It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 13 UK Tesco stores shut in safety alert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

At least 13 UK Tesco stores shut in safety alert

news.bbc.co.uk

At least 13 Tesco stores across the country have been closed by police as "a precaution" after a safety alert.

Police have not yet revealed why the supermarkets were shut down but said no-one had been hurt.

Hertfordshire Constabulary, which is leading the operation, said they were investigating a series of incidents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Seen this on BBC and Sky News. During the breaking news segment I saw on the BBC the news reader read an account of one stores closure earlier in the day and quoted the manager as having said it was due to a bomb threat. Will be interesting to find out if that is indeed what has happened at all these stores and if more stores beyond those reported have been closed. Strange tactic to call in bomb threats (if that was the case across the board) in supermarkets across the country, but I can see that if any actually occured that panic would be rife that maybe no store is safe to use.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I was planning to pop down my local Tesco metro in a bit, wonder if that one has been affected, or if they even know about it.

Its on BBC again now, an employee is on the phone at the mo. He said there is 100 yard cordon round his store, camera showed a full car park, and camera angle was from next to the store, so that can't be right.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
bomb threat apparently.

hmm...animal rights or sum far left group rallying against capitalism?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This raises a good point, if the terrorists want to simply shut down our economy, all they would have to do is keep calling in bomb threats.

The authorities have to take each one seriously.

Is there anything that could be done about something like that happening?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
14 stores now

hmmm, its weird

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I got a couple of Tesco Hypermarkets near me and another 3 Tesco Metros. Infact i just bought some Milk and fags from Metro near me on way home. Ill have a drive down hypermarket and see what the score is i think

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Was just about to pop down the the local tesco store too, Oh wells will go to asda's instead.... Some animal groups maybe or someone trying to stop tesco from making all them profits???

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
someone trying to stop tesco from making all them profits???

Sainsbury's ?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Just got back from my local Tesco metro - they didn't know anything about all this, told them its either 11 or 13 big stores and the last I herd the banner at the bottom of the screen said "no links to extreamism" and that its been going on since bout 1pm.

so its 14 now? They just said there reopening now them now, and showed a sign out side one saying it was closed due to a technical falt, but odd to have the same fault in 14 stores, police say they are chasing up the threats which had specific locations.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
@ Infinite, maybe is was Asda employees disgrunted, by tesco sending someone around their stores, comparing prices

Knows tescos and their rivals do this sort of thing all the time. (oh feels a conspiacy). Just be thankfull nothign was found eh.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
@ Infinite, maybe is was Asda employees disgrunted, by tesco sending someone around their stores, comparing prices

Knows tescos and their rivals do this sort of thing all the time. (oh feels a conspiacy). Just be thankfull nothign was found eh.

well. as they say

Every little helps

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Asala is on chat, aparrently both her landline and cellphone have been blacked out... can anyone else in the London area confirm this? I'm in Canada, so I cant exactly test Londons cell network.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well I've just spoken to my aunt in S. London without any problems so I fear Asala may need to check she has paid the bills.

Just a thought, Greenpeace have been protesting about the sale of incandescent light bulbs in branches of Woolworths today - is this the provisional wing at work?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I live 4 mins away from the herts one, And im not sure whats going on but i cant use my landline or my mobile! I can recived incoming but no outgoing,

Im waiting on Dohboy to contact me, the fact that he has not yet may mean his is out also??

As he lives 10 mins from me,

lol and Yup Bill is fully paid,

[edit on 14-7-2007 by asala]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I live 4 mins away from the herts one, And im not sure whats going on but i cant use my landline or my mobile! I can recived incoming but no outgoing,

If your landline won't let you call, then how is it that your internet is working? Do you have cable or another method that doesn't use the phone line?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I am keeping track on both the BBC news Website and Sky News Website, if anything is up, ATS Might be the ones to report it first again. Any updates on both sites will post in due course. (like they done with the Glasgow attacks).

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I have wirelerss which is my sisters next door, But like i said incoming is fine, i just cant call out on my landline or mobile, Very odd,

Im just hopeing in coincidene and that theres a fault here,

ill know soon if soh calls

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Glad to hear you're still solvent Asala.

I think this does tie in well to another thread a few days ago where the ease of causing disruption through very simple means was kicked around. If, of course, it does prove to be a genuine threat.

I'm off to football tomorrow - sports grounds are a terrifyingly easy target.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hmm ok my lil sis just called me from next door and hers are working fine,

So it must be oddly my phones, how odd though for both 2 go down???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join