It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran condemns Rushdie knighthood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Iran has criticised the British government for its decision to give a knighthood to author Salman Rushdie.

His book The Satanic Verses offended Muslims worldwide and led to Iran issuing a fatwa in 1989, ordering Sir Salman's execution.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LINK

That is just too funny to me.

The man that Iranians put a price on his head for writing a book telling the truth about Islam.

I am sure this will stick in the "craw" of Iranians/musliums in general in the ME.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Very interesting find Mrmonsoon. Considering how things are going in the UK with Islamic/UK relations (inside the country), this is a bold show of non-fear by the Brits.

Question - I thought that only the Queen could do the knighthood thing. This article says 'the British government'.

Would someone from the UK please educate me on how the knighthood thing works.

SR

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think the Government are the real players at giving out the Knighthoods. The Queen is just ceremonial as the head of state with no 'real' say and just carries out the ceremony and pomp.

I thought the Iranian's didn't care anymore anyway and took the bounty of his head? You would of thought with how 'Evil' and dastardly the Iranians are they would of taken him out especially when they're so ruthless and rogue these days especially against the British oops i forgot not to believe everything you read in the papers for a second.

[edit on 17-6-2007 by SR]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Representations are made to the PM who also takes recomendations from the cabinet.
A list is then passed to the Queen with recomendations and she makes the final decision.

Im still waiting !!

SR

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by realyweely
Representations are made to the PM who also takes recomendations from the cabinet.
A list is then passed to the Queen with recomendations and she makes the final decision.

Im still waiting !!

I wonder how much money we'd have to slip the Government to get put on the list?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The UK made him a knight?

The U.S. should give him the medal of freedom or something too!

Stick it to Iran!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
YOU could say that..........I couldnt possibly comment

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Very interesting find Mrmonsoon. Considering how things are going in the UK with Islamic/UK relations (inside the country), this is a bold show of non-fear by the Brits.

I fully agree with you.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Iran complaining about the new UK subs.

OR

Does this have to do with a responce for the kidnapping of UK personal.

I am certain Iran is no more happy about this than Uk was about the kidnapping.

I see it as a little political tit for tat.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
He is actually famous for more than being the subject of a fatwa.

His first novel, Grimus, was published in 1975 but was generally ignored by the book-buying public and literary establishment.

But his second effort - the magic realist novel Midnight's Children - catapulted him to literary fame.

It won the Booker Prize in 1981 and was awarded the Booker of Bookers in 1993 after being judged the best novel to have won the prize during its 25-year history...

Of his knighthood for services to literature, Rushdie said: "I am thrilled and humbled to receive this great honour, and am very grateful that my work has been recognised in this way."

Source.

As far as "sticking it to the Iranians" goes:

In 1998, the Iranian government said it would no longer support the fatwa

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

The man that Iranians put a price on his head for writing a book telling the truth about Islam.

Haven't read it have you?

[edit on 17/6/07 by Implosion]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

As far as "sticking it to the Iranians" goes:

In 1998, the Iranian government said it would no longer support the fatwa

My responve comes directly form an Iranian newspaper, here is a link to the post in abovePolitics

Basicly it says 150,000 is offered for his death

LINK

[edit on 6/17/2007 by mrmonsoon]

new topics

top topics

join