It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your survival fitness?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Okay, let's say for whatever reason, you need to make more than 20 miles through the ruggedest terrain in your local area. You have a day to do it.

Could you survive the journey physically and still be able to function well enough to make camp?

Now, let's say you've got shoes, shorts, a t-shirt a few matches and a cheap folding pocketknife. The rest of your gear is not with you.

Now do you think you can make it?

How many of you have actually made it?

Last week I started out by going for a little stroll up my block. I had my t-shirt, boxers, and boots on. I had a cheap little knife in my waistband because i wanted to gather some plants to identify, and some matches in my sock in a bag. I planned on walking maybe a mile. I wandered around, and without really realizing it (I was having fun!) I was in a canyon on the other side of the mountains several miles from town. Since I was already down in the canyon, i figured i'd explore it some, so down i went. By this time it got hot, and my little stroll turned into a quest for water. I spent the next several hours in the blazing sun with NO cloud cover (when i left it looked like rain) walking through the wash, digging holes, and looking for food. I had no problem finding water and followed this wash for at least 10 miles before finally coming out on a local trail/road. Along the way down the wash I found a spot where nobody's probably ever been, that had prickly pear fruits the size of small apples. A couple of these made for a good lunch.

The hardest part was the walk back, 15+ miles back to town half of which was on pavement. When got back to civilization so to speak, i had no access to water, and a greuling death march back to town. In contrast, it was much easier to travel across natural terrain than to march the same distance on asphalt and hardpack.

It was a fun trip though, and I found some new areas that i need to explore further.

What kinds of distances do you all usually cover on a walk?

Last fall I was averaging 20 miles of trail a night as per my GPS, and my buddy and I would cover that distance in about 5 hours with no difficulty at 7000'+ altitude over steep mountainous terrain. This year i've lost about 80lbs and am in better shape, and 20 miles is a cakewalk for me. The only problem I have is I can't find anyone to hike with, nobody else seems to want to walk more than a mile or two. My 11 year old cousin came with me on a 7-8 mile steep bushwhacking up and down trek that involved 3 summits, without a peep of complaint. So far she's one of the most rugged people i've been hiking with as far as being able to keep up and take care of herself.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Recent events have taught me that in a bug out situation, I'm dead. People will be walking by and pointing at me and saying, "Wow, look at that poor dead guy!"

I went to the gathering of the Rainbow family and had to hike about five miles in. It was all downhill and not too bad. The hike out was uphill and damn near gave me a coronary though. I kept having to rest and was actually thinking, "I'm going to die, here in the forest, surrounded by freakin' hippies!"

Just last night I went to a gathering of writers for a local magazine, I'm one of them. It was only five or six blocks away so I walked. The walk was uphill. By the time I got there I was drenched in sweat, sat in the bathroom for the longest time wondering if heat stroke would finally end the suffering.

I survived, But I learned some valuable lessons.

The wupy is a domesticated animal. I need air conditioning. I need a vehicle to safely deliver me to my destination. Not only will I not survive the end of the world, I'll be the first to go.

Hell, I'm going to have a yard sell and get rid of all my survival gear. I'll never get the chance to use it regardless of what happens.

wupy

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
....and this gent's is why I started working out, again! Back,calves, treadmill and stair climber. Up to 13 min. on that beast.

Roper

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I couldn't do it now. At some points in my life, I've been in good enough shape that I could have done it, like when I was working hard labour jobs.

I've done day hikes in the past, and they pretty much handed my arse to me on a silver platter. The longest one I ever did was something like 25-30 kilometers (like 18 miles or so) and I managed that one alright, but that was mostly because two days before, I'd done another one about half the distance, and felt like I was going to die at the end of it. The first one prepared me for the second.

Neither one was particularly rough terrain, though they were both up on mountains, so there was, naturally, going uphill half the distance. Both hikes I had a bottle or two of water. The first hike, it was all gone very early, and if we hadn't passed a mountain stream, I'd have been hurting even worse. The second one, I managed much better, and I still had excess water at the end.

With a little training, I could be in shape. I'm just too lazy, and, as mrwupy said, "The wupy is a domesticated animal" applies to me just as well as to him.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
When I was about 25 I did a competition that involved covering 100 miles in 4 days in the fastest possible speed. The race was broken down into 4 equally-sized parts. Can't remember the time we made (it was a few years ago!), but we did well. My feet were in a state though. These days I still have to carry weight quickly over long distances.

Our annual combat fitness test (CFT) includes an 12.8km (8 mile) tab (walk) in under two hours carrying 25kg of kit plus weapon and water. The pre deployment advanced combat fitness test (ACFT) has an element that involves a 20km tab carrying 30kg in 3hrs 30min one day to represent an advance to combat, and a 20km tab carrying 20kg in 3hrs the next day to represent the tab back. We train for this type of thing all the time to maintain fitness.

Basically, I think I'll be OK.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have, over the last eight years or so, developed a form of osteoporosis in both of my knees. My "bone-man" told me that I've lost about 50% of the cartilage in my knees and, frankly, it has proven to be quite debilitating at times. Nevertheless, I know that I could still traverse distance of 20km or more in a day.

I don't think that I could keep up this pace for any extended period -- especially over hilly terrain -- but, then, it would probably depend upon my motivation. Nevertheless, I still try to go on long walks as often as I can. Walking through woodlands is one of my favorite activities.

Yeah, at times my knees bother me and the pain can be troublesome but, still, I try to push myself while limiting any intake of pain-killers. Perhaps I'm a bit of a masochist but I really don't like taking heavy analgesics. I find that if I pace myself and if I move in a conscious and thoughtful manner, I can typically get by without pain-killers while still being able to cover some respectable distances.

My doctor has already told me that I am a definite candidate for knee replacement but that I should hold off as long as possible. I'm only 54 and I was told that it would be to my advantage to delay any knee replacement for as long as possible. My knees do inhibit some of my activities but, for the most part, I do what I want -- in moderation. But if I were in a real survival situation, I know that I could cover some real distance, even if I had to crawl.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm not overly fit, but I do have a lot of stamina. My job entails walking or standing for 8/9 hours without a break, and I can walk reasonably happily for as long as necessary with decent rest periods. I'm pretty confident that if necessary, I could cover 20 miles in a day.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Being 20 years old, I could definately make it, but I would probably be pretty exhausted when I finished and sweating buckets. 3 years ago I probably could do it without even breaking a sweat when I was in fitness and ran and worked out every day.

I've been meaning to get in better shape again, but I keep procrastinating... probably because the first year I started running, I got shin splints. I took a break and then the second year, my knee got somewhat messed up. I slam my feet down pretty hard when I run.

I have been saying in this forum for quite a while that fitness is one of the major things that people forget to prepare for when considering survival.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think a lot of you are underestimating yourselves...MRwupy for one. We all know the punishment the human body can take and still perform.

There were times in my military career that all I wanted to do was sit down and take that 70lb ruck off my back and cry about my feet. I didnt and though my body wanted to quit I couldnt accept quiting as an option. Now that was 7 yrs ago for me and I am in just as good of shape as I was then (yea right) BUT the key isnt the body it is the mind. Add a good shot of adrenalin and you can make it.

Paddyinf...we competed in a similar event called the centurion. 25 miles a day x's 4 days.

kafer

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Fitness takes time and dedication. I've started the long road back to better health by walking and eating right. As soon as able to, I'll fix my old mountain bike up and begin riding it. In 1991 I actually rode it 12 miles over up and down trails in in less than an hour and sure I could probably do 15-16 mph on the pavement back then. This is mountain bike not a road bike. I'm hoping to do a realistic 10-12 mph on the pavement with comfort tires and an ergonomic saddle without killing myself. I'll let the all the Armstrong types kill themselves by riding 100 miles per day. I'll do 50-60 and not kill myself. At 45, the knees just ain't what they used to be even 10 years ago. A man on a bicycle can out-distance anyone on horse in a day. Even on a cheap bike like mine.

I met a serious bicyclist about 11 years ago when I was driving from Texas to Arizona. It was late Sept and in the far west Texas desert region near Marfa. The temps had to be 120 dF+ on that 2-lane blacktop highway. This guy was on a recumbent bike pulling a small trailer with all his gear. He pulled into the picnic area out there that I'd stopped at to answer the call of nature. It was 3pm and blazing hot . I asked him how far he'd travelled and he said he'd was on a road trip from Portland,OR ! I had a cooler in my truck and let him have my remaining bottled water. He asked if I knew how far it was to the next town? I told him about 45 miles and he just shrugged his shoulders, thanked me for the cold water and started pedaling. He looked to be about 60 y.o. or older. He may of been a life-long cyclist but even so he's living proof that you can be in great shape at any age if you put your mind to it.

Now that in think about it, he also could have been an escaped mental patient, too.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Cardio is definitely important for Sit X. I was running 5 miles every weekend, but I noticed my knee acting up a bit for a few days after sometimes. So I got ahold of a mountain bike and started doing 15 mile rides instead. Much better IMO.

Sheer physical strength is optional IMO, even though I do flys to maintain upper body strength. Brute strength went out with the invention of the gun. So I suppose the theory is predicated upon ones stockpile.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
....and this gent's is why I started working out, again! Back,calves, treadmill and stair climber. Up to 13 min. on that beast.

Roper

Ditto!! I have always been very athletic, even as a child. When I got older I went from playing football and wrestling in school to studying Jiu Jitsu. About 4 years back I injured my foot which now requires surgery. As soon as I was able to walk with little pain, I went back to Jui Jitsu and ended up breaking my back. L2 and L3 to be exact. Since then I have recovered but my foot has gotten worse. Constant pain, a swelling on the soft tissue in the arch of my foot, basically I now walk around with a large lump on the bottom of my foot.

Due to things going on in this world and what I believe, I too went back to working out again. I block out the pain as best I can and try to run 2 miles a day. Usually I end up briskly walking that 2 miles. To make things more difficult for myself I do it wearing a Sauna Suit. I sweat to death daily and it has begun to increase my stamina. I refuse to be one of those people who's laziness and low fitness level came back to haunt them.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I am not in anywhere near as good of shape as I was during high school sports (soccer for three years and baseball/wrestling for one).

I've been on several backpacking trips that required a 60+ pound pack over ten miles a day. I can safely say I could pick that back up with little effort, although the first few days would be hell on earth so to speak.

I am going on a 3 week outdoor adventure later this month where I will be back up to par. Afterwards I plan on keeping up daily/weekly exercises as I feel quite lazy at this point.

Stretching every day may seem like a waste of time, but I find I'm much more limber the following day.

Even going on walks help one to stay in shape.

A feat that I happened to do while on a backpacking trip involved a 28 mile night hike.

It was during a full moon which made the ground lit up pretty well. I am not exactly sure how long it took me, but I started around 6-7pm and was done around 2am...I think, can't be certain though

If need be, I could probably pull that off again but only after a few weeks of strenuous activity. Or if I was on the run perhaps.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I KNOW that i can cover a 20+ miles and so can every healthy individual, it's not a physical challenge, it's a mental one.

I've done countles 20+km trecks with heavy loads. Longest single walk i've done was 90km in less than 48h with 40kg rucksack and a rifle,i'm not as fit as i was then but i think i still could do a 100km in 72h if needed.

One issue that some people miss is the fact that moving cross country is much more exhausting to those individuals not used to walking in woods. When i was in the military several men that were in much better shape than i was, got exhausted fast because they couldnt find the easiest routes/tried to move over rough spots when there were easier ones 5m away etc. So just treadmill workout wont do you much good... go out into the terrain like the one you expect to cross!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf

One issue that some people miss is the fact that moving cross country is much more exhausting to those individuals not used to walking in woods. When i was in the military several men that were in much better shape than i was, got exhausted fast because they couldnt find the easiest routes/tried to move over rough spots when there were easier ones 5m away etc. So just treadmill workout wont do you much good... go out into the terrain like the one you expect to cross!

Well Said! Running on a treadmill is fine for getting heart rate up and sweating profusely, but it's nowhere near the challenges of moving over real terrain.

Where I am, flat doesn't exist. If you're not going steep uphill, you're going steep downhill. By mean steep, i mean i spend a good portion of my "hikes" looking for good handholds. Everything is steep, jagged, and loose rocks, as well as cactus, agave, acacia, and a whole assortment of spiny things. I'm confident moving through this terrain at a fast pace. There's only a couple of people i know that can keep up with me, and one friend who actually is as masochistic as myself and will go up, down, or through anything and love every minute of it. When we go out, we flat out run trails, jog up and down stuff most people climb. By mile 10 we're usually laughing and chanting "DEATH MARCH, DEATH MARCH!" as we're getting warmed up. Most people i know would have needed to be airlifted out after following us for a few miles through the kind of stuff we hike, especially on a nice and dark stormy night. I love abuse.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
benevolent tyrant,

Have you tried any herbal supplements or MSM, glucosymine and condroitin type supplements? I'm a little bit younger than you, 48, but that's what I'm trying. I was broke up pretty bad right after New Years in a motorcycle accident,(Broke my hips in 3 places, 3 plates and 20 screws), so that has been my course to recovery. I also do it to help my knees, I've banged them up pretty good over the years. I only use analgesics if I have to, they are no good for the liver and kidneys.

EFA's and turmeric and bromelian are some of the supplements I use.

I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week riding the bike, treadmill and lifting weights so I can get back into the game.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by sharkman]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
As far as my "survival fitness", I train in weight lifting 5 days a week, as well as MMA style training 3 days a week.

I can walk a 10 mile journey around here with no problem whatsoever. Although running it would not be something I'd care to try lol.
The terrain here is all flat land, open fields, some forrested areas, LOTS of streams/creeks/ponds around, so travel, and access to water would be cake.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have enjoyed hiking in the woods since I was a kid. I still try to get away as often as I can. My dad lives on 80 acres in Michigans U.P. Woods with some small hills and huge sand drifts here and there. He gets mad at me because I just take off by myself and I'm gone for hours. I think I could handle 20 miles. I train at my husbands karate school and I used to ride my bike ten miles a day. Can't do every day anymore because of my schedule but whenever I can. I also take supplements, an antiaging forumla that helps with joints and muscle recovery and liquid zeolite to detox from envirnomental toxins.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well, I live in the Florida panhandle and if it's during the summer it would definitely be a challenge. Last night it was so hot and humid our windows were fogged till 2am. Not to mention I only live about 30 miles from the place where the final stage of Ranger training takes place. The woods are EXTREMELY dense, vines with thorns, poisonous snakes, spiders, bugs, you name it we got it. But I know I could make it. When I was about 10 I had some friends who lived about a mile from me so I'd run to their house or vice-versa and we'd go tramping about through the woods till it was dark, sometimes we even camped out there in lean-to's we made. If it wasn't for construction around my house a few would probably still be standing. I had one that survived 3 major hurricanes and 2 years of abuse before a house got built on top of it. Anyways, the main problem where I am is water, there's lots of it but none of it within 20 miles of my house is fresh water, just salt.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by lonemaverick

Hey I gre up on the Panhandle...where r u?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join