It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harriet Miers May be in Contempt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Source

After the Senate Judiciary Committee heard from former top Karl Rove aide Sara Taylor, the House Judiciary Committee announced that the White House has asked former Counsel Harriet Miers to not even appear before a similar hearing in the firing of 8 US Attorneys on Thursday.

The refusal to appear could open Miers to criminal contempt charges when the panel convenes tomorrow, according to a letter sent to her attorney.
"I am extremely disappointed in the White House's direction to Ms. Miers that she not even show up to assert the privilege before the Committee," Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), the committee's chairman, said in a statement

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting really tired of hearing about the criminal activity of this administration. I'm tired of the 'excuse' of executive privilege.

I hope to get to the bottom of this mess soon.

NewsMax

Conyers said of Miers, Bush's former White House lawyer, "As a former public official and officer of the court, Ms. Miers should be especially aware of the need to respect legal process, and we expect her to appear before the committee tomorrow as scheduled."

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You know what I am getting sick of? Democrat witch hunts! Someone please show me what crime Bush committed by firing attorneys that serve at his pleasure.

FYI Diane Fienstein wrote a letter to the Attorney General concerned about the performance of one of the soon to be fired attorneys.

www.signonsandiego.com...

In June 2006, California Sen. Dianne Feinstein wrote to U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to express concerns about Lam's performance in office, “It has come to my attention that despite high apprehension rates by Border Patrol agents along California's border with Mexico, prosecutions by the U.S. Attorney's Office Southern District of California appear to lag behind...

If Democrat Senator Fienstein was concerned about an US Attorneys performance, why can't the President do something about it?

ALSO...

Where was the uproar when Clinton fired 96 U.S. Attorneys in 1993?

Was it OK for Clinton because he was a Democrat? No! It was OK then just as it is OK now. U.S. Attorneys served at the will of the President. CASE CLOSED.

Same thing with the Libby clemency. Clinton pardoned 241 people, Bush has pardoned 6. If Congress wants to ammend the Constitution to change this, then do it. But until then SHUT UP! It is a right expressly granted to the President.

[edit on 11-7-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Uh... I'm not a democrat.

And this thread isn't about attorney's being fired.
It isn't about Diane Fienstein.
It's not about Libby.
And it's definitely not about Clinton.

It's about Harriet Miers and a possible contempt charge.

Do you have anything to add to this thread?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My post was appropriate, and nobody called you a Democrat.

I was pointing out the absurdity of her being called before Congress in the 1st place.

She is being called to testify about the legally fired US attorneys. You know the ones that serve at the pleasure of the President?

# of US Attorneys fired in the last 14 years.

Clinton 96
Bush 8

# of Pardons/Clemency in the last 14 years

Clinton 241
Bush 6

The point is...There should be no hearing on legal activities, and Harriet Miers shouldn't be in this position in the 1st place.

If Harriet Miers is charged with contempt. All President Bush has to do is pardon her also! It's his legal right to do so. Don't like it? Amend the Constitution!

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
BUSH IS A GOD!!!!!!! WORSHIP HIM!!!! HE CAN DO NOTHING WRONG!!!!!

Anyways. Bush sent Gonzo to Texas to protect Republican Pedophiles. His father had a child sex ring ran out of the White House(Franklin Exchange Scandal) and not to mention the likes of GOP Party Leader Bobby Stumbo, Strum Thurmond, Tom Shortridge, Brent Sherman, and the other several hundred GOP Pedophiles.

Yet people like RR will continue worshipping them.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
BH,

Its things like this that will bring that much anticipated "spectacular" attack.

The noose is tightning around that administration, and its their only way out, imo.

The calls for impeachment grow with each passing day and we are at a dangerous point right now.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It seems that the entire bush group of cronies are basting in the new way our president is exploiting and abusing his executive powers.

We can see the dangers our own political system is enduring right now.

I think that if this present administration keep getting push enough it will use any means necessaries to divert attention from the corruption in order to cement more of the abuse of power.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
What hold does this president have on people? Harriet strikes me as a nice lady- i may be wrong, but she seems like a sweet lady. Why, is she embroiled in this?
Why doesnt she just quit and go elsewhere away from the government?
I just cant understand.
There isnt enough money to keep me where there is so much corruption.

EX counsil so go far away Harriet. Maybe the other side of the world.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Perhaps Dg she has not other choices, she may be knowledgeable of information about the bush administration that can be very damaging if released.

I will not be surprise if she has signed some documents or taken a vow of secrecy for Bush personally.

Remember also that many autocrats are also very good on gathering their chosen ones around many will die protecting the ones with authority.

Fetish, blind alliances, the promises of power, you never know what runs in the mind of some nice looking people Dg.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by marg6043]

top topics

join