It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paedo vicar still picks up pay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Paedo vicar still picks up pay

www.thesun.co.uk

A PAEDO vicar is still being paid his £20,000-a-year salary by the Church of England - two months after he was caged for abusing young boys.

The Rev David Smith, 52, is also still technically the priest at St John’s in Clevedon, Somerset, where he groomed and molested two vulnerable youngsters.

He was sentenced to five-and-a-half years in jail in May after being convicted of a string of sexual assaults on boys over a 30-year-period.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hawick-news.co.uk
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.worcesternews.co.uk

[edit on 5/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a convicted pedophile still gets 20k from the church of england
they wont stop paying him for legal reasons.

the sun isnt that reliable so i have addede other sources

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If this is true, that salary should go to his victims.

Red tape my backside, this is just another case of the church looking after thier own, no matter what they've done.

CX.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not only is he still getting payed, he only got just short of six years?

This is perverse. The sicko shouldn't only be jailed for life, but all his money and pay should be given to those who's lives he has blighted.

Taking someone like this off of Church records should be done immediately, the longer he stays as a vicar, the less respect I have for the Church and their quite frankly, sick, ways.

Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here's what I think is going down-I think the Vicar has blackmailed the Church-"You can't fire me, I'll take you down with me! I know TONS of other sex offenders in the Church and I'm willing to go to the press!"

Hush money.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Interesting...and on a personal note I do believe anyone convicted of sexual crimes against a minor should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. However, it's a sad fact that prisons are overcrowded and often these types of crimes get handed small sentenses, no matter what country we are talking about. When I teach classes around various prisons in my state I run into at least 1 or 2 people in every class with crimes linked to pedophilia going through pre-release orientation...and these inmates are on their way out of the prison system. On top of that, Pedophilia is actually described as at mental disorder in most psychiatric diagnosis manuals, and this could set a precedent should any convicted pedophile plead insanity. Meanwhile, drug offenders often get longer sentenses than violent offenders of this type...something that seems to be a strong indicator of the governments failed "war on drugs".

Alluding to what uberarcanist said, I'm curious what the reasons for his continued salary are? One cannot help but think that there is something more going on than just "red tape for delaying his removal from office" as the article stated.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I am wondering, why are people still attending church on Sundays? I mean, do they support pedophiles or priests who are silent about it? No true Christian should support criminal organizations or is this new rule today?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Beware of the man who cloaks himself in the shroud of religeon.....
...... my mother would say.
My years in my high school class of '66 produced no less than 12 students who chose an ecclesiastical career.
One student terrorised women and raped them and was evenutally brought to justice. Another was apprehended after a long period of being a 'peeping tom'. A third was a serial 'flasher' who stalked women waiting in bus stations. (and rather ironically he was a very close friend of mine).
Yet another from the class of '66 wore a balaclava and openly masterbated
in libraries around the county until arrested and jailed.
One individual left town in a hurry after being caught using public toilets for gay sex. All these offences were within a 4 year period.
I have to ponder the question of why do people such as these individuals choose a career in faith and spirituality?
Concerning the paedophile minister his pay should be ploughed into victim support groups and should never be allowed to return to his previous profession.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon
and should never be allowed to return to his previous profession.

He should never be allowed to see the light of day again.

What makes it worse was that he was in a position of trust. They should lock him up in the smallest cell possible and throw away the key, make him suffer for what he did.

There are two crimes on this planet that are unforgivable, can never be accidental or justified, that's rape and pedophilia. People who commit these crimes should either be locked away for life or executed.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sb2012
I am wondering, why are people still attending church on Sundays? I mean, do they support pedophiles or priests who are silent about it? No true Christian should support criminal organizations or is this new rule today?

Now, I agree no Christian should attend a church where evil acts are going unaddressed, BUT to say all churches are sinister just because there are bad apples out there is illogical. It's "guilty until proven innocent".

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Quick! Someone use the word christofacist! (oops I just did) If this had been about a muslim imam there would be 15 pages of hate already, linking right wing sites from all across the world.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Quick! Someone use the word christofacist! (oops I just did) If this had been about a muslim imam there would be 15 pages of hate already, linking right wing sites from all across the world.

maybe some of us like to show more class then others

seriously though there are cases like this all around the world with most being hidden by the churches.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar

and should never be allowed to return to his previous profession.

He should never be allowed to see the light of day again.

There are two crimes on this planet that are unforgivable, can never be accidental or justified, that's rape and pedophilia. People who commit these crimes should either be locked away for life or executed.

I could not agree more! Sadly the limp wristed justice system in this country is to soft on these perverts.
Sadly some prison sentences do not reflect the magnitude of the crime.
I do hope that this pervert gets a hard time from other inmates and his stay is nothing less than the purgatory that he has probabley preached about.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   

(...)
Sadly some prison sentences do not reflect the magnitude of the crime.
I do hope that this pervert gets a hard time from other inmates and his stay is nothing less than the purgatory that he has probabley preached about.

What you do not wish upon yourself, extend not to others. Prison system is a shame and rarely fixes anything, just breeds more violence.

You also need to understand people have needs and some needs are not socially acceptable, but still needs are there. Really spiritual people go past those needs and they see them as primitive and wrong thing to do. If Catholic priests do that kind of crimes it means there is no salvation and no spiritual power in the Church and people should stop going there since it can poison your mind and expose your children to the pedophiles.

top topics

join