It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Colorado Professor Ward Churchill gets Fired for 9/11 Comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

University of Colorado Professor Ward Churchill gets Fired for 9/11 Comments

www.9news.com

BOULDER – The University of Colorado Board of Regents voted to fire Ward Churchill on Tuesday evening, prompting the promise of a lawsuit from the embattled professor.

The Board of Regents passed a motion to accept the recommendation from CU President Hank Brown to fire Churchill from his position in the Ethnic Studies department.

The measure passed with an 8 to 1 vote. The vote was made just after 5:30 p.m. and Cindy Carlisle was the dissenting vote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This was a long time coming, Bill O'Reilly grilled this guy nightly on Fox News in 2005 after he(churchill) likened the victims of 9/11 and the world trade center to Adolf Eichmann who helped carry out the Holocaust. academic misconduct, including plagiarism were the official reasons for the firing.

Churchill says he's not leaving, so I assume he'll be filing a lawsuit and fight the ruling although I dont see the purpose.

www.9news.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This is a black day for UC. Let's face it: plagiarism is rampant in the academic world and firing Churchill for that is pure hypocrisy when probably two-thirds of the academicians at the university could probably go down for the same charges if they were put under the microscope like Churchill has been.

The man's an idiot and I don't agree with his viewpoints, but he shouldn't be fired for speaking his mind.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I go to CU, but I have never had Mr. Churchill for a professor. I can say that many have expected this move for quite some time.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
I go to CU, but I have never had Mr. Churchill for a professor. I can say that many have expected this move for quite some time.

That's great. Now how do you FEEL about the firing?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think if he had never wrote the article about 9/11 and nazi's, he would not have lost his job. Its funny what things are allowed to slip past until you piss off someone. Then they go and dig up all this dirt to get the revenge they think you deserve.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
probably two-thirds of the academicians at the university could probably go down for the same charges if they were put under the microscope like Churchill has been.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

Apparently many of the student felt that the firing wasn't justified as noted by the concerted Boooing by the crowd.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The title to this thread is misleading. There is no proof that Churchill was fired for his 9/11 comments (which were petty and inappropriate, btw). He is a plagiarist and a poser. This is from the AMERICAN INDIAN MOVEMENT GRAND GOVERNING COUNCIL MINISTRY FOR INFORMATION
:

The sorry part of this is Ward Churchill has fraudulently represented himself as an Indian, and a member of the American Indian Movement, a situation that has lifted him into the position of a lecturer on Indian activism. He has used the American Indian Movement’s chapter in Denver to attack the leadership of the official American Indian Movement with his misinformation and propaganda campaigns.

Ward Churchill has been masquerading as an Indian for years behind his dark glasses and beaded headband. He waves around an honorary membership card that at one time was issued to anyone by the Keetoowah Tribe of Oklahoma. Former President Bill Clinton and many others received these cards, but these cards do not qualify the holder a member of any tribe. He has deceitfully and treacherously fooled innocent and naïve Indian community members in Denver, Colorado, as well as many other people worldwide. Churchill does not represent, nor does he speak on behalf of the American Indian Movement.

www.aimovement.org...

And yet, after yesterday's vote went down, what did he do?

Churchill and his supporters then participated in a Native American ceremony outside of the building.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
jsobecky, The lead-in, to the story on Drudge, says the same thing on the heading as I have here, the reason I believe is that this 9/11 comments were the academic misconduct part of the firing, whether they have been proven or not remains to be seen, I'm sure that will be the leading cause of the future lawsuit.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Let's face it: plagiarism is rampant in the academic world and firing Churchill for that is pure hypocrisy when probably two-thirds of the academicians at the university could probably go down for the same charges

Well if thats the case our higher education system is in worse shape than I thought. Maybe we should investigate more professors at Universities. If you are correct, then a housecleaning is in order IMO. I don't see it as a bad thing that he got busted for it. What message would it send to let a known plagiarizer still teach?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Maybe the thing to remember here is it you are lying about who you are and are plagiarizing others work then maybe it isn’t smart to go out into the mainstream and say crazy things that will draw a spotlight on yourself. His comments drew too much attention and when someone investigated him they found he was basically a fraud.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I agree the title is misleading.

He was officially fired for his plagiarism and other academic misconduct.

Of course, we all know none of this would have come to light if he hadn't put himself into the spotlight by making such controversial statements, but, in the end, there were plenty of other reasons he should have been fired and these were used to successfully get rid of him. I don't think he has any chance in the courts; he's gotten far more than he deserves already IMO.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

new topics

top topics

join