It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are sitting ducks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
We feel safe because we can talk about this and alert eachother online. What happens if the internet get's cut. FBI already took control of cable providers and internet service providers. Its not only to censor and spy, its also to control so they can shut it off when they want. It will become every man and woman for themselves, all watching the news on the tv like the movie Vendetta. They won't allow you to know they are sweeping California and Florida. But when its time for your state, a knock on the door and its over. Why would they need to bother asking for firearms when they could send expendable policeman at your door.

Police shows and the such are to tell the public not to run. Submit to the police.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by spiritp0wer]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
They can't shut down the internet. They'd have to shut down every server in the world. Not possible.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Thats a thought that makes me cringe , but I guess it would be paranoia they say but at the same time I notice when head to work or go shopping I have noticed that It just happens that they are working on every bridge in the area and the major road way could be blocked off north and south. So I started mapping out anouther route just incase and guess what the other road
which I can take is now getting worked on (bridge) and will reopen in may of 08
of course there will be other ways but I have a feeling if we were to be herded this is the was to do it
shut communications
shut down the road ways
and have posts set up on "country roads" in case people do get by

I know it doesn't go along with the op but its a thought that can go with it

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Even if there are servers over seas or whatever how the heck am i going to connect to the internet. That is kinda scary, how would we be able to communicate, ham radios I guess. Maybe not a bad idea to start up that hobbie.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I thought you can't shut down the system no matter what country they shut down. I could be totally wrong.

How about carrier pidgeons. They could make a comeback?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I was getting into ham along time ago before moving to where i am now and
wanted to get into it again with my wife and such but wow its gotten to costly for me.
I might stick with a cb base, to bad most scanner stuff switched to digital and trunking my scanner doesn't work here either.

Unless there was a way with out paying for costly software I'd set my puter up for the ham/scanner

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
wouldn't the emp of a nuclear device devastate our computers and break them. only the military would be able to communicate at that point.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If everyone had a cb you could organize a system of long distance communication. It would be a way of communicating without all the high cost. I say cb.
But still how would I connect to the internet if they shut me off, even if there are servers wherever how does that connect me?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
I thought you can't shut down the system no matter what country they shut down. I could be totally wrong.

How about carrier pidgeons. They could make a comeback?

I suppose it has to do with what you mean by 'shut down' the internet, I can't see it being that difficult to jam it up with relentless DoS (denial of service) attacks making it all but impossable for any one to get any thing done. Also the optical cables that cross the seas and oceans could physically be cut.

If you were detirmined to use the net you could - but 95% of people in the affected areas would probably just sit there waiting for normal service to be resumed - or the internet fades into distant memory - which ever comes first.

Oh yhea pigeons = kestrel food

[edit on 25/6/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
They're going to either shut down the internet, or you will need a special
top secret clearance to operate one, or we will only be able to have a few websites.

There's too much here and this government does not like it. They must be at work even as we speak to shut down what they can. This includes ATS.

Maybe then a few will wake up as to whats really happening?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The internet today, and consequently the WWW, is not going to be shut down. What it would require to do this, along with the amount of people put out of jobs as a result, would DESTROY the world economy.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
They can easily shut down the web.

There are several options:
  • Close down the backbone, so everything slows to a dialup crawl and causes the alternative routes to give out.
  • Close down the root DNS servers, so no one can get to anything.
  • Move Google, msn, and yahoo to Internet 2 so no one can search for anything.

Do not kid yourself about how easily the internet can be (physically) shut down. It is a trust based system of routers and fiber optic cables between companies which have agreements. Send in the feds and its all over.

• posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:08 PM
    link   
    It's interesting that you started this thread since I was just running the possibilities of something like that occurring and what might transpire over the short run.

It would be possible to shut down the entire country if a hostile detonated an EMP just 300 miles above the US. What is the likelihood of this occurring? The odd are not very high from a rogue state since they would like the hardware to get a device to that altitude without being intercepted, from an unfriendly state such as China or North Korea, quite possible. EMP attack can't be ruled out.

This would of course not only disable communications on the internet but every electronic system including but not limited to banking, cell communications, transportation, medical, distribution and our future ability to grow crops en mass.

Given that we've just heard our first reports of "cyber-attacks" taking down Pentagon computers (possible false flag in preparation for a major operation), and the free flow of information and news that the government can't control, and the fact that it would be advantageous for a hostile to create as much confusion as possible before and after an "attack", I think we all should consider alternative means of communication and harden what lines we have.

It would also be advisable to make preparations and to form a network of people with your church, friends, whatever and make a plan of action if something like this were to occur.

I think the damage to our "society" would be irreparable and people would go nuts! It would not be a time of cooler heads prevailing.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by MrMicrophone]

[edit on 25-6-2007 by MrMicrophone]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:15 PM
    link   
    i think its funny how people act like the human race/america can't survive without the internet! So what, let them take it...what happened before internet, or the phone, or cars...people did just fine...what concerns me is the dependency we have on all this technology...people are so spoiled these days its crazy. If you could flick a switch and take us all back to the old west, or even back to the 1800's (aka..civil war 'ish era) MOST people wouldnt be able to handle it....its sad that we are scared of loosing the net...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 01:16 PM
    link   
    Impossible to shutdown the entire internet. They would literally have to shutdown electricity altogether. Routers are setup to take the best path to get from point A to point B. When one way is broken it automatically redirects itself another way.

One major way they could do this is knock out the satellites which would cause the internet to become very localized (IF THAT).

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 03:39 PM
    link   
    I think its time to show this- Ive known about this movie for a few months now. Don't take offense to this- don't shoot the messenger ok?

patriotfiles.org...

Hemp (high altitude electro magnetic pulse) bombs can knock out the national power grid that can knock the US back a hundred years nothing will work. And I mean nothing. Forget the cell phones,gas pumps, your cars, and the internet!! etc.

For shame your worried about the internet?! Oh come on people get with the program.

You know in the bible it says the US Babylon will fall in one hour and no one can save us. And your worried about the internet?!

Revelation 18:10
    Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, Alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city, for in one hour is thy judgment come.

www.thewatcherfiles.com...

I don't know how much more proof you need here.

[edit on 6/25/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 06:58 PM
    link   
    I'm all for shutting down the Internet, but only after I've been able to meet a few more chicks on the dating sites. Without the Internet, I'd have to go back to picking them up in bars and at the supermarket, and that's a real hassle.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:45 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Leyla
    Forget the cell phones,gas pumps, your cars, and the internet!! etc.
    [edit on 6/25/2007 by Leyla]

Well that wouldn't be bad, would it?.

I for one wouldn't mind if all cell phones suddenly didn't work anymore.(No more none recycle cancer boxes that no body needs in the first place.)

I for one wouldn't mind if there were no more gas.(No more poison in the air.)

I for one wouldn't mind if no more cars were being made.(No more pollution and no more accidents, no more drunk killings)

The internet? Well, it wouldn't be so bad to live with out it honestly, there are plenty of other things to do outside in a beautiful landscape of wonderful nature that we have left.

Of course, I would love for the government to fall.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:05 AM
    link   

Originally posted by spiritp0wer
    wouldn't the emp device devastate our computers and break them. only the military would be able to communicate at that point.

I think the general idea of an EMP is that it disables every piece of electric equipment.

CBS, Ham radios, tvs, nothing would work.

We would have to start from scratch. Either build our own "new" way of communicating or make sure we have a spare radio locked in a lead case.

I don't see how the civilian population could get around such an attack. We might have to send scouts on horseback again...Or extreme hikers.

Heck, I'd be first in line to be a messenger. Most don't shoot the bearer of bad news right?

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:58 AM
    link   
    If you're worried about EMP, buy radios that use vacuum tubes. They are less vulnerable than transistors.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join