It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British blamed for Basra badgers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

British blamed for Basra badgers

news.bbc.co.uk

British forces have denied rumours that they released a plague of ferocious badgers into the Iraqi city of Basra.

Word spread among the populace that UK troops had introduced strange man-eating, bear-like beasts into the area to sow panic.

But several of the creatures, caught and killed by local farmers, have been identified by experts as honey badgers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

[edit on 12-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I didn't know Iraq had a indigenous Badger population, but if they didn't before they do now. The British base at Basra Airport was obviously the release point. I don't think it is a case of an officers pet escaping, since there are evidently quite a few on the loose.

Question 1-Does anyone know if the British military are the only ones who have unimpeded access to the airport?

Question 2-Could this be a covert attempt at biological warfare(fleas and other parasites)?

Question 3-An experiment to determine efficiency of Badgers in the disposal of organic waste?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Badgers? ....Badgers? We don't need no stinkin Badgers!!!!

Sorry, I coudn't resist

Ths whole thing sounds quite odd to me and I'd like to see more confirmation that the event even took place at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well...

I don't know why the rumor, according to what I can find they do inhabit southern portions of Iraq (Basra is in the south)...

They are distributed throughout most of Africa and western and south Asian areas of Baluchistan (eastern Iran), southern Iraq

en.wikipedia.org...

Also from one blogger..

Honey badgers are more prevalent in Iran--their presence in Iraq dwindled after the destruction of the salt marsh habitat in the south.

www.iraqslogger.com...

They dwindled, perhaps they are making a comeback (it does happen without any outside influnce)...

Also according to this...

The animal is known locally as the Garta or ‘the muncher,’ and mothers in Basrah used to tell scary stories about the Garta to their children so they would not wander out alone at night.

www.iraqslogger.com...

It isn't unknown to the area, aounds to me like the "rumor" is more like propaganda...

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hilarious, just as hilarious regarding Iraninan Police, finding and detaining, squirrels, so called having secret listening devices attached to their bodies, absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
i have found a video regarding this

video of the badgers

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6

I didn't know Iraq had a indigenous Badger population, but if they didn't before they do now. The British base at Basra Airport was obviously the release point.

Obvioulsy, it's the UK's fault that the natural range of the badger is growing. Curse those Westerners for not draining out the Salt Marshes like Saddam did. No one talks about Iraq basically draining a Marsh comparable in size to the Everglades for political purposes do they?

A man Eating Badger would be pretty scary though. Kinda like the Rodents of Unusual size in the Princess Bride.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the link to the video I think it was hilarious.

My gosh now we most be very afraid we may have an attack in our soil with the man eater badgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I guess they thought about it since the England soccer team badgers look very similar... What a coincidence.

[edit on 15/7/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
I guess they thought about it since the England soccer team badgers look very similar... What a coincidence.

[edit on 15/7/07 by -0mega-]

Huh?

England Football (not Soccer....
) team badgers?

What you on about chap?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
They are quite persitant creatures and have been used by the british historically

References to prior British use
Reminds me of how military is always looking too harness natural organisms..I recall during the great plague infected bodies were catapulted over castle walls. the Brits even did an assasination with a botulism hand grenade..Hannibal loved his elephants, the rresourcefulness never ceases to amaze me.

there are several species stink badger , honey, ferret (american)
and this link will tell you alllll about them

Thanx Ugi for the post too

The badger page

SyS

top topics

join