It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your survival fitness?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Between Destin and Panama City.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yup NORTHWOLF... 20 miles in a day should be easy...Take a look around next time your in the line at the store.. hehehe man there's going going to be alot of folk's falling out... I have walked/hunted the wood's/desert where ever I have lived daily, from the little mountains of NY to the Sky lslands of Az. covering long distance with minimal gear for up to 7 days alone. Totaly different dealio from gym/around the block/biking miles. Knowing how to read terain and get there the best way, for speed, under cover or for observation is a learned skill. But then again in sit-X type deal...unless your running from a cloud/crowd of death... whats time??? Your only as fast as the slowest person in your group...Another Glorious Day to Excel...

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My fitness level at 25 years old is good. I wouldn't walk 20miles for fun though, only if I had to. I guess if you start out at 6:00am I'm estimating 1 mile would take roughly 20 minutes to walk so whats the math on what time you should finish? I'd take along with me 6 MetRX 100 meal replacement bars to be eaten every 3 hours to supply nutrients to the body. I don't know how much water I would require. I would take my compass, a must if your in the woods. You can buy a cheap one at wal-mart in the sporting goods section for 5$. I'm scared of bears, and mountain lions so I probaly would need some hunting mace.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
27 years in the military, every form of advance survival training why yea I think I can even at 47… The other good part is my family can too

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thought I'd dig this thread back up and see how everyone's training is going.

After two hours in the gym today and a stepper reading two miles climbed.. I had to assess the situation as this....

If I ever come across a blummin 2 mile high staircase that needs climbed regularly..then I'm getting one of those stairlifts fitted.

So happy to be back in regular training though after 3 years in n out of hospital..Ops n physio sux big style..Anyone tried jogging with a back brace? hehe

Back in again tomorrow to stretch out the soreness that will no doubt accompany my waking hours in the morning.
I've set myself a harsh target of 10kg a month to be lost due to being WAYYY behind planned rehab this year.(NOT my fault..NHS waiting lists..honest)..Not so much 'fat' as..ermm.. 'resting muscles'

Any and all miracle training/toning regimes welcomed.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Good to hear your getting back into the training routine

10Kg is a big target to reach but with determination I'm sure you'll acomplish it no problem

Keep it up!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Wey aye man.. nay probs

I just have to watch the high impact stuff for a little while longer is all.. So base jumping is out.

It's my own fault for pushing too soon last year causing more damage than good..no stopping now though

Cardio is still fine,strength is fine due to working with loads.
Just need that extra stamina again.
Running was my thing but apprehension over L1 vertebrae damage still playing heavily psychologically-wise during every step.
Sure it'll wear off after a bit though.
Suck it up man..

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Well you need to brush up so you can base jump! Look at all the sitX's Bear Grylls puts him self in...always starts by jumping out a helicopter

Seriously man good luck to you, I bet in a few months time after some good solid training you will be fit as a fiddle and ready to go.

For the cardio side my personal choice is to hoof it every where on my bike, very good exercise + its funnnn!

orrrr you could chase them pesky pheasants! I bet that would get the cardio up in no time!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110
orrrr you could chase them pesky pheasants! I bet that would get the cardio up in no time!

Dangblasted Spuggie won't get away from me next time.

Looking about for a mountain-bike suitable for a 'heavier weight'.
Need some security measures in place first though,otherwise It won't stay for very long.
Concrete-in bolt and a decent chain.
(no garage)

When I'm set-up I'll join u for a whizz around.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
EXcellent thread. I think that many people -- having never hit the wall and recovered -- are unaware of what their personal limits are. Never forget also that your spirit, your drive can kick into a higher 'orbital energy' (a chemistry term) within the context of certain situations .... i.e. saving a loved one, etc.

I am 50 years old. I've found that the past 15 years or so, I often do things the harder, more muscular-intensive way. I like this. I also think that entropy wreaks havoc on us....... if we don't USE it, we might loose the ability to use it. Just today, as an example...... I was spray-painting 60 feet of back-to-back three-tiered shelving. Okay spray-painting, no big deal, but I could've hooked up a 2 1/4 gallon paint pot and had the spray-gun weight ONLY to contend with. I chose to heft the quart cup all day long, even when spraying undersides of shelves and will do so again tomorrow. My pecs and lats are sore, and it's a good sore.

I think we could all stand to -- even those who are very active -- press our limits, find out what we can do (within the recommendations of our physicians). I KNOW I can walk well in excess of 20 miles. MY Bride, who has had R. arthritis in her joints since her 20's..... she is pushing. She pushes every day. A good part of why she does push is to make herself better, stronger. I think endurance is the better part of strength.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

After two hours in the gym today and a stepper reading two miles climbed.. I had to assess the situation as this....

Were you on the stepper for 2hrs? I'm up to 30 min. I guess I could go longer but I don't wanta'.

I've lost 14# BTW Arms, shoulders, back and legs getting bigger. I gotta buy shirts with larger neck and shoulders.

Roper

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

AgentT, hey!

We just ordered (and is going to get here this week! weeeeeeee!) a tandem trike from www.industrialbicycles.com. Some o' these bikes and trikes are VERY heavy duty. Some can carry heavy loads in addition to your own weight.

Good onya, git dat bike and go! We are nursing old vehicles and it's about time to get another cheapo, reliable vehicle from Japan. Instead we got the trike.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Twenty miles with bug out gear, rifle & ammo & whining wife would be tough at present. I grew up in the swamps of Southern Alabama but that was 50+ years ago. Back then we lived in the woods and as 10-14 yr old kids would do over 20 miles in a day plus a lot of tree climbing, swimming, squirrel chasing and running from dogs, snakes & irate watermellon farmers. I now live in the Northern part of the state and my property drops and rises appx 1200 ft in a series of small mountains or hills covered in hardwood forest and limestone rock. I am preparing by hiking with my ALICE pack loaded light, rifle with sling and climbing pole. I hope to work up to full bug-out load and be able to do 10mi at night with NVG's in unfamiliar terrain. In my mind and at my age, I can't see the need nor do I have the temperment to fall back from my home position more than a few miles before I would make a stand in a previously stocked secondary position.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Roper

Not totally..
I'm on a cardio drive so I'm doing 20step,20bike,20row,20run,20step again..Then finishing with a 20 min anaerobic weight session.light weights Slooooow movements no rest..it kills too.

Was hoping it would help me sleep but hey.. Still awake lol..

I want to do the versiclimb..but it's right in the centre of the gym and everyone will see my bum then.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

save me some spuggy I heard its finger lickin' goood

If your after a good solid bike you should go for the same one I have...its done 6ft drop off with me on (I'm only about 11.5-12 stone). My uncle is 15 stone though and has the exact same bike and loves it, if you want a bit of comfort though go for a full suspension type they can take quite a bit of punishment weight wise (ever seen a 22 stone man ride a bike?
)

For storing your bike you dont need to worry about making a bike rack for it...just store it in the hoose!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Sounds like great fun.

I was thinking about some kind of rikshaw or mini donkey cart..would be easy to design and build too.. plank n two wheels

I have some varying trek-bike locations around for training..beaches/river banks/woods etc.. crying out to be ridden.
Just an extra few kg's could be the death of some aluminium wheels after a hard landing..which I'm fond of doing.

Jump first n look later motto.. ouch.

Fred..

Down in Sheffield next weekend.. very tempted to stop off here.
www.decathlon.co.uk...

VERY good reviews for a low-end bike.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I am doing a blatant bump for this thread as it hasn't been added to for almost a year and i know we have lots of newcomers to the survival forum. Plus it's such an important topic.

Your survival fitness....what a subject!

I know this gets split into different catagories, physical and mental/emotional, but i am interested in how people here are getting on with this?

As far as physical preparations is concerned, i know a few factors affect how much you can train. Age (this is not totaly the case though), health/disabilities etc.

Time, i do not count as a factor usualy. If someone has the time to sit on ATS or watch TV for an hour a day, then they have the time to train. End of subject!

Do you get out regularly with your BOB? I ask because i guaruntee there will be a lot of people who have a great BOB, but probably couldn't even lift the thing, let alone walk a few miles with it.

The only way to get used to carrying weight is to do it. Get out there and go for a wander, no-ones talking about military style speed marches, if TSHTF you'd probably have enough motivation to get your backside moving anyway, but it's worth trying out a few miles when you get time.

Basic strength exercises can be done with just your bodyweight, and there are a million sites on the net regarding this if you Google it.

Mental fitness is a big one too. I know you can't replicate a Sit X style mental pressure, but you can do small things now. When you are in bits at the end of a training session or long walk....instead of finishing....do another mile, even if you are at the end of your tether. It's amazing how much you can pull out of yourself when you put your mind to it.

A training partner can be great too, even if it's just a walking partner. Give each other motivation to improve on distance and speed if you are up to it.

If you are not up to walking, can you cycle with your BOB on your back? Might sound silly but if thats what you have to do, then get out there and try it.

If you found yourself in a full-on survival situation, you'd be wanting to conserve energy rather than using it if possible.

Just interested in what people do here to keep themselves in shape?

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Very good points made, im early 40's with a knackered knee cap but not overweight, can still lift my own body weight. My BOB is layered, I dont have all my eggs in one basket, that way if I resort to shanksies pony I can ditch items if need be. Having everything in your BOB is a big no, no. Vitals in pockets, then belt kit, then rucksack.

I cycle, walk and drive the good lady round the bend

Rgds

[edit on 25/3/09 by Dark Vengeance]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Yup. I've been taking my pack out when possible. There are other threads already documenting this.

I would add though that there is no point in going for the full gym "arrgghhh!" routine.
A bit of fat is a good thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Great topic! This is something that I have really been thinking about alot lately. I am 31 and have been going to the gym for 2 years. I have really improved alot in weights and cardio but was finding that I just wasn't enjoying it as much anymore. So I started to look around the net for new ideas...I have found that there is several movements that are taking place. The general concept is to get in shape and do it in a more natural way than going to the gym and lifting a metal bar with plates on it. Putting on muscle mass is definately not a priority for a survivalist. Muscle takes calories. The more muscle you have the more calories you need to function. Gaining strength, agility, flexibility, and stamina are all much more in line with the survivalists goals. Of course these can also be developed in a gym.

Here is a website that illustrates what I am talking about...

MovNat

I am not suggesting that anyone give money for their training. I put up the link for illustration only. The general concept is one we all can understand. Getting our bodies to the point that we can move in our natural environment quickly and efficiently for short bouts of time or extended periods if need be. Being able to move objects (or yourself) in the real world is much different than in a controlled environment like the gym. Moving rocks and limbs up and down slopes with loose gravel or over rocky terrain is something that you have to do to get quick and efficient at. Or moving with a pack through brush (this can be killer on the legs). I personally have adopted the concept and just began this week to implement it. Though I don't have any national parks or open ranges to spend my time, our park system is pretty good. So I just started running and exploring. Whenever I found a tree with a low hanging limb I did pull ups on it or climbed it. Moved rocks around...ran on steep inclines, did push-ups etc...It was the most fun I have had working out in quite a while and I was so sore the next day that I had to take the day off from working out.

Give it a try...Your body will love you for it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join