It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I see another missing white female on the news...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The media is bad enough without this staple. And it IS a staple. It's like "weather, crime, and missing white girl" is the formula.

Don't get me wrong, crime is deplorable and death is tragic, but damn, I honestly am 2 MWFs from not giving a damn. I mean, the insane COVERAGE these stories get.:shk:

The media makes no secret as to which females in America count most. Real talk, I can't remember the last time I saw a pretty black woman, Latina, Asian, basically non-white woman, all OVER the news because she's missing.

What else is it, then, if this isn't true? Are white women too stupid to avoid situations where they come up missing? Or is it merely that MWFs generate great ratings for the news stations?

I'm gonna go with the American premium on white females and the media money shot...

:w:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Post Removed.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have to disagree with, some of you statements,

Are white women too stupid to avoid situations where they come up missing? ,,

While i agree that the news does seem to be dominated with stories of white women missing, I don't think that the people them selfs can be put to blame, Well anymore so than anyother Culture or race,

There are many things that would have to be looked into,
Including the risk factors of places and crime rate,
Media it seems may be somewhat to blame, and those are the things we need to look in to,

You also have to look at the other factors beyond color, Missing men is higher than missing white or black women, Again not much coverage of these factors,

www.msnbc.msn.com...

theres an article on the matter from 2005

By generalizing we fall in to the trap that may also cause this,

And again so many factors, you have to look at all the cards on the table i believe,

You could say that Certain classes of white women may get over looked,

i guess the real question is "how do we change this?

[edit on 24-6-2007 by asala]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Don't forget that this woman (if it's the most current one, you are referring to),
was nine months pregnant. Which made a quick resolution even more important.

Then, you have the families and neighbors, which are often intrumental in keeping the story alive, in the media.

Sadly, she was found dead.
And her boyfriend is the prime suspect.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Aha what a topic of conversation this could go on for hours. I have many issues with the racial media coverage.

Okay lets start, a murder is a murder no matter the colour of their skin.
I am afraid to say that white woman do get more media coverage. But as ASala so rightly stated some white women go missing and get 2 hours of police time then that's it done. Some get mass media coverage. Depends on everything.

Also just something that niggled me,

I can't remember the last time I saw a pretty black woman, Latina, Asian, basically non-white woman, all OVER the news because she's missing.

Why does the person have to be pretty, any person missing is worthy of attention, not because of their skin colour age or gender or looks.

And to be honest your small minded head should get round that little fact right there because your going to be stuck on stupid for the rest of your life other wise.

And you want to talk about a white woman coverage, lets talk about the way the media portrays the fighting of mixed races.

White boy killed no a battered eye lid, coloured person gets killed...nation wide spread front page news, " young man killed in racial attack" just because the colour of his skin.

They don't know if it was due to the colour of his skin they automatically state that fact.

A coloured person hits a white person nothing happens, white person hits coloured person, white person arrest for an racial attack.

I know this from a lot of personal experience,

1) my brother stopped a fight in the middle of the town center and he got hit in the face 5 times by a black man and then when my brother decided that it was enough he hit back and my brother is very strong and floored the man. Cut a long story short my brother in 10 days from then is in court for attacking the man because the colour of his skin.... okay without this next bit of information a person can look onto this and say " well it may have been racial"

But it wasn't you know why. because we both have a sister who is from Pakistan, and another sister from Egypt. So they are both coloured... so my brother is in court for being a racist yet his 2 sisters are not white.... right... and when this information came about the charges where dropped.

So how does that work out, my brother tries to stop the fight and gets punched and he is the one ending up in court because the other man claimed it was a racial attack....

2) had an arguement with a black boy in school when i was younger, he said to me " *uck off you piece of white trash" i said " *uck of you black bastard*.

Both racial comments, who was the one suspended? who was the one branded as a racist? Me. Any one who knows me i am not a racist.

Ahhhoaa you want to know why he got off his words where " i am sorry i didnt know she would find it offencive"......??

You, are nothing but a racist and a small minded little man who has no perspective of anything apart from
"that colour has more attention than mine or his".

But this is my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Don't forget that this woman (if it's the most current one, you are referring to),
was nine months pregnant. Which made a quick resolution even more important.

Then, you have the families and neighbors, which are often intrumental in keeping the story alive, in the media.

Sadly, she was found dead.
And her boyfriend is the prime suspect.

And what I find rather ironic about this case, the one the racist OP is obviously referring to, she was white.. went missing, hes mad she got media coverage and it turns out..........

A black man killed her.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I mean, the insane COVERAGE these stories get.:shk:

Insane coverage .. like -

Duke LaCross -

3 innocent (white) men dragged through the mud and lied about. Their lives were threatened and their academic careers put in jeapordy ... because a crazy (black) woman lied about them raping her (not the first time she lied about men raping her). Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpon joined the lynch mob. The college profs joined in. They almost went to jail for a very long time ...

Talk about insane media coverage ...

And now that they (the white men) are known to be innocent .. not a word from Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton .. or any of the other bozos who backed the black woman who LIED. BTW .. why isn't she in jail? Oh .. the white guy (the prosecuter) is taking the entire hit. He should go to jail .. but so should she. So why isn't she? Where's the press coverage on her?

:shk:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
from his crap...

And the complete garbage in your sig,

I would say its safe to say your just another racist bigot, out there to spread your pathetic, childish, rather embarrassing self induced racist # to the world that does not give a damn about racist imbeciles like your self.

You, are honestly disgusting, you have a problem man, a real problem.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Do me a favor and go play in traffic. And remember that the vehicles aren't moving as fast as it seems.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
Why does the person have to be pretty, any person missing is worthy of attention, not because of their skin colour age or gender or looks.

And to be honest your small minded head should get round that little fact right there because your going to be stuck on stupid for the rest of your life other wise.

What the hell are you talking about? The media ALWAYS comments on the appearance of the MWF. THAT'S why I used "pretty." If your appearance is the reason that bothered you, that's your problem.

You, are nothing but a racist and a small minded little man who has no perspective of anything apart from
"that colour has more attention than mine or his".

But this is my opinion.

In that case, I'm glad your brother was locked up and you were suspended. Serves you right...stinking racists.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
And what I find rather ironic about this case, the one the racist OP is obviously referring to, she was white.. went missing, hes mad she got media coverage and it turns out..........

A black man killed her.

Man, please.

This isn't the only MWF that's been in the news recently. Which was the point of the OP. Try putting thought into your post next time.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
While i agree that the news does seem to be dominated with stories of white women missing, I don't think that the people them selfs can be put to blame, Well anymore so than anyother Culture or race,

I wasn't being serious about the stupidity remark. I thought the last sentence made that clear.

You also have to look at the other factors beyond color, Missing men is higher than missing white or black women, Again not much coverage of these factors,

www.msnbc.msn.com...

theres an article on the matter from 2005

I understand what you're saying, but anyone can flip on the news and see that there's a certain demographic that always comes up missing.

By generalizing we fall in to the trap that may also cause this,

And again so many factors, you have to look at all the cards on the table i believe,

You could say that Certain classes of white women may get over looked,

i guess the real question is "how do we change this?

[edit on 24-6-2007 by asala]

Of course, poor white women aren't likely to get this coverage. But, regardless of the class of white women, it still stands that white women are the only ones who I see missing all over the news. Constantly. I LITERALLY can't remember the last time any other woman's face was all over the news because she was missing. Literally.

As for changing this, good look changing the media. I posted this in this forum to rant about it, not to seek solutions.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Oh playing with my words. Good for you.

I was only asking why you commented on a person being pretty. I dont give a flying dagger on what you think of me but i asked a simple question so don't you dare try and insult me.

And also point out where i was being racist and i will ask high autothority for their opinion.

And as for my brother you little man i will not allow you to speak ill of my family because i was only asking questions.

You have stated that you dont give a damn about Missing white women i have not ONCE said anything about not caring because of a persons colour.

Read what you write and judge yourself by your standards.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by Oni x x]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oni x x
I was only asking why you commented on a person being pretty.

Answered that, pay attention next time.

I dont give a flying dagger on what you think of me but i asked a simple question so don't you dare try and insult me.

And also point out where i was being racist and i will ask high autothority for their opinion.

I WILL insult you if you insult me. That's how I roll. Which is why I called you a racist. Like this insult here:

And as for my brother you little man i will not allow you to speak ill of my family because i was only asking questions.

You have stated that you dont give a damn about Missing white women i have not ONCE said anything about not caring because of a persons colour.

I said I was TWO MWFs from not caring. Get your facts straight.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You know what, that's quite enough.

I realize it's a contentious issue, but if it can't be discussed in a civil fashion, it can't be discussed here. Simple.

I don't think there can be much debate about this issue, honestly. The number of young white, upper-middle class women who appear on the news because they're missing is incredibly disproportionate compared to the number of young, upper-middle class white women in the country. It's a shame that the OP's tone is so caustic, because anybody who's paying attention to media trends would probably agree with him otherwise.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

“So many ... are missing women who are 60, 70, 80, who are white and black — all races,” she said. “They may be handicapped; they’re missing their medication; they’re working-class. They’re not as glamorous as other kinds of missing women. It is very disproportionate racially, but also in terms of class.”

(my emphasis)

It must be said - it's not just about race, it's about class, just as it always has been.

The disparity in coverage can be explained succinctly in two words: sex appeal. The article I linked to above is just one of many illuminating this situation. And did you catch this?

“In many, many cities going back 50, 75 years or more, journalists would refer to ‘good murders’ and ‘bad murders,’” Clark said, explaining how editors and reporters choose what police stories to cover.

“The example of a bad murder would be the murder of an African-American person from a poor neighborhood,” he said. “The definition of a good murder is a socialite killed by her jealous husband, the debutante murdered by her angry boyfriend.”

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hey, I already said this was a rant. I thought that you were supposed to be a bit agged when you post in this forum. Guess not...

It must be said - it's not just about race, it's about class, just as it always has been.

So you maintain that race and class are 2 entirely separate entities in this country? I think not.

“In many, many cities going back 50, 75 years or more, journalists would refer to ‘good murders’ and ‘bad murders,’” Clark said, explaining how editors and reporters choose what police stories to cover.

“The example of a bad murder would be the murder of an African-American person from a poor neighborhood,” he said. “The definition of a good murder is a socialite killed by her jealous husband, the debutante murdered by her angry boyfriend.”

Wow, now that was surprising. Not because they did this (THAT is blatantly obvious), but because they actually talked about it. I guess I thought it was some kind of "understood" way that they chose stories.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There's a difference between being pissed off (as I often am) and insulting your fellow members. My message was NOT directed solely at you, for what it's worth.

And yes, class and race are separate issues in fact. The powers that be would love for us to think they're not, but they are. It's just the most effective way of preserving order while they run off with all the money, to have the poor fighting amongst themselves.

I don't care if the man beside me is black, yellow, or purple - if we're in the same boat that's all there is to it. Race is a diversion from the real issue, as is religion and nationality.

That's my opinion anyway...

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
What else is it, then, if this isn't true? Are white women too stupid to avoid situations where they come up missing?

I'm sure some kidnappings can be avoided. But Jessie was taken from her house. Later her mother kept calling and didn't get her. She showed up and saw her grandson alone and Jessie gone and the house was ransacked. And her boyfriend a cop- that bothers me more then him being black.

Mommie's in the rug- thats what the little boy kept saying. Perhaps Jessie was killed in the house- Who knows..

It was tragic. Truthseeker- you should have more respect for other people no matter what the color of their skin is.

Everyone deserves to know the truth and I did notice their is a black woman missing too- I saw on the news the other day. Very brief mention of it though. Exersice your freedom of speech to CNN and other news channels and tell them to stop being biased and show all news thats going on and not just a few selected stories. That will straighten them up.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
So I guess...

This is going to be a problem...

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Oh no! Did you read that? She's decribed as being "white"

Amber is described as being white, 5'2", 145 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. She has double piercings in both ears, as well as a bellybutton piercing. She was last seen wearing blue shorts and a white tank top.
Source

Before this thread came about, I never noticed weather they were Black, White, Chinese, or whatever? They were just all women, or girls to me...color never entered my mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
One of the easy ways to find something...

Is to know what you're looking for... I would imagine the entire range of descriptors would be used in the case of any missing person. If you wish to argue the propensity for white females to get nation news media attention, I have no argument, save the inquiry into the statistical breakdown of missing persons by gender, race, age, etc and how it relates to the coverage given.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join