It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House, Cheney's Office, Subpoenaed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

White House, Cheney's Office, Subpoenaed

hosted.ap.org

The Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office Wednesday for documents relating to President Bush's warrantless eavesdropping program.

Also named in subpoenas signed by committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., were the Justice Department and the National Security Council. The four parties have until July 18 to comply, according to a statement by Leahy's office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Senate Panel Seeks Domestic Spying Documents Ex-Justice Official: Spy Plan Sparked Threats to Quit

[edit on 6/27/2007 by aecreate]

[edit on 6/27/2007 by aecreate]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's about time some subpoenas were issued..
The more the merrier I say! After everything
this administration has been getting away with,
let's have some transparency for once.

In the meantime till the July 18th deadline,
what can we expect? How can they manuever
out of this one? The plot is gettin rather thick..

Where's that random terrorist event?

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sounds good to me.

Of course, now that Cheney is part of the Legislative Branch, thanks to his happy new legal theory, he now has no authority to claim executive privilege in any way whatsoever, and in fact is beholden pretty much to whatever Congress wants to do with him vis oversight.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
We should expect that the Bush administration will actively challenge each of these seven subpoenas in court. Expect the President himself to step in and claim National Security and Executive Privilidge. Yes, there is some partisanship in this...but...there is also some truth-seeking.

The blood-letting that is about to start will be driven by partisan politics, but these guys do have a lot of sneaky dealings to answer for. It's rather sad to thinkthat most of this couldhave been avoided with better answers to our questions, or, just a little bit of da truth.

Then again, I'd also like to point out that the administration's behavior amounts to nothing less than a tantrum fit thrown by a spoiled brat. Just as bad policy is bad plicy, bad behavior is unprofessional no matter how you slice it.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
when Bush and Cheney refuse to comply with these subpoenas, congress will either have to impeach, or admit we are a dictatorship.

There is a big problem on the horizon.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
what is it with compliance dates being stretched so much. Do you know how much can be hidden or covered up in such time. They should just haul his butt into court and thats it. No time to shred documents or think of excuses. Hes been dancing long enough.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
when Bush and Cheney refuse to comply with these subpoenas, congress will either have to impeach, or admit we are a dictatorship.

There is a big problem on the horizon.

Or, As previously stated Chenney says his division is exempt from normal governmental agencies... could he just step around these subpheonas stating national security?

How about he answers them with the vague and conflicting answers smiliar to scooter libby?

But I agree, If he doesnt take the stand and offering up everything they ask for, its clear that the government has enforced itself to be above the law of the land, and thus they are not a government for the people, they are a dictatorship.

Gonzale's, Libby, Cheney..... Its about bloody time our paid representatives answerd OUR Questions.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Hmm the United States vs Untied States......
But there is precedence that works against Cheney United States vs Nixon. The US political system is geared towards checks and balance rather then needing an majority to govern. At least in the 1970s those checks and balances proved there worth and did there job.

IMO Cheney will put a fight and try and drag things out as long as possible they only have to stall for another year or so and then they will leave office. Even if things go as far as the Supreme Court I still think that Cheney will look to delay as long as possible unless him and his team think that the judges would rule in his favour.

Less than three weeks later the Court issued its decision. The justices struggled to write an opinion that all eight could agree to. The stakes were so high, in that the tapes most likely contained evidence of criminal wrongdoing by the President and his men, that they wanted no dissent. All contributed to the opinion and Chief Justice Burger delivered the unanimous decision. After ruling that the Court could indeed resolve the matter and that Jaworski had proven a "sufficient likelihood that each of the tapes contains conversations relevant to the offenses charged in the indictment," the Court went to the main issue of executive privilege. The Court rejected Nixon's claim to an absolute, unqualified executive privilege from the judicial process under all circumstances

source

[edit on 28-6-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Good for them for issuing the subpoenas. Cheney & company will find a way to avoid them, or else just ignore them, but at least it sends a message to the public, and hopefully wakes them up to see the kind of people that they were dumb enough to elect for what they really are.

As a slight aside, didn't Cheney get subpoenaed sometime recently (other than this event) and find a way to avoid it? I cannot remember now if it was him or some other prominent figure. I could have sworn I saw a similar story in the last few months.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I cannot remember now if it was him or some other prominent figure. I could have sworn I saw a similar story in the last few months.

I beluieve that it was Condosleeza Rice.

new topics

top topics

join