It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

queen mary 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

SOUTHAMPTON, England (Reuters) - The world's largest cruise ship, the $800 million Queen Mary 2, set off across the Atlantic on its maiden voyage on Monday.

Bathed in multicolored lights like a floating city, smoke winding out of its enormous stack, the QM2 drifted out of the English port of Southampton, bound on a 14-day journey to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

As it left the harbor fireworks filled the night sky.
The vessel's 17 decks include five swimming-pools, sweeping staircases, a grand ballroom, a 360-degree promenade deck and a host of luxury shops.

Its operator Cunard Line, part of American cruise group Carnival Corp, said the maiden voyage sold out months ago. It hopes the ship will revive the mystique of ocean liners from the age before jets made travel across the Atlantic routine.

A one-way passage from Southampton to New York starts from $1,817 rising to $28,000 per head, plus a daily service charge.

Parallels to Titanic?

The world's largest cruise liner, unmatched in size, luxury and elegance, sets sail amid much fanfare on its maiden voyage.

It leaves from Southampton, England - just as Titanic did on its maiden voyage in 1912.

It is owned by the Cunard Line, the same cruise line which owned the ship (the Carpathia) which picked up the Titanic's survivors.

Could the Queen Mary 2 be doomed?
Obviously not victim of an iceberg, but possibly a terror attack? Wouldn't it be an inviting target? What impact would it have? It would be an international incident.
As big a maritime tragedy as Titanic, as unbelieveable as 9/11, and as politically important as the Lusitania.*

Any Thoughts?

*To the warmongers, the general public and the history books.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I hope not. I look forward to sailing on QM2.

of course that ship and many others could be possible terror targets, don't know if the terrorists would single her out though...there are probably more vunerable cruise lines out there.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
of course that ship and many others could be possible terror targets, don't know if the terrorists would single her out though...there are probably more vunerable cruise lines out there.

But none to match the "Super-Bowl-type" event atmosphere of this particular voyage/cruise ship.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango
But none to match the "Super-Bowl-type" event atmosphere of this particular voyage/cruise ship.

exactly why the terrorists would go after it.....too high profile....don't you think the british govt would have taken every security measure possible.

i feel terrorist will go after big targets but ones that we sleep on and take for granted...not one that we have our attentions focused on.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

i feel terrorist will go after big targets but ones that we sleep on and take for granted...not one that we have our attentions focused on.

I agree, but the terrorist knows that the gov't will increase security to easy targets.

So the terrorists will attack not the easy ones, but high profile ones. Remember the terrorist wants attention to drawn to them and their cause.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

exactly why the terrorists would go after it.....too high profile....don't you think the british govt would have taken every security measure possible.

But what kind of security does it really have? Are there soldiers and artillery on board to fend off possible suicide boaters?
Is it being accompanied by any ships?

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Look kinda top heavy to me. Will probably roll over in a gale.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I would love to take a trip on the Queen Mary II. The experience would be worth the cost, I think.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The Queen Mary 2, has arrived safely, completing her maiden transatlantic voyage from London to Fort Lauderdale. "A procession of Coast Guard and Navy vessels protected the Queen Mary 2, and hundreds of people lined the shores and nearby high-rises to get a look at the $800 million ocean liner. More than a dozen law enforcement and television helicopters hovered overhead and a small plane pulling a banner reading "Fort Lauderdale welcomes QM2" circled above."

I'm going to drive out to the port this afternoon with the kids, show them what a "real ship looks like"

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Yes, it has quite a little flotilla around it, hehe... Some great pics on the tube of it, as it's in our state now.... It does look a tad top-heavy, but I'm sure most waves are but a nuisance to that bohemoth....

top topics

join