It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Put the Hazard Back into the Golf Course Water Hazard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I've never really given this much consideration until now, but I heard the other day that a lot of golf courses are experimenting with new sand and what not to make sand traps and bunkers more of a penalty on the golf course. Heck, I'm a beginning, rank amateur and I don't sweat the bunkers in the least, so it only makes sense that maybe they need to make them a little more challenging for the pros.

Now, I've always considered water hazards on golf courses to be just a little mean-spirited, insofar as not only do you lose a shot, but your ball, as well, and golf balls ain't cheap.

But, what the hey? I'm a poor guy who's approached the game on the cheap, buying good, but inexpensive clubs. Even my golfing attire, while quite stylish is from WalMart, from my hats and caps and my underwear, to my polo shirts, slacks, glove, and golf shoes. I'm even playing the game with shag balls that cost about a quarter a piece to keep the cost of learning the game (and losing balls) a little lower.

But, what about those other guys you see on the course with their sun-bleached hair and deep dark tans, their Callaway clubs, their top-of-the line personalized golf balls, their snazzy carts and their golf-boutique, high fashion, "high performance" attire? Does it mean anything to them to lose a ball in a water hazard? I think not!

I think maybe alligators, snapping turtles, and water moccasins should be mandatory for all golf courses. Let's put the hazard back into water hazard and make those rich guys who spend an arm and a leg on the game really cough up an arm or a leg and maybe a finger, now and then.

If the idea catches on, then maybe adding some grizzlies and big cats to the courses could spice things up a little more.

Why should Florida have all the fun?

"What'd'ya think, Hector? A .308 or a .44 Magnum on this shot?"

Golfer Survives Gator Attack in Florida

A man who lost his ball in a golf course pond nearly lost a limb when a nearly 11-foot alligator latched on to his arm and pulled him in the water, authorities said.

Bruce Burger, 50, was trying to retrieve his ball Monday from a pond on the sixth hole at the Lake Venice Golf Club.

The pond at the sixth hole has a "Beware of Alligator" sign.

"Unfortunately, that's part of Florida," course general manager Rod Parry said. "There's wildlife in these ponds."

abcnews.go.com

[edit on 2007/6/26 by GradyPhilpott]

edit: title

[edit on 26-6-2007 by sanctum] extra DIV

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Oh my goodness Grady. Who would have thought that Golf could be such an adventure. I thought that it was a gentlemens game, I should have known that there would be a need for commandos somewhere in the mix.

I knew lightening could be a hazard, but now there is a real threat of bears, snakes and cougars. Better add that weapon to your bag along with the sunscreen.

Great pictures. I'm glad that they are in FL.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
gators arent really that aggressive imo.

get some crocs, and make it a real sport, no gun. USE THE CLUB!!!!

or man

sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
gators arent really that aggressive imo.

get some crocs, and make it a real sport, no gun. USE THE CLUB!!!!

or man

sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

wait or the bear could have laser beams!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
One of my favorite signs was at Marshall Canyon golf course a little east of L.A in LaVerne. It was on the Par 3 11th and it read...

BEWARE OF MOUNTAIN LIONS

As if I wasn't having a hard enough time keeping my head down...

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Essedarius]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
As if I wasn't having a hard enough time keeping my head down...

I know exactly what you mean.

I guess my idea wasn't so original, after all.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Pebble Beach has great whites in it's water hazards.........top that!

I still remember when Daly hit it into the bay on 18 and then proceeded to throw his driver in the bay. Then some crazed fan dove in swam to retrieve it. He was probably good and liquored-up. The fan I mean......not Daly.........well maybe Daly too.

Peace

top topics

join