It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Titors story definitively debunked.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I am currently studying the linux opereating system on my own time. I have obtained a computer that is an older p3 1gz dell model and a library card. im using these to get up and running (have been running for a while, setting custom configurations etc now.) I was in another thread and it mentioned the atomic clock and i mentioned even my pc wassynced to it. I had recently synchronized it manually and was looking for software to do the job for me daily. When I was earching i cam across this:

The Linux kernel always stores and calculates time as the number of seconds since midnight of the 1st of January 1970 UTC regardless of whether your hardware clock is stored as UTC or not. Conversions to your local time are done at run-time. One neat thing about this is that if someone is using your computer from a different timezone, they can set the TZ environment variable and all dates and times will appear correct for their timezone. If the number of seconds since the 1st of January 1970 UTC is stored as an signed 32-bit integer (as it is on your Linux/Intel system), your clock will stop working sometime on the year 2038. Linux has no inherent Y2K problem, but it does have a year 2038 problem. Hopefully we'll all be running Linux on 64-bit systems by then. 64-bit integers will keep our clocks running quite well until aproximately the year 292271-million.

I've known about the 2038 bug in *nix systems since the John Titor story. The whole basis of his trip to our time is to get a part that will help fix the 2038 linux bug. His story was pre 64bit chips and operating systems. There are no 32 bit (pc) cpu's in production now and havent been for a while now. Everything is 64 bit, and what isnt soon will be. By the time 2038 rolls around, there will be no 32 bit chips and there will be no 32 bit operating systems. The y2k38 bug is fixed, therefore the whole basis fo the story is false.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Sorry, your wrong. While Titor may have mentioned the timing bug, he specifically said that he was sent back to pick up the 5100 because of its ability to translate computer languages into other computer languages.

Originally posted by John Titor

The first "leg" of my trip was from 2036 to 1975. After two VGL checks, the divergence was estimated at about 2.5% (from my 2036). I was "sent" to get an IBM computer system called the 5100. It was one the first portable computers made and it has the ability to read the older IBM programming languages in addition to APL and Basic. We need they system to "debug" various legacy computer programs in 2036. UNIX has a problem in 2038.

He says UNIX has a problem in 2038. In no way does he ever even suggest that they needed the 5100 to fix UNIX. In fact , the way he says it suggests they need it to help repair other computer systems, perhaps ones that would take the place of the UNIX systems that are going to have a problem.

Originally posted by jprophet420
His story was pre 64bit chips and operating systems. There are no 32 bit (pc) cpu's in production now and havent been for a while now. Everything is 64 bit, and what isnt soon will be. By the time 2038 rolls around, there will be no 32 bit chips and there will be no 32 bit operating systems. The y2k38 bug is fixed, therefore the whole basis fo the story is false.

Your right there, the problem has been fixed in newer UNIX systems. The question we need to ask is "Would the government always use the most up to date tech, especially after a world-wide nuclear war?"

The answer is a resounding NO. Anyone working even close to a government job will tell you that the computers and tech that most offices use is almost hopelessly out of date.
Even NASA has employees whose sole job is to scour the internet looking for replacement parts for their computers left over from the 70's.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by Tiloke]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yep, I agree, and furthermore if you are personnally looking for some loop hole in Titor's story you will find many, but that does not negate the multitudes of other confirmed hits. I am one of those that believe in time travel. His story comes closer to that than any other I have read. I have changed my life and the way I think in part because of some of the things I picked up on from John's story. Call me a quack, but it will not change my views.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I'm not exactly sure what the technical issue is but I believe some sort of UNIX system registry stops in 2038...
As you are probably aware, UNIX will have a timeout error in 2038 and many of the mainframe systems that ran a large part of the infrastructure were based on very old IBM computer code. The 5100 has the ability to easily translate between the old IBM code, APL, BASIC and (with a few tweaks in 1975) UNIX. This may seem insignificant but the fact that the 5100 is portable means I can easily take it back to 2036. I do expect they will create some sort of emulation system to use in multiple locations.

I do believe that "your" UNIX will also have a problem in 2038. I don't think that's a secret but maybe someone should put a 5100 aside for thirty years or so.

nope, he definatey said the machine was for debuging the 2038 bug.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by jprophet420]

[edit on 16-7-2007 by jprophet420]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
No, he did not.

You seeing things that you want to see and not whats there.

No where in any of his posts does he say they are going to repair UNIX, NOWHERE.

He says they will have a problem and they need the 5100 to help move the UNIX share of the workload to other systems.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

You said you are confused by the 5100 story. I will explain further. In 2036, it was discovered (or at least known after testing) that the 5100 computer was capable of reading and changing all of the legacy code written by IBM before the release of that system and still be able to create new code in APL and basic.

That is the reason we need it in 2036.

What legacy code might he be refering to if not the 2038 bug?

He states that the Nuclear strike will be in 2015. If you understand moores law, you realize 32 bit chips will be at least 2 generations old by then. This is assuming that all microchip evolution and manufacturing stops the day the bombs drop.

This would be the equivilant of 8 bit computers being used today.

Legacy means the software and hardware are antiquated . Right now windows 98 and prior is 'legacy'. 32 bit processors and prior are already legacy, and software code can remove the y2k38 bug as of current. (in a 32 bit procesor)

technology does not de-evolve. a nuclear war would certainly stop or seriously retard it, agreed. but as of 2007 we are past the problem that I directly quotet from John Titor saying he is here to fix.

I found a picture of the mainframe this 5100 can 'debug'...

for his story to be true, he would have to be debuging that in 2038.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by jprophet420]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420

What legacy code might he be refering to if not the 2038 bug?

The term "legacy code" means any program that is out of date and no longer supported, so he could literally be referring to any type of code. Let me say this again for the THIRD time. Titor NEVER EVER said they needed it to repair the 2038 bug. The way he talks about it suggests that they need it to trasfer the responsibilities of a unix system to another one because of the bug. HE IS NOT TRYING TO REPAIR UNIX HE IS TRYING TO KEEP HIS IINFASTRUCTURE GOING WHEN 32BIT UNIX STOPS. Why do you keep insisting he meant something other than what he said? Because thats the only way to prove your "theory"?
en.wikipedia.org...

He states that the Nuclear strike will be in 2015. If you understand moores law, you realize 32 bit chips will be at least 2 generations old by then. This is assuming that all microchip evolution and manufacturing stops the day the bombs drop.

This would be the equivilant of 8 bit computers being used today.

Again, ignore the things you don't want to see......

Nasa uses technology today that is less advanced than the first Nintendo (8 BIT). why would you expect things to be different after a nuclear war has made things harder to come by?Its not just NASA either.

A demand of extremely high availability is commonly the case in computer reservation systems, air traffic control, energy distribution (power grids), nuclear power plants, military defense installations, and other systems critical to safety, security, traffic throughput, and/or economic profits. For example see the TOPS database system.

You need to read the following link before you talk about the impossibility of people using "old" tech.
en.wikipedia.org...

Legacy means the software and hardware are antiquated . Right now windows 98 and prior is 'legacy'. 32 bit processors and prior are already legacy, and software code can remove the y2k38 bug as of current. (in a 32 bit procesor)

So here you tell us that Legacy code is ANY antiquated software, but above, you says he can only be talking about UNIX.......
According to this link the only way to repair them is to switch to a 64bit
system.
www.gsp.com...

Do you think he can just head on down to BestBuy and get one in his time?
Also, the examples you give are not all examples of "legacy code" as there are still parts and support available for some of them.

technology does not de-evolve. a nuclear war would certainly stop or seriously retard it, agreed. but as of 2007 we are past the problem that I directly quotet from John Titor saying he is here to fix.

Wrong again. Newer tech is more susceptible to the effects of EMP. Have you heard of EMP? In a world-wide nuclear war, many many many of the computers and mainframes would be fried. In fact, most of the stuff that survives would be older more durable vacuum tube tech, effectively "de-evolving" computers.

I found a picture of the mainframe this 5100 can 'debug'...

for his story to be true, he would have to be debuging that in 2038.

No, you found A picture of on of the many mainframes it can debug, not THE one. Again you seem to suffer from selective memory. Titor said, and it has been verified, that the 5100 could debug and translate between many many different languages.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by Tiloke]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I personally think that if you are found with one piece of hoax evidence then you are no longer credible. It was shown that John Titor took a picture of his TV screen claiming that what the picture was, was human-alien hybrids (or something to that fashion). So if he had to fake that, then why would anything else be real?!?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sorry JProphet but Titor is not debunked by your topic here. He has WAY too many hits at this point for anyone to consider him a fraud.

At worst, he was a VERY good predictor of things to come.
At Best, he was time travelor from the year 2036.

His words should not be taken lightly. Read Them Again.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I personally think that if you are found with one piece of hoax evidence then you are no longer credible. It was shown that John Titor took a picture of his TV screen claiming that what the picture was, was human-alien hybrids (or something to that fashion). So if he had to fake that, then why would anything else be real?!?

wow you are really confused. Titor never mentioned anything of the sort.

You are confusing Titor with Billy Meier perhaps?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think you are confusing that with someone else. Titor never said a word on aliens. If I remember correctly, he was asked about aliens and stated that he knew no more about them than we do.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
NetoBrev is correct.

This is the only thing Titor ever said about aliens and UFO's.

Orginnaly posted by John Titor
No new information there (on UFOs and aliens). I find that an interesting subject myself. Personally, I think "UFOs" might be time travelers with very sophisticated distortion units. But that might be a bit wacky.

Hikix, I think you are confusing Titor with Billy Meier.

Meiers "alien" photos were indeed proven to be taken off a TV screen. There are many many many other parts of his story that don't stand up to intelligent peoples analysis also.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wonder if his mom and dad, from now who saw him be born, know he is lieing to everyone. Have him tell you who the president will be in 2015, when the bomb drops and in 8 years if he is ight it will add credence to his story, although I am like the others. He is a prankster playing with the gullible...

EDIT - Better yet and closer, presumeably, when did Elizabeth die and did Charles abdicate and give the thrown to William. These should be very easy questions for someone from the future, and will come to pass prior to 2015 probably. So there you have it, my question if he is accurately a "Time Traveler" what day does Queen Liz die???

EDIT 2 - My friend just said who wins the World series this year, much closer to know if he is a liar or not, since Liz could maybe be alive in 2015.

[edit on 7/17/2007 by theindependentjournal]

[edit on 7/17/2007 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
I wonder if his mom and dad, from now who saw him be born, know he is lieing to everyone. Have him tell you who the president will be in 2015, when the bomb drops and in 8 years if he is ight it will add credence to his story, although I am like the others. He is a prankster playing with the gullible...

Do you know who we are talking about? Have you read his posts or the John Titor story? If you had than all your questions would be answered, and you would know that he has already left for his own time. Seriously, how can you call someone a fraud when you haven't even read his posts or know anything about him?

There used to be a really good part of this site that had all of his posts listed for us but I can't find it now.

-------------------------EDIT---------------------------

I found it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sorry you are right, i am confusing titor with billy meeir. I gotta look more into this titor fella, i know little about him but from what ive heard hes a hack.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
Have you read his posts or the John Titor story?

Nope I haven't I can't find his threads, only threads about his story, which of course is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I see, your going by what other faceless people on the internet are telling you without bothering to actually check the facts or even glance at what they are talking about.

Ive got some great land to sell you in Wyoming. 90 acres , cheap. You don't need to look at it, inspect it or even talk to the neighbors. Just buy it. I gave you all the information you need when I say its good land right?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'd like someone to show me one shred of proof that John Titor is in fact a time traveller. I haven't seen any of his so called predictions come true.

Isn't it convenient for him when he sais that his timeline is 2% off of ours already, and that because of that, things he has said may, or not, happen.

Heck, the local fortune teller on the corner has a record that good!

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The term "legacy code" means any program that is out of date and no longer supported, so he could literally be referring to any type of code. Let me say this again for the THIRD time. Titor NEVER EVER said they needed it to repair the 2038 bug. The way he talks about it suggests that they need it to trasfer the responsibilities of a unix system to another one because of the bug. HE IS NOT TRYING TO REPAIR UNIX HE IS TRYING TO KEEP HIS IINFASTRUCTURE GOING WHEN 32BIT UNIX STOPS. Why do you keep insisting he meant something other than what he said? Because thats the only way to prove your "theory"?

the machine he came back to pick up was only capable of debugging the computer I
showed in the picture, the IBM 360. that computer is no longer in use today, so it cant be in use in the future.

You are correct, he neversaid he came to fix the 2038 code. He implied it and then 5 days later he claimed he didnt directly say thats what he was here for. However, he did say directly that he obtained the machine to repair legacy code, and the only machine the 5100 can debug is extinct today, so must be extinct in the future. How is amachine that is not part of the infrastucture, not compatible with the infrastructure in 2007, going to be part of the infrastructure in 2036?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006
Sorry JProphet but Titor is not debunked by your topic here. He has WAY too many hits at this point for anyone to consider him a fraud.

At worst, he was a VERY good predictor of things to come.
At Best, he was time travelor from the year 2036.

His words should not be taken lightly. Read Them Again.

i did. and iresearched and i found out he said he came back specifically to obtain a computer to debug future computers. however the computers he claims to be fixing are not in use anymore. It has to be the ibm 360. Thats the Machine the 5100 could debug.

The IBM 360 IS NOT in use by NASA or commercially right now in 2007. Therefore the reason he gave for coming back in time is invalid.

Few machines remain. Despite being sold in very large numbers for a mainframe system of its era, only a few System/360 computers are known to exist today in working condition. Most machines were scrapped when they could no longer profitably be leased, partly for the gold and other precious metal content of their circuits, but mainly to keep these machines from competing with IBMs newer computers, such as the System/370. As with all classic mainframe systems, complete System/360 computers were prohibitively large to be held in storage, and too expensive to maintain. The Smithsonian Institution owns a System/360 Model 65, although it is no longer on public display. The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA has a non-operable System/360 Model 30 on display. The University of Western Australia has a complete System/360 in storage at its Shenton Park warehouse

The IBM 5100 portable computer, introduced in 1975, offered an option to run the System/360's APL\SV programming language through a hardware emulator. IBM used this approach in order to avoid the costs and delay in creating a version of APL specific to the 5100.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join