It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if the states got hit witha dirty bomb?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I was just wondering what would happen if a dirty bomb was to hit the US, because i can find anywhere on the net with details on this topic.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
take names and kick ass.

[Edited on 1-8-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
as you probably know a dirty bomb is NOT very strong...

but if the wind is blowing the right way...

for example...

if i put a dirty bomb on a boat next to San Fransico...

and the wind would be blowing AWAY from the city then NOTHING would happen..

BUT if the wind was blow towards the city well then...

there would be one HELL of a problem...

in all a dirty bomb is mostly radiation that it spreads and if the wind blows the WRONG way then the dirty bomb will NOT be very effective...

What People Should Do Following an Explosion

Move away from the immediate area--at least several blocks from the explosion--and go inside. This will reduce exposure to any radioactive airborne dust.

Turn on local radio or TV channels for advisories from emergency response and health authorities.

If facilities are available, remove clothes and place them in a sealed plastic bag. Saving contaminated clothing will allow testing for radiation exposure.

Take a shower to wash off dust and dirt. This will reduce total radiation exposure, if the explosive device contained radioactive material.

If radioactive material was released, local news broadcasts will advise people where to report for radiation monitoring and blood and other tests to determine whether they were in fact exposed and what steps to take to protect their health.

Impact of a Dirty Bomb

The extent of local contamination would depend on a number of factors, including the size of the explosive, the amount and type of radioactive material used, and weather conditions. Prompt detectability of the kind of radioactive material employed would greatly assist local authorities in advising the community on protective measures, such as quickly leaving the immediate area, or going inside until being further advised. Subsequent decontamination of the affected area could involve considerable time and expense.

for more info...

dirty bomb info

a slide show about dirty bombs for people that dont realy understand them

more good Q/A info

more info

alot of info on dirty bombs

mechanics of dirty bomb

i wish that was enough info....

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Informered
I was just wondering what would happen if a dirty bomb was to hit the US, because i can find anywhere on the net with details on this topic.

Search buttons in forums usually help.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
as you probably know a dirty bomb is NOT very strong...

but if the wind is blowing the right way...

for example...

if i put a dirty bomb on a boat next to San Fransico...

and the wind would be blowing AWAY from the city then NOTHING would happen..

BUT if the wind was blow towards the city well then...

there would be one HELL of a problem...

in all a dirty bomb is mostly radiation that it spreads and if the wind blows the WRONG way then the dirty bomb will NOT be very effective...

What People Should Do Following an Explosion

Move away from the immediate area--at least several blocks from the explosion--and go inside. This will reduce exposure to any radioactive airborne dust.

Turn on local radio or TV channels for advisories from emergency response and health authorities.

If facilities are available, remove clothes and place them in a sealed plastic bag. Saving contaminated clothing will allow testing for radiation exposure.

Take a shower to wash off dust and dirt. This will reduce total radiation exposure, if the explosive device contained radioactive material.

If radioactive material was released, local news broadcasts will advise people where to report for radiation monitoring and blood and other tests to determine whether they were in fact exposed and what steps to take to protect their health.

Impact of a Dirty Bomb

The extent of local contamination would depend on a number of factors, including the size of the explosive, the amount and type of radioactive material used, and weather conditions. Prompt detectability of the kind of radioactive material employed would greatly assist local authorities in advising the community on protective measures, such as quickly leaving the immediate area, or going inside until being further advised. Subsequent decontamination of the affected area could involve considerable time and expense.

for more info...

dirty bomb info

a slide show about dirty bombs for people that dont realy understand them

more good Q/A info

more info

alot of info on dirty bombs

mechanics of dirty bomb

i wish that was enough info....

move away several blocks? if that happens im getting the # outta dodge man!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
thanks for all the info it cleared up a lot

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Informered]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
well depends on ythre dirty bomb. dirty bombs are usually refered to as being radioactive in nature but does not have to have nuclear material in order to be a dirty bomb. chemical or biological agents can be used. since terrorists are suicidal their deaths are forfiet to their cause so them getting sick is a minor inconvenience to them.

first lets discuss WHY a dirty bomb would be used.

first and foremost the initial damage of property, disruption of normal daily activities would cease or be altered for an extended period of time. terrorists LOVE to create chaos and panic.

the second reason is a little more long term and vague. radiation poisoning. maybe not enough to make you sick or kill you but enough to alter your DNA and younger generations DNA and their childrens DNA increasing the chances of getting sick from certain things and raising the risk of birth defects...etc etc. lots of long term medical problems. freom those medical problems come more finances needed to research what problems will occur (this is BEFORE they show up) and then ways of finding out who is more suseptable to what AFTER symptoms start showing in others. basically medical financial pyshcological and.....property damage (not the kind you can see) rendering a whole portion of a city useless and uninhabitable. the more suffering they can make us go through (regardless of what kind of suffering it is) the more they like it.

even a small can say the size of a 12 ounce can of beer with the right wind conditions can effects many square miles, not blocks, SQUARE MILES. those and that closeest to the blast are are the ones that are most effected. those the farthest away to feel any effects will be in the "nuisance zone" and varying effects will occur.

now imagine a van, a box van full of the stuff and they pack about a pound of C4 or any reasonably good plastic explosive...disastrous.

now of course they can also make a combo bomb and add chemical biological and nuclear material and make it a jack of all trades bomb.

i'm more concerned about nuclear and radioactive material bombs than the others. creating the right charge for biological weapons to disperse correctly is reasonably beyond the capabilities of John Q Terrorist in his broom closet. chemical weapons only effect those in the area, its not contageous so the effects are limiting compared to the other two methods.

radioactive material though...travels on the wind like a dandelion seed. scary. you cant see it so you cant tell you've breathed it in, you cant smell or taste it either and you cant tell how much you've taken in.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
lol yeah for real Russian, a couple blocks? How about a couple states!

Other than that, that advice was pretty good, some good links too..nice info Russian!

-wD

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have a question on this. I know that dirty bombs are not nuclear bombs, but bombs that would spread harmful radiation. My question is:

Would someone really need to make an explosive device to do that? I really don't know the answer. It just seems like radiation could be spread in other ways. If that is correct though, maybe that would poison the distributor. Or maybe the explosion could add some emotional impact of terror. (but its probably a needed step to use an explosive device)

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
I have a question on this. I know that dirty bombs are not nuclear bombs, but bombs that would spread harmful radiation. My question is:

Would someone really need to make an explosive device to do that? I really don't know the answer. It just seems like radiation could be spread in other ways. If that is correct though, maybe that would poison the distributor. Or maybe the explosion could add some emotional impact of terror. (but its probably a needed step to use an explosive device)

read my above post. the more chaos, the more they like it. you COULD do it through other less conspicuous ways but they dont want to be subtle. they WANT to be loud aggressive and destructive, preferably as much as possible. they want to make a statement, not just hurt people. they want to scare people, not just kill them. they WANT us to be scared and what better way than to make things that go boom and bang. its psychological as much as it is about destroying us physically, they want to break us down mentally and judging from some on this sight...it shouldnt be too terribly difficult. it is SO easy to scare the hell out of paranoid people let alone unsuspecting people.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

This is probably the reason for the chem/radiation detectors all over the place in major cities now. I'm sure the authorities are well aware that a bomb isn't the only delivery method.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by BelowtheRadar]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The greatest weapon of terrorists is not what they have done in the past or what they just did but is merely the idea that they will do something tomorrow...

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
"What would happen if the states got hit witha dirty bomb?"

FULCRUM would throw a party

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   
[Edited on 11-1-2004 by xxKristinexx]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I suspect a lot of people would die

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Dirty bomb? Does anyone remember the above ground testing they did in Navada for over 20 years? WE DIRTY BOMBED OURSELVES quite nicely. Its already been done!

new topics

top topics

join