It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Vehicles for the Apocalypse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thought I should link this neat article from Car and Driver.

The Track T-800CDI is my favorite - runs on biodiesel.

www.caranddriver.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Myself, i would have several big ATV's and perhaps a snowmobile or two depending on where I lived.

A dirtbike is no a bad one either, but if you have young children it may be a bit hard.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. If the apocalypse goes down, there wont be any oil flowing to run these vehicles. Simple as that.

The best vehicles would run off of water or readily available resources.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I will be taking my trusty mountain bike. Or if need be, drive as far as possible with a car, ditch it, and then start riding my bike.

Even if it can only do about 10 mph (not sure how fast the average person can bike, actually), it's near silent, easy to hide in some bushes, doesn't require any fuel except you, and fits easily through tight spaces. Also a lot less parts that can fail. Really if you have a spare chain and innertube, you're good to go.

Also fully endorsed by John Titor
haha.

[edit on 7/8/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If you want a serious vehicle try a Pinzgauer or a Unimog. Once the fuel is gone, stick to a mountain bike or livestock.

The Pinzgauer will out climb a hummer with ease and are ideal for back country mobility. The Unimog also has that go anywhere, do anything attitude and would eat an H2 for breakfast. Biodiesel is great, but trying to grow and hide all those crops is not going to be easy. The biggest drawback for a bike is finding tires after the Apocalypse, as getting flats is bound to happen. As for livestock, horses are reliable and speedy, but they require a fare amount of care. Donkeys and mules are more hardy in the long run.

I plan on the nomadic tribal approach and have no need of a vehicle other than a sailboat to get me to my initial bug out destination. The wind is free and never runs out.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Mercedes-Benz 200D, why?

1) It's a diesel with a good MPG
2)It's strudy as hell
3)It runs on just about any flammable liquid, all you need to do is adjust the feed.
4)No eletricity needed, once you get it running it won't need a battery or an charger and fuel pump is mechanical. So an EMP doesn't effect it.
(you can push it an start it that way, without any electrical power)
5)The engine just keeps on going, the car i'm currently using is from '84 and has clocked 620 000Km, and the engine has never been opened...

6)It has a better cross country mobility than most SUVs

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
that was an awesome article. Not practical by any means but still a very entertaining read!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The original all terain vehicle
Will run on a wide variety of fuels (you can even eat one to fuel the other)
Brilliantly responsive - great feedback.
Intuitive controls fitted as standard.
Anti theft (use the other on to boot a would be theif)
Self cleaning (thats my excuse and i'm stocking to it)
Should last a life time, spares not available yet.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hahahaha... just what I was thinking Now_Then

However did people get aroun before the infernal combustion engine?
Horses would be the best bet, good over most terrain for riding or pulling a wagon, just need a bit of feed and water and produce good combustible material out the other end too (once dried...it's a bugger to light otherwise).

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
This is ridiculous. If the apocalypse goes down, there wont be any oil flowing to run these vehicles. Simple as that.

Well... maybe, depends on the kind of oil you are referring to... as long as it's not the cooking type.

www.caranddriver.com...

The Aug. 07 issue has an interesting article on an old man being strong-armed by the state of Illinois to pay fuel tax to the state for running vegetable oil in his '86 Golf Diesel.

Anyway, a bit off topic. Sorry. By the way, I am not a sales guy for this mag, it was just a coincidence

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A canoe, a small sail boat, and last of your your God locomotives. (your two feet).

If your having to get out of dodge in a hurry....well you didn't watch the warning signs hard enough did you?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Gotta say, that bike is hella sexy.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Amen Now_Then, but if the need be I'd rather be cruising on a bike than running for my life. When # hits the fan, driving around on the motorcycle for even a short period of time will extend mine and other's lives for some time...Hopefully until I'm ready to go.

If you do plan on traveling by foot, make sure you've been hiking quite frequently with heavy packs so you'll be ready to carry the belongings you'll need with you...

Or you can wing it and play minimalist with your life...You will survive, but I'd rather be prepared than use a last minute survival method.

Research how to live in the wilderness and you should be fine

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Tread fearlessly through the apocalyptical war zone with your very own Red tricycle with trailor in tow! Place your precious supplies of salt, wind turbine generator parts and Black Cat Bottle Rockets with Report in your trusty trailor as you set forth on a dangerous mission to install your secret wind turbine!
www.actionfarmtoys.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Big, bad and can turn a squriell (or zombie or MIB agent...) to a pancake in a millisecond.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by ShadeWolf]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Apocalypse or post-apocalypse?

Geological, extraterrestrial or nuclear/war disaster?

Where are we geographically? Suburbia, 'the city', forest, desert, the open ocean?

Assuming the surface of the earth is relatively safe, then I would say the ideal vehicle is a bio-diesel powered 4x4 truck/jeep/suv.

From what I have read from this thread I think ATS members need to research diesel technology. Fuel is not really an issue for diesel, you would be very surprised, I think, to find diesel engines run on a varity of fuels, including... fry oil you can grab from McDonalds, for exapmple...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
#1 best vehicle for an apocalypse is ............ the horse. Grass and water are it's fuel.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
#1 best vehicle for an apocalypse is ............ the horse. Grass and water are it's fuel.

Depends.

Do you have a basecamp? Are you alone?

A 4x4 diesel truck/jeep would make a good vehicle for transporting more then 1 person, and for salvaging metals and supplies.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana

My best vehicles will run on grass. And the occasional hug and an apple or carrot. I recently purchased a pair of horses, and they are "driving" as well as riding. In other words, they can pull a cart or wagon (also in my possession). Further, one is a mare, and can easily be bred to provide additional "vehicles" in times to come.

Will it take me a while to make it out to my spot in the country? Yes...but we can make it, me and mine. I figure there won't be too much of a hurry; and I can go back country with my "vehicles" and wagon, so as to stay out of cities and craziness.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Wouldnt an EMP wipe out most of the vehicles mentioned here?

Horse would be susceptible to Radiation/Chemical or Bio hazards...

Need a vehicle that can survive EMP... Any suggestions?

Not too worried about fuel... should be plenty available for short term.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join