It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Titors story definitively debunked.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Really? thats all it could do , huh? I guess wikipedia and all other sources of information on it are just "pulling out legs" aren't they?
en.wikipedia.org...

Communications adapter
Also in September 1975 IBM announced the IBM 5100 Communications Adapter. That allowed the 5100 to transmit data to and receive data from a remote system. It made the 5100 appear the same as an IBM 2741 Communications Terminal and in theory was able to communicate with IBM 2741 compatible machines in start-stop mode using the EBCD (Extended Binary Coded Decimal) notation. EBCD was similar to the more common IBM EBCDIC code, but not identical.

Research Device Coupler
In Volume 16, Number 1, Page 41 (1977) of the IBM Systems Journal the article "The IBM 5100 and the Research Device Coupler — A personal laboratory automation system" read: "A small laboratory automation system has been developed by using the IBM 5100 Portable Computer in conjunction with the Research Device Coupler. This compact system provides a dedicated, high-level-language computer and a versatile data acquisition and control interface for experiments in which data rates do not exceed 9600 Baud. Two experiments exemplify the use of the system. The Research Device Coupler described in this paper is a prototype of the IBM 7406 Device Coupler.

Emulator in microcode
The 5100 was based on IBM's innovative concept that, using an emulator written in microcode, a small and relatively cheap computer could run programs already written for much larger, and much more expensive, existing computers, without the time and expense of writing and debugging new programs.

Two such programs were included: a slightly modified version of APL.SV, IBM's APL interpreter for its System/370 mainframes, and the BASIC interpreter used on IBM's System/3 minicomputer. Consequently, the 5100's microcode was written to emulate most of the functionality of both a System/370 and a System/3.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by Tiloke]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
wiki was also my source. the 370 is about as extinct as the 360. NASA doesen't have a 370, and the 370 is not in commercial use today either. The wiki page for the 5100 states that it is 370 compatible, the wiki page for the IBM 360 claims it (the 5100) is IBM 360 compatible.

i also found this:

IBM later used the same approach for its 1983 introduction of the XT/370 model of the IBM PC, which was a standard IBM PC XT with the addition of a System/370 emulator card.

I suppose the reason I will be given that he came back in time to get the 5100 as opposed to the XT/370 is that he had a relative who he had to meet (as per his story). Thats despite the fact that the XT/370 was almost 10 thousand USD cheaper and much easier to obtain.
even so:

The APL microcode emulates a subset of the System/360 instruction set, while the BASIC microcode emulates the System/3.2

Source

Apparently, APL was a difficult task for IBM to accomplish with an interpreter in the 5100, so instead they wrote an emulation program so that the S/360 mainframe version of APL could be run instead -- The 5100 is like a desktop IBM S/360 mainframe computer which only runs APL.

Source

[edit on 17-7-2007 by jprophet420]

[edit on 17-7-2007 by jprophet420]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Two such programs were included: a slightly modified version of APL.SV, IBM's APL interpreter for its System/370 mainframes, and the BASIC interpreter used on IBM's System/3 minicomputer. Consequently, the 5100's microcode was written to emulate most of the functionality of both a System/370 and a System/3.

He mentions in his post that the information he is giving is not publicly known in 2001. Your quote directly states that the programs were included with the machine. This is a blatant contradiction.

Portable computer combines microprocessor technology with large-computer performance. Computer Design, Nov. 1975, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 130-1. Abstract: Intended for standalone computing chores in scientific, engineering, or business facilities, the model 5100 Portable Computer enables on-site analysis of data or solution of quantitative problems without the need to time-share larger computers. Slightly larger than an IBM typewriter and weighing about 50 lb, the desk top unit, announced by International Business Machine Corp.'s General Systems Div., has the computing capacity of a small System/360 but is based on a microprocessor.

Seems they knew as early as 1975 according to your source and mine.

Even if it could debug an IBM 370...

The IBM System/370 (often: S/370) was a model range of IBM mainframes announced on June 30, 1970 as the successors to the System/360 family...

continued...

The original System/370 line underwent several architectural improvements during its roughly 20-year lifetime.

Its NOT part of our infrastructure now.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This post gives me a chance to adress something which is a bit frustrating to me:

Originally posted by antar
Yep, I agree, and furthermore if you are personnally looking for some loop hole in Titor's story you will find many, but that does not negate the multitudes of other confirmed hits.

What? Titor had, supposedly, traveled back through time. How then, should we allow for any misses? If I were to say "I saw that movie last week" and then describe events which never took place in the movie...obviously I am making things up. I should not be trusted even if I manage a 'hit'. After all, movies are as predictible as human behavior and one could manage a startling number of 'hits' simply by working off assumption.

With the fortune of hindsight he should have racked up zero misses.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

System/370 key dates*

Model Announced First Shipped Withdrawn

115 March 13, 1973 March 1974 March 9, 1981
115-2 November 10, 1975 April 1976 March 9, 1981
125 October 4, 1972 April 1973 March 9, 1981
125-2 November 10, 1975 February 1976 March 9, 1981
135 March 8, 1971 April 1972 October 16, 1979
135-3 June 30, 1976 February 1977 October 16, 1979
138 June 30, 1976 November 1976 November 1, 1983
145 September 23, 1970 June 1971 November 10, 1971
145-3 June 30, 1976 May 1977 October 16, 1979
148 June 30, 1976 January 1977 November 1, 1983
155 June 30, 1970 January 1971 December 23, 1977
158 August 2, 1972 April 1973 September 15, 1980
158-3 October 26, 1976 September 1976 September 15, 1980
165 June 30, 1970 April 1971 December 23, 1977
168 August 2, 1972 May 1973 September 15, 1980
168-3 February 18, 1976 June 1976 September 15, 1980
195 June 30, 1970 August 1973 February 9, 1977

* Sources: A. Pedegs, "System/360 And Beyond," IBM Journal Of Research And Development, Vol. 25, No. 5, September 1981, Table 2, p. 387; various data on file in IBM Corporate Archives

Source

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

jprophet420
How is amachine that is not part of the infrastucture, not compatible with the infrastructure in 2007, going to be part of the infrastructure in 2036?

Maybe if you read the story, you would know it's not even part of the infrastucture in Titor's future. I also assume you know how hard it is to find "antiquated" stuff now days, some of those old peripherals/programs are still very usefull if you can find them.

Titor:
On my world line, it is known that the 5100 series is capable of reading all the IBM code written before the widespread use of APL and Basic. Unfortunately, there are none left that anyone can find on my world line.

John Titor:
I don't believe I ever said I came back looking for a UNIX bug fix. I came back for a computer system.

jprophet420
I suppose the reason I will be given that he came back in time to get the 5100 as opposed to the XT/370 is that he had a relative who he had to meet (as per his story).

Right lol, Titor is related to a key figure in the development of the IBM 5100.

If you was into Timetravel, maybe gathering "antiquated" stuff is probably important...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Actually, none of this proves anything as it will take science to create time traveling - with a machine.

www.nature.com...

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

Title: Extended representations of paths and world lines Authors: Brian H. Dunford-Shore Comments: 15 pages, RevTeX, v2 submitted arxiv.org...

Title: Talking About Singularities Authors: Spiros Cotsakis Comments: 29 pages, latex, rapporteur contribution to the Parallel Session on Cosmological Singularities, MG11, Berlin 2006 arxiv.org...

Title: Bel-Robinson energy and the nature of singularities in isotropic cosmologies Authors: Ifigeneia Klaoudatou, Spiros Cotsakis Comments: 6 pages, to appear in the Proceedings of the Greek Relativity Meeting NEB12, June 29-July 2, 2006, Nauplia, Greece arxiv.org...

Title: Singularities of varying light speed cosmologies Authors: John Miritzis, Spiros Cotsakis Comments: 7 pages, 2 figures, uses iop style files, to appear in the Proceedings of the Greek Relativity Meeting NEB12, June 29-July 2, 2006, Nauplia, Greece arxiv.org...

Title: Asymptotics of flat, radiation universes in quadratic gravity Authors: Spiros Cotsakis, Antonios Tsokaros Comments: 9 pages, latex arxiv.org...

Title: Braneworld cosmological singularities Authors: Ignatios Antoniadis, Spiros Cotsakis, Ifigeneia Klaoudatou Comments: 3 pages, contribution to appear in the Proceedings of the MG11 Meeting, Berlin, July 2006 arxiv.org...

The rest is an opinion!
And that is not even close to all of the science that is done because people get paid to come up with why you are here and why Titor is being discussed.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles

jprophet420
How is amachine that is not part of the infrastucture, not compatible with the infrastructure in 2007, going to be part of the infrastructure in 2036?

Maybe if you read the story, you would know it's not even part of the infrastucture in Titor's future. I also assume you know how hard it is to find "antiquated" stuff now days, some of those old peripherals/programs are still very usefull if you can find them.

Titor:
On my world line, it is known that the 5100 series is capable of reading all the IBM code written before the widespread use of APL and Basic. Unfortunately, there are none left that anyone can find on my world line.

John Titor:
I don't believe I ever said I came back looking for a UNIX bug fix. I came back for a computer system.

jprophet420
I suppose the reason I will be given that he came back in time to get the 5100 as opposed to the XT/370 is that he had a relative who he had to meet (as per his story).

Right lol, Titor is related to a key figure in the development of the IBM 5100.

If you was into Timetravel, maybe gathering "antiquated" stuff is probably important...

He directly claims that he is looking for the 5100 to debug machines that ARE part of the infrastructure in 2036.

The machine(s) that the 5100 is capable of emulating is the IBM 360 series and possibly the 370 series.

Both of those series are NOT part of our infrastructure now.

That is the reference to 'a machine' in my post. Not the 5100, The s/360 and possibly the s/370

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420

He directly claims that he is looking for the 5100 to debug machines that ARE part of the infrastructure in 2036.

The machine(s) that the 5100 is capable of emulating is the IBM 360 series and possibly the 370 series.

Both of those series are NOT part of our infrastructure now.

That is the reference to 'a machine' in my post. Not the 5100, The s/360 and possibly the s/370

So, can you point to where he said he needed it to emulate those systems? I have to ask because it seems like you keep changing the reasons you think he is a fraud when someone points out a hole in your theory.

Why do you keep ignoring they key points in everyones posts?
Why do we have to keep posting the same stuff just to have you ignore it?

Originally posted by John Titor:

I was "sent" to get an IBM computer system called the 5100. It was one the first portable computers made and it has the ability to read (and translate, as posted by hohn in another post.)the older IBM programming languages in addition to APL and Basic. We need they system to "debug" various legacy computer programs in 2036. UNIX has a problem in 2038.

I know of someone else who thinks a good way to argue your point includes ignoring key points made by the other side, making it seem like people said things they did not and continually change the subject being argued.....He has already been mentioned in this thread.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm not ignoring anything. I looked up the specifications for the product and verified what it is capable of. I posted links. You have to be able to emulate before you can debug, and the product specs state this, as you posted yourself from wikipedia.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
[sarcasm]Please forgive me.

It's obvious to anyone reading this thread that you don't ignore anything.

I was stupid for questioning you vast computer knowledge that consists of a recently acquired Pentium 3 and looking into Linux in your spare time.[/sarcasm]

And with that, I'm done with this thread. It is clear you have made up your mind and will not accept any other conclusion, no matter the evidence. I will not waste my time rebutting someone who not only ignores other posters, but the motto of this site too.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The John Titor thread is on the left side of the main page under "content archive menu".

I love the John Titor story. But there are several things that are impossible for me to wrap my head around. Here are a few of them.

John stated that his world-line is 2% different than our world-line. Doesn't that mean that our 5100's code is 2% different than the 5100 he needs?

He also states that he can never go back to his original world-line. So what is the point of going back in time to retrieve something that you can never even bring back?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
John titor was wrong. The civil war may and probably will come, but it has not come and probably won't UNTIL 2015. I suspect he had a good thing going, then mabey he read up on looming terrorist attack in 01 and ran before he was abused for not saying anything about 9/11. He's an old story that was wrong. The world will go to hell and back, just not the way he said it would.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Yep, I agree, and furthermore if you are personnally looking for some loop hole in Titor's story you will find many, but that does not negate the multitudes of other confirmed hits. I am one of those that believe in time travel. His story comes closer to that than any other I have read. I have changed my life and the way I think in part because of some of the things I picked up on from John's story. Call me a quack, but it will not change my views.

I agree! You can call me a QUACK to!

No more F@#$ING WARZ!!

Peace NOW!!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
[sarcasm]Please forgive me.

It's obvious to anyone reading this thread that you don't ignore anything.

I was stupid for questioning you vast computer knowledge that consists of a recently acquired Pentium 3 and looking into Linux in your spare time.[/sarcasm]

And with that, I'm done with this thread. It is clear you have made up your mind and will not accept any other conclusion, no matter the evidence. I will not waste my time rebutting someone who not only ignores other posters, but the motto of this site too.

i only posted from wiki, titors story, and ibm's web page after my first post. if i missed something its fine, i can go back and review the information and verify that i missed it. However, if titor missed anything, the story is forever debunked. the information provided in titors story does not jive with with wiki and ibm, sorry.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm going to play devil's advocate. Obviously, the development of the 64 bit was spurred on by Titor's mentioning of the Unix bug. He caused our timeline to diverge from his.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It cracks me up that you guys are arguing over a guy that has been proven to be a hoax...years ago. This is insane. What's next? An argument over how Santa Claus gets into homes that have no chimneys? It's absurd.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Titor:

Both myself and my advasary have concluded through research that this statement is false, it can only read 360 and or 370 code.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join