It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unruly schoolboys or sex offenders?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Unruly schoolboys or sex offenders?

www.oregonlive.com

The two boys tore down the hall of Patton Middle School after lunch, swatting the bottoms of girls as they ran -- what some kids later said was a common form of greeting.

After hours of interviews with students the day of the February incident, the officer read the boys their Miranda rights and hauled them off in handcuffs to juvenile jail, where they spent the next five days.

the boys face 10 misdemeanor charges -- five sex abuse counts, five harassment counts
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
this is crazy....when is this overkill punishment going to stop?
how about the principle/guidance counselor and the parents get together and teach the kids why this is not allowed?
i would think that would be better than what is going on now...possible 10 years in jail..sex offender list for life?
this world is going nuts

www.oregonlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
okay, They don't deserve 10 yrs in Juvie but they do deserve the harassment charges. At 13 these boys know right from wrong. No one should have to sit down and explain to them why they're in trouble. Even my 10 yr. old is aware of what appropiate/inappropriate touching consists of.

Peace. K*

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The story broke several days ago and is already posted the MODs also thought it was not worthy of alternate news so they moved it to General news on BTS

www.belowtopsecret.com...

In other words you got scooped happens to the best of us.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok, lets get real for sec.

Was what they did ok, ah...not really. It is school and they should know better.

That said, is it right to send them to jail for 10 years......HELL NO!!!!

This is another case of the politically correct going WAY overboard.

Should they be talked to and told what is and what is not acceptable in school-sure.

Should they be punished for breaking what I believe is school rules,.....ok.

But what they are trying to do is stupid, at best.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Sex offender !

Any American caught not saluting Bush, engaging in double think or working for slave wages is a criminal !

No regular human activity will be tolerated !

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So what happens when a girl at school pinches a boys arse, are they sex offenders.

There is always a double standard in this, and i bet those girls are abusing a sytem to get these boys into trouble. being labeled a sex offender can wreck an innocent boys life, for what touching someones arse.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
okay, They don't deserve 10 yrs in Juvie but they do deserve the harassment charges.

Are you kidding me? When I was in school (which was a long time ago, but still), boys used to do this all the time and girls did too (to a lesser extent). Was it right? No. But have them suspended if anything, they don't need to have CHARGES brought up against them. Jeez what is wrong with people these days

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I know someone who was labeled for life as one of these things, because he would not go with a girl at school, she abused the system to get his life ruined.

This stuff can be so dangerous, and there are plenty of evil kids in school, that will abuse these things.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre
okay, They don't deserve 10 yrs in Juvie but they do deserve the harassment charges. At 13 these boys know right from wrong. No one should have to sit down and explain to them why they're in trouble. Even my 10 yr. old is aware of what appropiate/inappropriate touching consists of.

Peace. K*

then do you think the girls deserve harassment charges?

i think someone does need to sit down and talk to them...they were not the only ones participating and the issue is the over reaction as usual.

shots, thank you once again for trying to play mod....that crap is really annoying you know.....if a mod wants to move it or lock it, thats fine....why do guys like you always have to play mod? let the thread go till it goes....

-------------

this over reaction crap is happening far too often...i think this is great alt news cause our young people are facing harassment charges and registry's that will effect them for the rest of their life for essentially doing nothing at all.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
So what happens when a girl at school pinches a boys arse, are they sex offenders.

apparently if a girl does it she is labelled a victim....in this very story it says boys and girls were doing it and have been doing it for some time....
boy does it=prison
girl does it=nothing

total BS

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
this over reaction crap is happening far too often...i think this is great alt news cause our young people are facing harassment charges and registry's that will effect them for the rest of their life for essentially doing nothing at all.

Yep, know that to be true, the problem is when people abuse the system to get back at people. Then theres no talking them out of it. At least these boys will know if they go on some list or not, while others are labeled without doing nothing, and it wrecks there life.

apparently if a girl does it she is labelled a victim....in this very story it says boys and girls were doing it and have been doing it for some time....
boy does it=prison
girl does it=nothing

total BS

there are countless cases of girls starting things and people can see how this system can be abused.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

There is always a double standard in this, and i bet those girls are abusing a sytem to get these boys into trouble. being labeled a sex offender can wreck an innocent boys life, for what touching someones arse.

I agree here, I feel that far to often females are able to manipulate the justice system by claiming victim status and taking advantage of the fact that courts or so strict on domestic violence, sex charges, etc.

I once read an article by a former law enforcement official that stated that something like a little under half of rape charges are made up by angry females to get back at ex boyfriends/husbands, people they dont like, etc and that similar numbers exist for domestic violence and that in many cases it is really started by the female but popular belief holds it that females dont fight, etc so we automatically assume its all the mans fault.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
When I was that age, we were told not to do it again. That's it. It went both ways, and nothing serious came of it, other than maybe a teen pregnancy.

I first heard this story on the morning AM news today. Apparently, one of these boys went a bit overboard and grabbed a girls breast also. That's taking it a bit far. However, still no reason to be put on the offenders list.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

I agree here, I feel that far to often females are able to manipulate the justice system by claiming victim status and taking advantage of the fact that courts or so strict on domestic violence, sex charges, etc.

I once read an article by a former law enforcement official that stated that something like a little under half of rape charges are made up by angry females to get back at ex boyfriends/husbands, people they dont like, etc and that similar numbers exist for domestic violence and that in many cases it is really started by the female but popular belief holds it that females dont fight, etc so we automatically assume its all the mans fault.

I am glad someone agrees, i know someone whose life was destroyed, and she followed him around for years wrecking his life(because something did not happen at school). I bet if the male went ot the police they would of just laughed him out of the station, but if its a male doing it to a female, they can say what ever they want.

I always wondered why its not a crime for people to make knowingly flase claims against anyone, and the police know its false. You would think the teachers would have more sense, to just sit those people down and talk about it, rather than letting baseless accusations go forward.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
When I was that age, we were told not to do it again. That's it. It went both ways, and nothing serious came of it, other than maybe a teen pregnancy.

I first heard this story on the morning AM news today. Apparently, one of these boys went a bit overboard and grabbed a girls breast also. That's taking it a bit far. However, still no reason to be put on the offenders list.

i didn't know the part about the breasts....i can see it being a small problem if maybe one kid was constantly doing it to the other kid but the article made it seem like several kids have been doing this over some time now........unless you're murdering, raping, molesting, you don't deserve 10 years in jail...

After hours of interviews with students the day of the February incident, the officer read the boys their Miranda rights and hauled them off in handcuffs to juvenile jail, where they spent the next five days

^^^so the 13 year olds needed to sit in the dh for 5 days? THAT should be punishment enough

Now, Cory Mashburn and Ryan Cornelison, both 13, face the prospect of 10 years in juvenile detention

^^^^when they hit 18, won't they be transfered to adult prison?

The records show that other students, boys and girls, were slapping one another's bottoms. Two of the girls identified as victims have recanted, saying they felt pressured and gave false statements to interrogators.

^^^^so the other boys and girls get a pass. thats nice....justice is served

A leading expert called the case a "travesty of justice" that is part of a growing trend in which children as young as 8 are being labeled sexual predators in juvenile court

^^^^i agree with the leading expert on this one

To Rhonda Pope, mother of Christian Richter, 13, a girl named in the court papers as one of the victims, the charges are justified. "Slapping somebody on the butt is sexual harassment, and it is a crime," she said. "Considering what was going on and that my daughter was offended, it is a crime. And it's not OK."

^^^so someones mommy is mad....i wonder if the girl told her mommy that this has been going on for some time and many students are in on it....doubt it

All told, Roache interviewed 14 students besides Cornelison and Mashburn. Seven confessed to bottom-swatting, including one girl who described it as "a handshake we do." Two of the alleged victims said they had swatted boys' buttocks themselves.

^^^^i guess they get a pass too. strange how things work

A day later, the juvenile court held a hearing on whether the boys should be released. The courtroom was packed with Patton students and families of both boys -- many were crying. The boys were there, too, in shackles and jail outfits.

^^^^they needed shackled?

Two of the alleged victims spontaneously offered to testify on behalf of the boys. Under oath, they told the judge they were friends and did not feel threatened by them. The two girls also testified they felt compelled, during the initial interviews with Tillery and Roache, to say things that weren't true.

"Well, when the (vice) principal asked me stuff, I kind of felt pressured to answer stuff that I was uncomfortable, and that it hurt, but it really didn't," the girl said, explaining that she didn't think anything sexual went on.

^^^^maybe they should listen to the 'victims'

it's absolute CRAP

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

After hours of interviews with students the day of the February incident, the officer read the boys their Miranda rights and hauled them off in handcuffs to juvenile jail, where they spent the next five days

^^^so the 13 year olds needed to sit in the dh for 5 days? THAT should be punishment enough

Awful harsh for slapping rear.

Now, Cory Mashburn and Ryan Cornelison, both 13, face the prospect of 10 years in juvenile detention

^^^^when they hit 18, won't they be transfered to adult prison?

That's how it's supposed to work. After five years in juvie they'll probably be hardened enough for adult jail anyhow.

The records show that other students, boys and girls, were slapping one another's bottoms. Two of the girls identified as victims have recanted, saying they felt pressured and gave false statements to interrogators.

So they lied, and these boys are facing time for it?

To Rhonda Pope, mother of Christian Richter, 13, a girl named in the court papers as one of the victims, the charges are justified. "Slapping somebody on the butt is sexual harassment, and it is a crime," she said. "Considering what was going on and that my daughter was offended, it is a crime. And it's not OK."

^^^so someones mommy is mad....i wonder if the girl told her mommy that this has been going on for some time and many students are in on it....doubt it

How much you wanna wager that mommy was pinchin hinder when she was a teenie bopper?

A day later, the juvenile court held a hearing on whether the boys should be released. The courtroom was packed with Patton students and families of both boys -- many were crying. The boys were there, too, in shackles and jail outfits.

^^^^they needed shackled?

Apparently the courts found them to be a flight risk.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Way back when I went to middle school things like this were handled either by a male teacher/vice principal (meaning you were taken out in the hall and slammed around until you got the point) or worse,your parents were notified (meaning your dad took matters into his own hands).

This stuff is really getting ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
i think i want to start a grassroots movement.

"zero tolerence for zero tolerence policies"

you heard it here first

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
video here

video on fox here

top topics

<<   2 >>

join