It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tintin book is crude, racist and must be banned, says watchdog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Tintin book is crude, racist and must be banned, says watchdog

entertainment.timesonline.co.uk

A cartoon adventure featuring Tintin, the heroic Belgian journalist, should not be sold in Britain, the Commission for Racial Equality said yesterday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What next are they going to ban,they want to ban this book cause they say it contains racial slurs, well so do a lot of hollywood movies(eg Blazing Saddles) and music,theres a football team where i live they was called clifton all whites not any more they said it was racist so now their called just clifton fc they had that name for over 60 years but it was for the colour of their kit. My son came home from nursery with the poem he had to learn it wasnt called baa baa black sheep anymore its called baa baa white sheep again they say its racist, to me these things werent racist but the tintin book did contain racist content, i would just like some views on what can be classed as racist and what cant cause some things seem petty and the major things that contain racism seem to slip this process

entertainment.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
yeehaw, lets all get together and have a good old book burnin...

What ever happened to freedom of speech? I used to read many children's books when I was a child (I hope you did too). I never recalled Tin Tin having an ounce of objectionable material in it.

Bah, who needs racism in books anyways, when your local church is full of it.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
who needs racism in books anyways, when your local church is full of it.

Religions aren't races. If someone is anti-_____ (fill in religion of choice) then they are not racist. They are anti-that-religion.

The book is old fashioned and won't have much purchase power - except perhaps by collectors of comics and old books. People are better educated now than they were 80 years ago.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yeah the price of that book will rocket now if its being banned

so looks like some people will benefit from it

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I loved the Tintin books as a kid. Every week I'd go to the library, pick some books and include a Tintin and an Asterix while I was there. Those were the days!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I read those as a child and later I used to, for french class, translate them from french to english. I saw nothing wrong with them then nor do I see anything wrong with them now. It was a sign of the times and people who are saying that those books should be banned, need to be banned themselves for creating this mess in the first place. It is like those who would ban the classics, such as Catcher in the Rye, and any of Mark Twains writings, cause they are filled with racist remarks. Or how about banning Charles Dickens, especially where it goes into showing how mean and cruel the world was to those who were born out of wedlock, or did not have a job? My question is this, if you are trying not to offend anyone, how do you accomplish it? What may seem offensive to some, could very well be offensive to another.

top topics

join