It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Secession

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Do it...please. Once Texas did it the rest would surely follow.

Matter of fact It would be fine if they reverted back to the boundaries that were in place before and during the civil war. I dont even care if they take the entire west coast and most of the midwest as well, just let us have everything south of Richmond, VA again and we will gladly leave you to it.

Look away...look away...look away Dixie Land

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
There is allegedly a clause in our Constitution that allows us the right to secede from the USA but I've never actually read it myself.

This basically has to do primarily with the 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Technically & literally, the only Powers that the People have authorized for the US Government are limited strictly to what the Constitution itself specifies & preventing State secession is not specifically listed. Whereas all other Powers are granted to the States & People, so that must also include the Right to secede from the federal government!

Leave it to the Lone Star State to stand up proud...But they won't be alone! At least Arizona & Oklahoma have also passed certain legislative measures to resist should the federal government crosses certain lines too. Although I don't know for certain, I'd feel safe in saying that quite a few other States will follow suit...After all, at least 23 States have resisted (or outright banned) the implementation of the Real ID Card.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
We might get a jump on things if we could offer to give California back to Mexico. But the deal would have to include all the Frisco goober smootchers, and they couldn't give it back.

And Massachusetts. Oh yeah - Connecti - come to think of it, I like that idea of the Civil War borders. That would be . . . perfect.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Personally I am ALL FOR IT!

I feel that the Federal government has utterly betrayed the people here. That alone, for me, is grounds for secession.

But what really ticks me off is people coming in from other states to muck up what we've tried to do here, to improve our state.

For instance Ramos and Campeon.

Or the case when individual cities have found their decisions to make it illegal to rent houses to people who can't prove citizenship illegal.

Or the recent case of outsiders trying to stay the execution of a convicted rapist.

I recognize fully that some of our policies are unpopular in other places, BUT, if people object and they don't actually live here, I don't think they have the right to try to change what happens here.

Of course at this point I don't think that it is a viable sentiment... but if a secession movement did get started, I'd be there.

(and for all of you who want to preserve the union, just remember that loosing Texas means that you don't get any more goofy presidents
)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
We might get a jump on things if we could offer to give California back to Mexico. But the deal would have to include all the Frisco goober smootchers, and they couldn't give it back.

And Massachusetts. Oh yeah - Connecti - come to think of it, I like that idea of the Civil War borders. That would be . . . perfect.

They'd never go for that, because they'd loose all the free stuff coming off of the American taxpayer dime.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

Give it another ten years or so and they wont have to give California back it will be Mexican again by majority rule.

I left CA after living there for several years and I never plan to go back. They can have it.

As for the new state borders, it would be great. We would have everything we need to be self sufficient and as such be able to run things how we see fit.

I realize it is a distant pipe dream but sometimes great events are born from hope and tragedy.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I've live all across the US and Cali is the best place in all of that I've lived in. I couldn't live in southern Cali, but northern Cali is great.

I don't know why people act like Cali is just some big huge gay hippy convention.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

its bigger then you think

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The reason folks back east tend to get these negative impressions of California is the loudmouth pinko faghags that according to television news, appear to dominate the state.

I had to go to Fort Ord for AIT training in the Army long ago, and I got a pass. I hitched a ride to Carmel and walked around. Trying to get back to base, an old man in a pick up came along, and I just knew that he'd give me a ride. I got the finger instead because I was in uniform.

I understand that northern California is beautiful, but you guys don't make much noise up there!

Maybe give Frisco and Southern California back to Mexico. But you're going to have to build one hell of a fence! You see, if it becomes Mexico once again, it will overnight become one bankrupt, ****hole, and they'll still be wanting to come to the United States.

And I'm sorry, but there are cultural dissimilarities within our borders. Those from the northeast are drastically different from us in the south. The Midwesterners are alright, I suppose, as are the Pacific northwesterners, but again, some very dissimilar beliefs, practices, and cultural tendencies.

We bust this national abortion up, and things could get real interesting.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Texas does have the option to secede from the union. The only state in the union that can do so legally. It is in the state constitution. I've never read the constitution either because it's apparently massive. It is way longer than the US constitution. Like over 1000 pages. I've often contemplated secession.

I say we secede and call ourselves The Nation of Disgruntled Americans. Invite everyone to come on down. I bet half the country would join us.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. It would take the power of an ex president or other extremely influential person to do so. Even then, you would still need to get thousands if not millions of supporters. I for one, support it. I'm sick of our broken government. It's broken and can't be fixed. So I say, start a new one.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is going out to all proud Texans who are disgusted with the direction in which our federal government is taking us.

If you are interested in joining a real movement that is absolutely serious dedicated to the freedom of Texas within the next decade via non-political means, please email me. My address is the same as my user name and is a g mail account.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Now come on now you guys can’t do that without let Alabama jump on board. Mason Dixon line is sounding pretty good right about now.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Then they won't be able to brag to anyone that they are bigger and better. it would just be Texas with no one to talk to.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My vote goes for the country of "Nevada".
We have all the vices everyone wants, except the "holy weed" and I believe the next vote on the measure will pass---25% first vote, 35% second vote. We have gold, silver, cattle, and vast areas of land now reserved by the feds that could be used by the great citizens of our new country.
We can produce everything a country needs to support it's citizens and export excess production.

The federal government controls 60,863,345 acres, or 86.1 percent of the lands of Nevada, and if these acres were allotted for privatization, we would be a very wealthy nation indeed.

I'm all for it, as most citizens of western states seem to be.

America? An idea who's time has has come and gone as most of our resources are used to finance the fallen and decadent eastern states.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There is a problem though any Native American Reserves would have to be populated, my the new masses but through negotiation that could be arranged. You also would have to look at the Feds would come up with new import export taxes that could potently cripple the economy. Alas I wouldn’t mind one bit to take my chances though.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by Ant4AU]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Texas' Constitution does allow for succession for any reason.

"Texans have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.” Texas Constitution - Article 1- Section 2

The Declaration of Independence should be sent to DC - "Whenever any form of government is destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government in such form as to them shall seem most likely to affect their safety and happiness.” Declaration of Independence, 1776

I saw this a while back and I think this is the right post for it:

We Texans love y'all, but we'll probably have to take action since B. Hussein Obama won the election. We'll miss you too.
So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

1. NASA is just south of Houston , Texas . We will control the space industry.

2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States .

3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess with Texas ," will take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. Yankee states? Sorry about that.

5. Natural Gas - again we have all we need and it's too bad about those Northern States. John Kerry will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....

6. Computer Industry - we currently lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications--small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor, Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Miconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Delphi, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Medical Care - We have the largest research centers for cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large health centers. Dallas has some of the best hospitals in the United States .

8. We have enough colleges to keep us going: University of Texas , Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Rice, SMU, University of Houston , Baylor, UNT ( University of North Texas ), Texas Women's University, etc. Ivy grows better in the South anyway.

9. We have a ready supply of workers. We could just open the border when we need some more.

10. We have essential control of the paper industry, plastics, insurance, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24 hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over Chuck Norris and a couple of Texas Rangers.

12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good. Don't need any food.

This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama:
Since you won't have the refineries to get gas for your cars, only President Obama will be able to drive around in his big 9 mpg SUV. The rest of the United States will have to walk or ride bikes.

You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off satellite communications.

You won't have any natural gas to heat your homes, but since Mr. Obama has predicted global warming, you will not need the gas as long as you survive the 2000 years it will take to get enough heat from Global Warming.
Signed, The People of Texas

P.S. This is not a threatening letter - just a note to give you something to think about!

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!!
One Nation Under God

I got a chuckle when I came across this.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
after last weeks performance against my Eagles, let them go, they are a disgrace to the NFL and to Texas.

Texas, you guys think your so great.

You could just leave America.

Well, thats an arrogant concept.

What is so great about Texas? It's just a huge piece of land.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ConservativeJack

Texas is one of, if not THE, richest states in the Union.
I think it is about time someone tells the federal government to go away. Tennessee has also had a similar movement recently. Same with Oklahoma.

I say lets get this ball rolling, Arkansas will be on board (hopefully) and we have Wal-Mart, Tysons and JB Hunt (largest transportation company in the nation)... Those are just the big three, but Arkansas is completely self-sufficient and very wealthy to boot.

Personally, I hate the University of Texas, but I have fought along side Texans before.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
There is allegedly a clause in our Constitution that allows us the right to secede from the USA but I've never actually read it myself.

This basically has to do primarily with the 10th Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Technically & literally, the only Powers that the People have authorized for the US Government are limited strictly to what the Constitution itself specifies & preventing State secession is not specifically listed. Whereas all other Powers are granted to the States & People, so that must also include the Right to secede from the federal government!

Leave it to the Lone Star State to stand up proud...But they won't be alone! At least Arizona & Oklahoma have also passed certain legislative measures to resist should the federal government crosses certain lines too. Although I don't know for certain, I'd feel safe in saying that quite a few other States will follow suit...After all, at least 23 States have resisted (or outright banned) the implementation of the Real ID Card.

That brings me to ask this Question: If a Con Con is called and the constitution is changed (Virginia in 2009), how or would that effect Texas from seceding from the union or any other states for that matter?.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
PLus after the civil war treaty they have the right to 'split' into 5 states, thats (10) senators folks! Who would get the alamo?

NOTE: Native born Texan I am.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join