It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different shadow angles in moon images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I know it has been discussed before, numerous times im sure but this panoramic image of the moon from APOD is a little interesting because of the multiple angles of shadows that are cast by different objects.
For example, look at the small moon rock just to the right of the antenna, the shadow is directly to the left of the rock.
Then look at the shadow that is cast by the antenna itself, it is higher up and to the left, about at about the 10 or 11 o clock position. Then you have the astronaut that took the image, his shadow is almost at the 12 o clock position.
I am not a huge fan of the "fake moon landing" conspiracy but this is kind of interesting and I am looking for serious opinions and or explanations about these shadows and what other, if any, light sources the astronauts may have used.
Could this likely be caused by the fact that the images used to construct the panoramic view were taken at different times of the day?
I know that this is one of the subjects that the fake moon landing crowd uses to make their case. In any case, it is a nice pic of moonscape, especially the crater to the right.
The image is most likely to large to embed, so ill just place the link to it here.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Yeah its hard too swallow that they could have faked the whole deal. However the last few years a lot of actual NASA footage and images as well as press releases of previously unmentioned facilities kinda adds more evidence to the case of Nasa not quite telling the complete Nasa Moon landing story. What with large zero gravity facilities and videos of outakes of certain moon missions being not quite truthfull. Theres a great vid on Google showing astrounauts faking earth distance pics through the window as well as other strange annomolies previously unreleased by Nasa.
Cool pic btw. And strange that these Nasa images look nothing like the detail the Zond images showed. Very intriguing.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I’m no expert here, but for what its worth it seems light is coming from all sorts of directions in this picture.

If you imagine a large lighting rig wrapping around behind where the photo was taken and extending all the way outside the image and to the right.

Rocks up the back of the shot have shadows extending to an almost 8 or 9 o clock position suggesting lighting source at around 2 or 3 o clock. But the antenna casts a shadow at a much different angle and from a different source.

So my thought – a long ‘wrap around’ type rig projecting light from behind the image and from the right hand side of the photo

I hope that makes sense

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
so srsen, is it your opinion that this image was not taken on the moon and it was taken on a set, perhaps somewhere in the Nevada desert?

People do ask, what reason would NASA have had to fake all or at least the first Moon landing?
Like i said, the moon landing being faked isnt something that I absolutely believe and I really have never given it a lot of thought.
However my answer to the above question would be this.
#1 NASA and the Govt couldve faked the moon landings to demoralize, thus slowing down, the Russian Space program and possibly end their ambitions of reaching the moon at all. At the same time give the United States a very much needed boost in their morale and National pride during a very low point in our Country's history, caused by the Viet Nam war and the 1960's cultural revolution.
#2 and a much less likely reason, to me anyway. Which was to fulfill the promise that the much loved President Kennedy made, that the US would send men to the moon AND bring them back home safely before the end of the 1960's.
Since Kennedy really meant a LOT to a large population of the Country fulfilling this promise wouldve made many people happy, which would again help to increase morale and help instill a sense of National pride.
This is just my opinion of course. Just a couple of reasons that at least one of the moon landings (especially the first) could have been faked.

Here is an especially interesting Moon Landing Hoax website

Here is a much smaller image, from that website and a sentence explaining why that image is interesting

Shadows do not appear to be correct on several of the Moon shots. Take the picture to the left for example. The shadow on the LEM is due East and yet the shadows on the rocks in the foreground are South East?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Hi Kr0n0s,

Some photos do indeed look weird. If you look at many of the Apollo photos, the shadows from objects to the right of the observer fall to the left, and vice-versa for the opposite side. I think this is to do with the curvature of the lens, but i suggest asking an expert in photography about this.

Here's an earthbound photo (posted elsewhere on this forum), that shows the shadows falling towards the photographers' line of sight.

www.braeunig.us...

Notice the direction of the shadows of the posts, on the left and right sides.

Also surface gradient and appear to change the direction of shadows.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
^that was with the light source coming from behind obviously

Best thing to do (if you're suspicious about there being a moon hoax) is to actually try and reproduce examples of odd shadow angles (for the purpose of being objective, if nothing)

Actually, i might try this myself this weekend

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
I know it has been discussed before, numerous times

Yes it has. A lot.

If there are multiple lightsources shouldn't there be multiple shadows cast by each object?

The panoramic nature of the image will, of course, change the shadow angle as the angle of the camera's line-of-sight to the sun changes. In a 360 degree panorama the shadows go in all directions. Google "Apollo panorama" to see examples.

Throw-in natural perspective and uneven terrain and all of the "shadow anomalies" aren't so anomalous.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This has been discussed to death on here in so many threads I have lost count. Mostly in the space forum. And the answer is always the same...

from here Shadows on the moon

When the Sun is low and shadows are long, objects at different distance do indeed appear to cast non-parallel shadows, even here on Earth. An example of that can be found at another debunking site. The scene (near the bottom of the above-linked page) shows objects with non-parallel shadows, distorted by perspective. If seen from above, all the shadows in the Apollo images would indeed look parallel. You can experience this for yourself; go outside on a clear day when the Sun is low in the sky and compare the direction of the shadows of near and far objects. You'll see that they appear to diverge. Here is a major claim of the HBs that you can disprove all by yourself! Don't take my word for it, go out and try!

new topics

top topics

join