It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Journalists Caught With 'Bomb'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Two journalists from The Daily Mirror were arrested yesterday when they tried to plant a 'bomb' on a train. They have performed similar stunts twice before with "success", exposing holes in the security. This is the first time they've been stopped.

Guardian: Mirror reporters held over fake bomb attempt

July 25, 2007

Two Daily Mirror journalists were arrested yesterday after attempting to plant a fake bomb on a train in what the newspaper called a "legitimate and justified journalistic experience".

[---]

The matter was still being investigated and no charges had yet been laid, police said.

[---]

"Last year Mirror journalists attempted and succeeded in planting a fake bomb on a nuclear train, which highlighted serious security lapses," a spokesperson for the paper said.

"We felt that it was a legitimate and justified journalistic exercise to repeat the action in the interests of public safety.

"We are happy to see that the security procedures have now improved."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They planted a bomb on a nuke train and on another train with explosives!

Mirror: WE PLANT 'BOMB' ON NUKE TRAIN

21/07/2006

'THE GATE WAS OPEN, THERE WERE NO SECURITY GUARDS.. I WALKED UP TO THE TRAIN AND PLANTED MY BOMB'

[---]

Nuclear transport expert Dr John Large has estimated an attack on containers of radioactive waste could kill 8,000 people in an instant.

Thousands more would become victims as a vast poisonous cloud of up to a hundred square miles drifted across Britain.

Mirror: THIS TRAIN IS LOADED WITH 200 TONNES OF ARTILLERY SHELLS, BULLETS, GRENADES AND MORTARS.. AND I'VE JUST PLANTED A 'BOMB'

15/01/2007

People would assume it is the most closely-guarded train in the land but in fact it's just like any other freight train.

"If someone wanted to sabotage it or hold up the military supply line, they wouldn't need to overpower anyone."

MPs yesterday said the Mirror's investigation had shown the ammo trains were scandalously vulnerable.

[---]

The revelation comes less than six months after the Mirror told how trains carrying deadly nuclear waste to Sellafield were at risk of terrorist attack after being left similarly unguarded at stations.

Sellafield.

Let's hope the security have improved. Them being caught this time is a good sign, but it could have been a lucky shot.

Related Thread:
Huge Radioactive Leak At Sellafield - UK

[edit on 2007/7/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Scary stuff when you think about.

Could go both ways, first time they could have been lucky in planting the bomb and second time everything went as normal ( I have my doubts though ).

Regardless, it shows that it can take only one attempt, lack-luster one at that, to cause damage.

I have to wonder if these little exercises put on by the 'Mirror' don't highlight advantage points for the terrorists.

Good story.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is excellent form of journalism. Hands dirty exposing the flaws of the system so when it is big headlines the people in charge have no other choice but to fix them. Takes guts so kudos for this team

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hey, why don't they just go and tell the terrorists what time of day and the exact location too? I'm all for exposing problems, but not in this manner. It was just sensationalism and a way to make a buck - not because they actually cared about anyone. Fear....fear....fear!! That's all they want to do is spread fear.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The journalists have been released on bail.

BBC: Reporters bailed over fake bombs

25 July 2007

Two journalists arrested while trying to plant a fake bomb on a freight train have been released on bail.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
On the one hand, you have to hand it to them for doing it.

On the other hand, fake or not, there are legitimate charges that can and should be brought to bear on them.

After all, didn't the 21/7 "bombers" claim it was a stunt? They are also helping anyone who wants to cause harm.

One thing that they seem to overlook is that they use white people to perform these stunts. The security services, whether they admit or not, use racial profiling to look for threats.

Now, if they really wanted to test the system, they should use two Asian guys with big beards called Abdul and Mohammed to try and plant the bombs. Lets see how well they do then.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think that the US , UK and other governments should have people on there books that do exactly this kind of things. By having people do this kind of work security flaws could be covered up before terror attacks and the security vulnerabilities could be kept secret and hopeful given less media coverage.

top topics

join