It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Secession

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I really didn't know where to put this..

Has anyone heard of movements for Texas secession from the United States? I don't think they're very big or influential. Here's a few links:

www.tcrf.com...
en.wikipedia.org...(group)
www.anus.com...
www.texasrepublic.com...

Despite the small small odds that this is actually successful in the end, what do all of you think of such an idea? I guess it's a two sided question because it depends on where you're from. So, Texans, for or against independence? Other Americans, would you see it as a move that would need to be crushed, politically or militarily, or would you hold no opinion on it?

I personally like the idea. Texas is my home, but I'm growing to dislike the United States more and more due to the erosion of law and order at federal levels, and the disappearing civil liberties.

I think Texas could survive as it's own nation, unless the secession turned violent (most likely initiated by the US government).

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
There is allegedly a clause in our Constitution that allows us the right to secede from the USA but I've never actually read it myself.
The real issue at hand though is;
#1 Can we thrive as an independent Country? Well when we were the Republic of Texas, we were were practically bankrupt and more or less begging the USA to annex us. We are bigger and better now so it is probably possible for us to survive now.
#2 and more importantly would the USA allow it? I seriously doubt it, regardless of what our constitution says.

I live in S. Texas and I havent heard anything about secession and although I am disillusioned with some things going on in our country I do not and would not support secession. I may dislike the current Administration but I still love my country and wouldnt run out on it.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
There is allegedly a clause in our Constitution that allows us the right to secede from the USA but I've never actually read it myself.
The real issue at hand though is;
#1 Can we thrive as an independent Country? Well when we were the Republic of Texas, we were were practically bankrupt and more or less begging the USA to annex us. We are bigger and better now so it is probably possible for us to survive now.
#2 and more importantly would the USA allow it? I seriously doubt it, regardless of what our constitution says.

I live in S. Texas and I havent heard anything about secession and although I am disillusioned with some things going on in our country I do not and would not support secession. I may dislike the current Administration but I still love my country and wouldnt run out on it.

I believe Texas can survive as an independent nation. There is 20 million people, access to oil and major ports, and a major technological infrastructure. There's clearly some big differences between now and back then.

I seriously doubt the US Government would allow it as well.

I haven't read the parts of the US and Texas Constitutions that give Texas the right to secede yet, but these people claim it's in there, so I'll be looking for that. But I think you're right, our government doesn't care about it's own Constitution, why would they care about Texas'?

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm going to chime in as I have a little knowledge about the Republic of Texas, as I played them on a game called Victoria Revolutions, which is very historical and also rather good.

(Incidentally, this ties with another Paradox game called Hearts of Iron and you can convert your 1836-1936 game of Victoria into the 1936-1957 Hearts of Iron...Anyhoo, I digress)

Apparently, the terms of annexation in the 1840's, it did allow for secession.

Another interesting point is Texas did mull becoming a Dominion of the British Empire, so to remain free from US and Mexican influences.

I actually opted for the British choice in the game, as I didn't fancy joining the States and certainly not Mexico. If I hadn't, the US and Mexico would have invaded and I only had a teeny Army.

Just to make you feel better, by 1940, my Texas was second only to Britain in terms of industrial, military and naval power. Allied with them, Nazi Germany fell in 18 months.

I might add that I also managed to acquire a huge overseas empire including Africa, as well as California, a chunk of the CONUS up to Canada and west of of Colorado, all the Pacific Islands and chunks of randomness in Asia..

My empire was second only to Britain , which helped enormously. The influx of European and Chinese immigrants helped immensely, but in about 1914, only 40% of my people considered themselves "Texan".....

[edit on 21/6/07 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I support it, I am discusted by America right now. I live in florida, but i'll move. just joined to add my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I like the idea, but I live in Texas. We'd have to get rid of the whole state congress though first. They meet every 2 years and, they are allowed to work outside of their government work so they do have big business in their interests, not the peoples. We'd also need to get rid of Rick Perry, I just don't care for him either. If Texas was to succeed as an independent nation, we would have to revamp and the state constitution or we would have the same problem the nation has.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If Texas could secede - doubtful - they could do a lot with what used to be Federal tax monies.

Seems too that a Monarchy could get a lot accomplished.
One person making decisions is a while lot better than trying to get a bunch of committees to agree on something.

Maybe after Texas leaves the union they could leave the door open for New Mexico and Arizona and take them under their wing.

They could probably take over California as well.
Sunny Cal seems to be a rather toothless state as of late, strikes me that they couldn't put up much of a fight.
They'd be too busy trying to get the libs to agree on something let alone notice all the Texans and New Texans coming over the border.

Methinks that most Californio's would welcome the Texas army....

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
haha, if texas became its seceded from the union bush would probably find a way to be in charge of it................you wouldnt like that very much.. would you?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have lived in Texas all of my life. Although the idea of secession is interesting to consider; I would feel a little lost not being considered an American anymore.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
First ... I have a bumper sticker on the side of my 'fridge. It says, "I'm not from Texas, but I got here as fast as I could".

Texas is one of my favorite places in the world.

I don't see that a secession would work in this modern day and age, even if it could be finnagled around the Federal Government. But it is a nice thought.

Interestingly, there is also a movement in the South that is supporting Southern Secession, once again. There is also a hispanic movement to have the great American SouthWest ceded back to Mexico.

It will be interesting times if any of these ever gain their stated objectives.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This issue should have been left back in 1846. Texas asked to join the union, and Texans voted for it. This is an issue that was squashed in excess of 150 years ago. Absolutely nothing positive will come to Texas nor America from this, as revolution is the only method for Texas to become its own country. (Good luck getting the current government to vote yes on losing a state.) It's kind of like being initiated into a gang: you're going to be a member for life.

The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration, or revocation, except through revolution, or through consent of the States.

Texas v White (1868)

[edit on 27-6-2007 by bluesquareapple]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
anyone think that if Texas seceeds, that current President and former Texas Gov. "W" becomes a monarch?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadows090
I support it, I am discusted by America right now. I live in florida, but i'll move. just joined to add my 2 cents

I wanted to say the same thing, but I don't really think it matters where we live anymore. But lets say Texas does get turned into its own country. Eventually, a dictatorship type gov't, like what America likes to pretend it doesn't have, will develop and turn the newly formed country of Texas into yet another land of mindless zombies that believe and do everything the media and gov't says.
Eventually, some power hungry idiot will decide that he too needs to abolish any rights that they would have originally created, and thus create USA #2.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Saturn]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i am all for texas seceding it might become usa # 2 eventualy but it wont be in my life time

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I don't know if it would work or not. We tried that a while back, but at the time, we were outnumbered about seven to one.

I hope you do, and bring Florida along with you. Too many damned Yankees moving in.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
When I woke up this morning, I was very surprised that the entire south hadn't seceeded already.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Well, it would be great, however, there are 2 issues with this so far as I can see...

If Texas can become a indepant country, US Military pulls out, leave anyone and everyone to invade from around the world.. you know.. kinda like what happened with Russia pull the curtain down.. ugh..

2nd, there be such a swell of population that it would criple the economy within weeks of it's declaration.

it's not going to happen.. US is NOT going to give it up..

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Komodo]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Go Texas!

Seems jusr about every state has considered the idea. Some quite recently.
en.wikipedia.org...

It seems that it took a lot less to piss us off back in the day. Looks like the more unjust and oppressive the things are the more likely we are to just sit back and take it. A little backwards if you ask me.

Should there be another AWB and a state or county or town with the heart to say F U to a totalitarian fed I'll move there in a split second walking with nothing but the clothes on my back if I have to.

It only took a 3% tax to get us to war with the greatest army on Earth. Look at the garbage we tolerate now.

Go Texas.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I live in deep south TX.

I am all for it. We can take care of ourselves. Ports, rails, infrastructure, refineries, military. Beef, oil, fruits, cotton, wool, corn, wheat, wood, water.

We will be just fine

Don't Mess With Texas will take on a whole new meaning.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I served in combat with a bunch of southerners, Texans included, and those boys in a fight were as rough as a cob!

Rub them the wrong way, you would do better rubbing a porcupine the wrong way.

As far as Texas being able to defend itself, I don't know if you Texas boys recall, but there were a lot of other Southerners who packed up and headed down to help you gain your independence before.

Not that you needed the help, but those other Southerners couldn't let you Texan boys have all the fun!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join