It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Survival Training Programs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I've been itching to go to a survival training program that is out there and I was curious if anyone here has ever visited one and what were the thoughts on it?

I know they are expensive so my biggest curiosity is if it is worth the cost and was it a learning experience that you would be able to take with you if the unthinkable did happen to occur and you were in a survival situation?

One of the programs that I have looked into is the Boulder Outdoor Survival School.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
So has anyone here been to an actual survival school before?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I would recommend going to a minimalist survival school.

You want to be able to survive under the worst possible conditions. This includes being stranded with no water and shelter, making do with what you have on your back.

Having a bug out bag nearby in case of emergency would be a good step, but you may need proper training and judgment to survive a "situation X."

Fire, shelter, food, water, safety are all basic tenets of life. You may need to get some military (paramilitary maybe) training to fit that need. I don't think you want to go to Iraq though, so survival school is your best bet.

Make sure you go to one that includes all terrains so you can be sure to stay alive anywhere.

Good luck with your research. We may all need this type of training to survive soon I fear.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by build319
So has anyone here been to an actual survival school before?

I went to a minimalist backpacking "school" I guess you could say. It was more or less group therapy in the desert for two months. I was taught how to live with the basics: food, clothes, and for shelter a US military surplus poncho. We had to build our own fires for heat/cooking, although food was dropped off every week.

That would have been nice to learn, survival in the elements by foraging. That may be my next trip

Farming is also a good skill to have as well as hunting.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the response biggie.

The link I put in the original post seems to be a minimalist and naturalist school. They do drop off one set of rations though. A sheep. In the training they teach you how to slaughter the sheep and use its various body parts for food, clothing and shelter.

I really want to go to a place that teaches you on how to survive the worst circumstances that can be thrown at you. I think that may take a few years and few thousand dollars though.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Take a look at some of those man vs. wild videos on you tube, real eye openers, very basic and easy to understand and even a bit entertaining. I wouldn’t spend 3,000+$ on a month coarse cause one I don’t have that kind of money and two they should be free.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Man vs wild has some great information. I learned how to survive in the wild at a young age, they taught us how to catch and hunt our own food, find wild berries and what stuff you could eat when stuck in the woods. We also learned what could be used for medical purposes if injured and away from mankind. We learned where to sleep to keep warm and making primitive shelters. I think it's a great idea learn to survival tactics. Good luck to you.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by build319
I really want to go to a place that teaches you on how to survive the worst circumstances that can be thrown at you. I think that may take a few years and few thousand dollars though.

Well, or you could join the Navy, bust arse for several years till you were tapped for the SEALS, survive Hell Week, and then the HARD training begins.

...or you could join the Marines as a grunt. Either one would teach you how to survive in some god-awful circumstances. Of course, the downside is that it's at least a 4-year course, and lately, more like a 6 year course. And there's a pretty good chance you'll die, but I hear the fringe benefits are great.

But they do pay you to take the class.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't think my son would appreciate me leaving him for a 6month basic training program. But I agree that the SEALs or Marines would be a great way to learn the tricks of the trade.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
www.trackerschool.com...

Tom Brown= King

I haven't been able to scrap together the funds to go myself. However, The dozen or so people I know who could praised him to the high Heavens. He's a bit "out there" with the get in tune with nature deal. But he's the real thing.

new topics

top topics

join