It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Vehicles for the Apocalypse

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
My candidate for vehicle for the apocolypse...the electric narrowboat

The 'Unity'...20m long 2m wide 35ton (with several tons additional cargo capacity)

You could carry enough cargo and supplies to last 4 people for a long time, can navigate most of England via the extensive inland waterway network and negates the need to find shelter as would be a floating-bunker...the 1/4" steel cabin could even be up-armoured by welding extra steel plate to the hull for a truely steam-punk leviathan

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, I live in the UK and can imagine when the plop hits the fan there won't be many places to go to. So I won't need a bike, a car, a lorry or whatever. I think a lovely multi-coloured hot air balloon would do the job. It would be such a novelty for the enemy to see, they'd lower their guns to let me past & escape off to wherever. Where would I go though???? That's the big question.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Heh - Citizen Smith - I thought for sure you had the winner here. However, looking up that link, the company characterizes 4mpg as 'going fast'. I could just see when all hell breaks loose and you need that extra oomph, as the captain of the narrow boat, you could announce that you are putting the 'pedal to the metal' and accelerate from 2mph, to 4 mph

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ah...but who needs to travel any faster? when the sit-x hits the fan, we'll all get covered no matter how fast you try to run!

There's a method in my seemingly crazy idea...load-up with a few tons of stuff such as dried-foods and provisions, a backup coal-burning stove as a steam-powered generator to keep the batteries topped-up and for heat, tools&materials and other bits of salvage, and chug away at a stately pace to the nearest decent tunnel such as at Standedge just a few miles cruising from where I am; drop anchor at the mid-point and I'm practically nuke-proof!

[edit on 17-8-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
yacht (sorry guys but when sit X comes there wont be much fuel going around)

if not that

Toyota Hilux.

You know that utility that you see all the third world freedom fighters pile into the back and they just lop a para on top of the cabin

Well they are reliable, tough, easy to maintain and you can get parts for them all over the world.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahdiblah

Toyota Hilux.

That`s the right answer. Ever see the Top Gear episode where they tried to kill one? Can`t kill `em.

I`m in choice number 2 right now: Mitsubishi Pajero shortie. Diesel, of course.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I'm with Mr. Smith - when those ice-caps go, I'd rather be floating than driving!!

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Definitely a pre-1973 Toyota Land Cruiser (I think same as Hilux) FJ45 diesel. Runs on grease, good cargo capacity for family, and as previously stated, the choice of guerrillas and third world militaries everywhere.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
As much as I love cars, SUVs and dirt bikes, they are not dependable as you need GAS every few hundred miles.

Best is your two feet, and a damn good pair of boots.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I may be mistaken but I remember reading a long time ago a distributer cap ignition vehicle, usually circa '72 or less could survive an emp. Vehicles with computer controlled ignition would be toast. I read this many moons ago.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

That's just common sense.

No modern fuel injected car would survive an EMP.

Any Carb'd engine car would survive, along with dirtbikes, and most ATV's(the real ones, not the gigantic trailor-towers)...

If I had the cash the only thing I could go with would be something custom, a smallish dune buggy with a mid-80's VW diesel engine would be perfection. I've always been tempted to just sell my car and build something like this, and just drive it every day.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Can you fit a couple of horses into that boat? Maybe they could start out by walking the bank of the canals and towing the boat. Might beat 4 mph and save fuel at the same time.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
it has to be the bike, refuel at McD and chip shops haha i'ld never run out of fuel!

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If your vehicle needs chemical fuel, it's doomed.

Despite all high tec you may mention, the only two ultimate vehicles for after the apoc mentioned here, are the horses and bikes. If you cannot see why, you are already dead (if the apoc happens).

sail boats also make a good vehicle if you´re travelling on water.

Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You'll find me on one of these bad boys:

I might have to juice up the tires a bit for all-terrain.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
For the ultimate in post-holocaust vehicular tree-crunching bog-squelching and general nasty terrain laughing-at, you need something as ruggedly bizarre as the screw-drive Zil

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Mmm, i just want one of them now, just for the novelty. damn those Russians and their ideas

personally, i would retreat to the wilderness and live there. infinite food, no need to travel massive distances and all the building materials you need. not that you would be building anything substantial anyway...

getting there would be an issue for most, so thats why it is best to be there when it happens.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'd out-run the EMP...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
quick escapes at high alttitude, with a little more power you could launch yourself from a standing position.

I always thought about a GyroCopter, they're pretty cool and could be useful

[edit on 16/3/08 by Obsurion]

if i had the money i would probably get a kit or build my own gyrocopter.

[edit on 16/3/08 by Obsurion]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
since any apocalypse or TEOTWAWKI event, should have its share of technology Oasis'... in the manner of a Mad Max -Border Town-,
with electricity...

one might order one of these vehicles,
a two seater with a volumous trunk that will travel 120 miles
(keep in mind that's Roundtrip mileage)

see
aptera.com...

go out in style ! (this page has more specs on the vehicle...incl $$$$)
aptera.com...

[edit on 16-3-2008 by St Udio]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join