It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi FM: Turkey massing 140,000 troops on border

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
Very interesting - if the US could talk the turks into securing the northern region of Iraq - would this free up any US troops...

Actually Northern Iraq, in part because of the Kurds is, and has been, a relatively peaceful place for US troops. It is more secure than the "triangle of death" for example or Southern Iraq. The Kurds are not really into the whole Sunni-Shiite thing and they have always been an independent community adminstiring thier own security and laws, even while under Saddam. I suspect this is why the US tolerates them and does not try to interfere. In a place of little hospitality they are good allies and have been successful in helping us secure that part of Iraq. If push comes to shove the US will not tolerate Turkey invading Northern Iraq...

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
hoochy:

No, Iraq was not, by far, the most western nation in the ME...

Iraq was powerful in the 90's.. technologically advanced over many other ME nations with their oil wealth funding the research..

However Westernized is not about technology, its about... attitude.. a mentality if you will that Iraq lacked big time..

Kurdistan in Northern Iraq is westernizing well, as an example..

But Turkey as a SOCIETY is and was by far more western. Several Gulf countries would surpass Iraq as well, such as Bahrain.. also Israel being the most westernized of all ME nations as well..

NWO.....

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
hoochy:

No, Iraq was not, by far, the most western nation in the ME...

Iraq was powerful in the 90's.. technologically advanced over many other ME nations with their oil wealth funding the research..

This was the information that was fed to us before the 1st Gulf War. After the 1st Gulf War I would agree with you that they weren't as Westernized as the rest of the Middle East. But before the 1st Gulf War there are many who would agree with me. There are reasons for this:

1st: We were there supplier of Arms from 1980 to lets say 1990.
2nd: We bought most of there oil in that time frame
3rd: We trained almost all of there Doctors at the time
4th: We Blindly supported there War with Iran through the supply of WMD'S at the time
5th: We DIDN'T GIVE A RATS A** ABOUT THE KURDS AT THE TIME
6th: (This may or may not be true, but I have seen a film on it) Sadaam was actually a CIA agent and was backed by the US Government and provided the approval and the means to kill his Political opponent in the 50's to gain power.

Through these acts, we Westernized Iraq to defeat the evil communists. At the same time, we helped Sadaam and Iraq become the most Westernized, maybe except Israel, in the Middle East.

When Rumsfield went to Iraq and told Sadaam "Go ahead and invade Kuwait" it gave us a perfect opportunity to Control his Country thru the UN and in the meantime set his Country back about 10-20 yrs. This is the US's MO when we decide to do the "Greater Good". We have done this same thing to many countries, especially in Latin America, through CIA Black Op operations which help our main objective.

Just look at what has happened since the Mid 80's as far as our presence in the Middle East. We have permanent basis scattered throughout the Region. I don't doubt for one bit that as soon as we leave the people alone there we will see progress. I don't doubt for one bit that Iraq is the Strategic place to take control of the whole Middle East. It is Centrally located, it has vast resources, and it has people to influence.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join