It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Land of the 'fraid, home of the scared

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Americans are being so conditioned to live in fear that they jump at their own shadows.
Case in point:
Aqua teen hunger force
A viral marketing campaign for a show on the cartoon network that had the bomb squad shaking in their boots.

Now in the latest example of fear ruling America we have College application draws bomb squad

Emergency crews evacuated an Eastern Illinois University building Friday, after a campus postal carrier discovered a disheveled-looking package heading for the college’s admissions office.

A disheveled looking pachage huh?
Sounds scary.

“There was no return address, it was poorly written, poorly addressed to the university, there were misspellings,” school spokeswoman Vicki Woodard said Saturday. “There was some tape over it. Just the overall appearance was rather strange.”

Appeared 'rather strange' huh?

The stuffed-and-stained envelope was strange enough that police alerted the bomb squad.

A strange looking envelope warrents the bomb squad?
How big was this evelope? What was actually in it?

Explosives investigators X-rayed the package and blocked off a nearby street before they discovered the envelope contained only an application

A college application?

What happened to the brave men and women that used to inhabit this great land of ours?
Why are people so scared? Have the 'terrorists' already won?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The people are scared because fear sells. The evening infotainment (I refuse to call it news) runs stories that are about stirring up the fear almost exclusively.

If we're all afraid and jumping at shadows, we might not notice what the government and it's corporate overlords are up to, so bring on the terror!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

If we're all afraid and jumping at shadows, we might not notice what the government and it's corporate overlords are up to, so bring on the terror!

Bingo!
That my friend is why there are elements within (and outside) the government that have absolutly no incentive to stop terrorism.

If you can realize they are trying to scare this once brave nation into submission then you must also realize that their tactics include not only 'infotainment' as you called it, but also the fomentation of true acts of terrorism.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Fear is the drug now. PUSHING IT IN EVERYTHING. To the point people don't even know what they're fearing. It's silly propoganda to distract from what needs to be seen and handled...

[edit on 7/22/2007 by acegotflows]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think it totally media related. Sure the govt planted the seeds but the media has watered the seeds daily and what was the result....huge ratings.

Fear sells, extremism sells, terror sells. And sell they do, everynight, every chance they get.

Even in my small US state, one local "news" station has gone from hard news to "sensationlistic" news. Car crashes, bombs, terror are the start of every newscast, every teaser commercial. Anything or real meat or substance is left for after the weather and before sports.

Fear sells and we are buying

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I like the title to this thread. Its so true!

The land of the paranoids.

I take precautions now i would have never done before. I make sure my cell phone is fully charged to take to work, i make sure i take enough of my meds just in case i have to spend a month sequestred at work
and on and on JUST IN CASE.

But how can you help it when you are constantly told something evil is coming? For pete's sakes, there isnt one station that doesnt have gloom and doom on its way and my favorite channels, Discovery, History, etc all have doomsday scenarios that elevate the terror. Radio is the same.

I'm not giving up the television until the time the government fully runs it-
I like to know some of the news, but not ALL the news-

Its this 24/7 news bombardment in cahoots with the government that is making us all so extremely paranoid.

AND THEN...if i dont watch the news, i have withdrawals and wonder if something is going on and i'm missing it

We are victims of the media and the government.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I don't know anyone who is afraid.

In my opinion the cases that are pointed out in this thread have nothing to do with fear and everything to do with logic and common sense.

Do we really need to ask why people might find it suspicion that a strange looking package with patterns of lighted dots in the shape a character giving the middle finger is left on a bridge or that a poorly written package with no return address, misspellings with some tape over it sent to a college administrator might be considered something dangerous or at least warrant some caution and further careful investigation?

So if you guys got a heavy package with really bad writing on it, a bunch of misspelled words and some of it taped up you would just dig on into it without a second thought?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Great thread.

Well how do I get started, well what this thread so eloquently has lined along with examples is nothing more than A Classic Case Of Media Conditioning & Mind Control 'Terrorism', Hate Crimes And Media Fabrications.

All the components of autocratic governments to remind the people why they need bigger, larger and more controlling system, all with the safe of the people in mind.

Please do not let this intimidate you always question what is going on that affects you and your everyday life.

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 25/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

So if you guys got a heavy package with really bad writing on it, a bunch of misspelled words and some of it taped up you would just dig on into it without a second thought?

I'd open it- it would be a gift from ATS.

There are stories like this everyday because there's CIA plants doing all this to divert and condition and brainwash people that there are possible terrorists out there. BE AFRAID!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Have the 'terrorists' already won?

It's sad to say, even more so to think about...

If you look at the way America's rights, liberties, and freedoms (summed up as Constitution) have been bastardized over the past 6 years... The way and means of the American life have changed so dramatically, many would agree that the terrorists (foreign and/or domestic) have won.

It's very sickening.

dgempe... I like your thinking.

I'd open it with wild abandon, as well. I'm certain it would be that "Way Above Top Secret Award"!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Who are you kidding?
Try getting on an airplane with some formula for your infant, or some toothpaste in your carry on bag.
You cant do it. Why? Because everybody is freaking terrified.
Terrified of what?
The Liquid Bomb Plot?

On 18 September, Lieutenant-Colonel (ret.) Nigel Wylde, a former senior British Army Intelligence Officer with decades of anti-terror and explosives experience, declared the plot to be 'fiction'. He said the explosives in question could not possibly have been produced on the plane

Really? Where have you been?
Tacoma postal center evacuated for suspicious substance

Powder in Hartland is false alarm

KSC Anthrax Scare Turns Out To Be False Alarm

Suspicious Package Delivered to a Panama City Business Draws Attention

Another unknown powder found in mail

It does not matter that Maine has had virtually no instances where a suspicious package turned out to be dangerous. Or that this was the fourth report of suspicious powder in the past two weeks.

Everybody scared of some powder in the mail.
Why? It has been established that the anthrax came from our own freaking labs. Why then does 'white powder' cause the evacuation of building after building?

Nobody is scared my ass.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You are confusing caution with fear. Who is afraid? Where are these people? I'm not scared. Are you scared? I don't know anyone who is afraid. If I asked everyone I know none of them will say they are afraid. None of these articles say that people were running around in a panic screaming and pulling their hair out in distress.

Airlines are being vigilant with security, and rightfully so, because they have a duty to protect passengers. Are they overly cautious? probably, but they don't know what to expect so they try to play for a wide variety of options. Sure, it is annoying to fliers but I think that most people want tight security at airports.

The people who got strange packages were also being cautious. They got a weird looking package, so they called the authorities, who contacted the bomb squad. That's why there is a bomb squad. The bomb squad came in and did their job and discovered it was not a bomb. that's a process that works. I have a security system in my house. That doesn't mean that I'm afraid someone will break in and murder me. I am just cautious.

The whole strange package scare goes back further than 911 and anthrax. No one remember the unabomber Kaczynski. Oh wait, he must have been a pre-911 government plant too.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Good discussion here. Indeed the terrorists, government, media, the whole combination, whatever, has surely changed many people's ways of life.

The government doesn't JUST wanna pump fear into all of us - the instant it thinks something could happen, they also want to cover their asses in case it DOES happen, just to say "hey, we told you so". So in the meantime, when it seems that brainwash like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan are the top headlining stories and the general public can go back to their lives peacefully, you can certainly expect a news break - "terrorist attack to happen soon - we're just not sure when, how, or where... but sometime, somehow, somewhere, it will happen. Thank you, have a good, if slightly worse, day, and now back to your regular programming..."

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_madmaster
Good discussion here. Indeed the terrorists, government, media, the whole combination, whatever, has surely changed many people's ways of life.

Some quick examples, and this may not mean much to some of you, but realize it is a slow subtle process turning brave men and women into wimpering sheep.

When I was growing up we had the 'weatherman'.
Now he has become a 'meteorologist'.
Sounds a little scarier doesnt it?

The 'weatherman' used to have a radar.
Now his radar has become 'stormtracker' and his desk has become a 'stormcenter'.
We used to have 'weather watchers' that would go out in incliment weather and watch for tornadoes.
Now we have 'storm chasers'.

We used to have forrest fires when I was growing up.
Now we have WILD fires.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Do any of you honestly know anybody who is "scared" ? Personally I do not and I'm getting tired of all this fear mongering rhetoric about how the media is making everyone afraid. I know nobody that lives in fear or who is afraid to go about there daily live's.

The only time I've seen even the slightest fear from the American people was maybe the first month or two after 911 and I wouldn't even call it fear I'd call it vigilance. I remember looking up every time a plane flew buy or looking twice when I'd see a middle-eastern person and that's about the extent of it and that paranoia wore off. The media\government is simply keeping us on our toe's to possibly prevent another attack, if you see something wrong with that then there is something wrong with you.

So if I'm walking my dog in a populated area and came across something that look's suspicious I shouldn't report it and then 15 minutes later something bad happens? If I were living in fear I wouldn't be walking my dog in a populated area to begin with because I would be to paranoid from this so called "Fear Mongering". But you see I'm not afraid I am vigilant and I would report something that could potentially cause harm, thats the whole point.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Samblak]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Some quick examples, and this may not mean much to some of you, but realize it is a slow subtle process turning brave men and women into wimpering sheep.

When I was growing up we had the 'weatherman'.
Now he has become a 'meteorologist'.
Sounds a little scarier doesnt it?

The 'weatherman' used to have a radar.
Now his radar has become 'stormtracker' and his desk has become a 'stormcenter'.
We used to have 'weather watchers' that would go out in incliment weather and watch for tornadoes.
Now we have 'storm chasers'.

We used to have forrest fires when I was growing up.
Now we have WILD fires.

I see the point you have been trying to make in this thread I just do not agree or think that it is accurate. Now, if the title of this thread was something like American: Land of the annoyed and inconvenienced then I would say yeah, dead on. If "they" are trying to scare people it just isn't working.

I also do not agree that words like meteorologist or wild fires sound scary. Who is afraid of the word meteorologist? If you have graduated kindergarten how does it sound scary? The reason why they changed it from weatherman for the most part is because back in the day weatherman were not meteorologist. They were just TV personalities that read and talked about what meteorologists wrote for them. Now a days most weatherman are meteorologists. A meteorologist is a scientist who studies the atmosphere and focuses on weather patterns. The term has been in use since the 1800's. It is not new.

Terms like wild fires are used to depict a wide variety of fires in the wild, not just forest fires. There are forest fire, vegetation fire, grass fire, brush fires, hill fires, etc. The term wild fires is sort of a catch all name. It doesn't have anything to do with trying to make you afraid.

Storm chasers pretty much named themselves. They race into violent storms to get pictures and videos of damage and tornadoes. They are not necessarily the same as weather watches who just watch the weather and compare and share data.

The only fear I see is from these types of threads were posters believe that everything and everyone is out to get them.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I agree Zerotime. Me thinks the OP is doing a little fear mongering himself! I'm not afraid and nobody I know is either.

Speak for yourself dear, not the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Cut and run,America... That's the solution the Demopukes have... Cut and Run... CUT AND RUN..... This poo would have never flown with the world war two generation.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
A SHINING example of the fear

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Cut and run,America... That's the solution the Demopukes have... Cut and Run... CUT AND RUN..... This # would have never flown with the world war two generation.

What does that mean?
Cut and run? Whats that?
Are you scared of what might happen?

I watched a little clip of some truthers confronting Grand Ol' Party member Newt Gingrich recently.
What struck me most was Newts speech.
He get up in front of a room full of people and scares them all into submission.
How you ask?
With that same tired worn out cliche of 'get them over there before they get us over here'.
Bull#.
Aint no Muslim army ever going to invade or take over America.
Utter nonsense.
THe Mighty USA, which stared down the Soviet Union, an enemy with MORE nuclear weapons then we have, an enemy with MORE tanks and planes and boats and men then we had, and an enemy that for the most part looked just like us, which makes infiltration easier.
Now America is scared of people that MAY have shoe bombs (which wouldnt have brought down a plane) so now we all take off our shoes at the airport. Americans are afraid of 'liquid' bombs (which again, wouldnt have brought down a plane) so now we cant bring baby formula on the plane.
Newts silly little speech was fear mongering, because you cant sell a war without fear.
Newts speech?
"We are today in a GREAT war (great war?) against an evil enemy. (Arent ALL enemies evil? WOuldnt it be odd to have a 'righteous' enemy?)That evil enemy if they win, would not allow a single woman in this room."

MORE nonsense later on in his speech.

"THEY are very clear about this, they intend to impose their dictatorship on us, to make US lead THEIR way of life. And theres nobody in America that has a greater interest in this than the women of America, and we should learn to say this with great clarity, if you intend to keep driving a car, having your own bank account, having a job, appearing in public without a veil, not having your face covered, then you better hope our team wins and their team loses"

BULLPOO
WHat a flipping joke of a thing to say to Americans.
How are these] dark skinned bearded men from thousands of miles away, with no navy to speak of and no airforce to mention, no WMD to be found, going to impose a dictatorship on the Mighty U S of A?
Newt is a paranoid PUSSYcat if he really thinks that is possible.
Anybody who believes that nonsense he spews is falling victim to a cathearder.

So tell me you brave Americans, are you so afraid of bearded men in far off lands imposing a dictatorship in America that you are willing to send your boys over there to drive around until the road blows up beneath them? Is that what passes for bravery these days?
No matter what you may think, pre-emptive wars arent waged out of bravery, they are waged out of fear.
YOu fear an attack from foreigners so you try to get them before they can get you.

Google Video Link

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
11bravo

It really makes you want to puke doesnt it?

I've said enough, i guess. I'm tired of this whole thing.

:shk:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join