It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New (to me) device - convert vinyl to MP3 or CD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm usually not up on cutting edge stuff, but I saw this today and don't recall seeing it before. It's a turntable with a USB output. You can take those vinyl records and convert them to CD or MP3!

This is pretty cool for someone like me who has a collection of about 300 LPs. (That's music on vinyl for you young 'uns.)

Anyway here's the link for the Ion LP Ripping turntable with USB output.

Actually, LP is a bit of a misnomer, since it works with 33 1/3, as well as 45, & 78. $150 seems pretty reasonable.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yes I have seen that. I'm a dj that prefers vinyl. To be able to just take a USB Stick with all your music is a very cool concept! I'm looking to get Torq or Final Scratch, because I just love the feel and flexibility of vinyl.

Stanton has one too.

T.90

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Has anyone used this yet?

If the sound quality is good, I'm VERY interested...

What about the scratches pops and crackles though?

While in certain respects they are part of the charm, I would want to back up those records in as high a quality as possible. Mind you I'd still appreciate listen to them on the original format because I still find the actual sound quality of a record superior to a CD.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is all brand new to me (obviously) but I did find some reviews on this particular Ion brand model here on Amazon.

If this works as well as it's supposed to, and can be set up by a technically functional illiterate analog doofus like me, I'm very interested, too.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Mind you I'd still appreciate listen to them on the original format because I still find the actual sound quality of a record superior to a CD.

Correct there, Djarums. The bass response is sooo much better off of vinyl. Vinyl just sounds better in my opinion.

Cug

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have one of those, pretty cool.

Originally posted by Djarums

What about the scratches pops and crackles though?

You use a plug-in in your recording software that removes them.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Used to sell these things at a place I worked. TBH, I thought they were cheap rubbish, but then I guess I'm a snob, as I have a pair of 1210's and an 05 pro. IIRC they retailed for £99 and I'm sure you could pick up a 1210 second hand for perhaps double that, which obviously more of an initial outlay, but reckon it'd serve you better in the long run as they are rugged pieces of kit. Of course, you'd need a preamp mixer, or a sound card with a phono input.

I dunno, you get what you pay for.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I've got 2 Stanton STR8-150's. They have served me very well so far, and are just as solid as the 1210's. They cost the same too and have a couple of cool features that the 12's don't, but I rarely ever use them. One thing that is good about them is that they have SPDIF out, so I can digitally record right into my computer.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Anyway here's the link for the Ion LP Ripping turntable with USB output. Actually, LP is a bit of a misnomer, since it works with 33 1/3, as well as 45, & 78. $150 seems pretty reasonable.

Cheers Yeahright for your link to the

"Ion LP Ripping turntable with USB output".

I will check out the reviews

on your "Amazon" link

soon as I get a spare minute.

I too have an old large and valuable vinyl collection (Beatles & related).

Analogue has a "soul" compared to digital compact disc's which are "souless".

top topics

join