It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Subs Making Deep Arctic Dive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Russian Subs Making Deep Arctic Dive

news.bbc.co.uk

Two Russian mini-subs have made a test dive to the floor of the Arctic Ocean near Russia's most northerly islands.
The subs reached a depth of 1.3km (0.8 miles) at a point 87km north of the Franz Josef Land archipelago.

The dives were a trial run ahead of a planned descent later this week to leave the Russian flag on the seabed 4km below the North Pole.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.gulf-times.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia stakes its claim on North Pole in underwater search for oil

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This is being done to further validation Russia's claim on natural resources in a regon to extend to the north pole. So the subs will be looking at geologic feachers as well as planting the Russian flag. The way I look at it no matter what happens the scientific evidence gathered will be worth while.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here's a new article on the subject which says the two Russian subs are nearing the dive site. It also goes into some details and risks associated with the dive.

Russian subs near Arctic target
Submarines accompanying a Russian naval mission aimed at boosting Moscow's claim to Arctic territory are shortly expected to dive below the North Pole.
The two Mir submarines plan to dive to the ocean floor, 4,200m (14,000ft) below the pole, to carry out tests and plant a capsule with a Russian flag.

A Russian official said the "risky and heroic" mission was comparable to "putting a flag on the Moon".

There is also a map of the Arctic showing territory lines and the area under dispute. Russia is trying to prove that the Lomonosov ridge is a land feature which will give them claim over the area.

I agree with Red Golem that it will be interesting to see what is discovered on this dive though I can only see this attempted territorial claim by Russia can only lead to problems in the future.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Jack
Thanks for posting. I unfortunately do feel the territorial claims will cause some problems in the future. I just also like to focus on that the cold war is over. So hopefully any problems will be able to be worked out in a peaceful mutually respectable manor.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
They say that it will not be decided till 2010 ish. So its a wait and see.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's all about the oil. Whenever the world starts getting close to running out, the more valuble a piece of land in freezing water under a shelf of ice will seem.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Dumb and risky political stunt, lets hope something does not happen so we don't get another stellar Kursk type rescue. It would be kind of embarrassing for other western nations to come to the call again. Love the moon comment by the way...

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well, Russia finally did get down there. They dropped off a flag on the Arctic floor today. Reports started hitting the wires about an hour or so ago.

So now what, does Russia own the North Pole?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yes I saw they made it down, and I hope back safely. Does not mean they own the north pole yet. As I recall they need to prove the same geologic formations or something like that. That is why I said the scientific data from this dive and future ones is what will prove most important.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
So now what, does Russia own the North Pole?

Umm, no. Dropping flags does not mean anything official. The US does not own the moon either.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I can see something possibly in the timing of all this, with the US on the brink of committing the rest of its military when the $^^^ finally hits the fan over in the middle east - and as we know Russia (like all other countries) is not above waging war by proxy, could nudge things in the right direction so that at the best time they move in on all this territory they got their eye on - and no one will have the time - money - resources left to fend them off.

Sneaky Ruskies
(but the US will prob just arm the polar bears)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
They have made it to the floor and planted the flag, I wouldve made the post about it here if i wouldve seen this thread first. Instead, I posted it on this thread

new topics

top topics

join