It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The XM3 Sniper Rifle.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You can have a $20k custom rifle with EVERY bell and whistle, made of the highest grade metals and plastics known to the human race....You can also have a $300 wal-mart 700 winchester mag and if the shooter doesn't understand the ART of shooting at a distance...they are both worthless rifles.

Argue the quality of the rifle ALL day long...but the quality of the trigger finger is the FINAL factor in hitting what you aim at.

Grandpa's gun safe has just as many lethal toos in it as any Marine Corps Armory....I have never seen a man walk away from a well placed round of ANY caliber!

[edit on 2/24/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sweet looking rifle.
I would love one, although the price is way to high for most civilians.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xm3user
N

Roper, sorry if I hurt your delicate feelings.

No, you didn't hurt my feelings. Now if you were someone that I respected it may have. I was just making fun of you, that's all.

You have a nice day, ya hear.

Roper

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
To RCWJ75: I'm not sure where to start. Although your post offered nothing of interest, atleast you presented it with confidence. Normally a shooter needs a core understanding of basic fundamentals, like position, breathing, trigger squeeze, sight alignment, sight picture, understanding and calling wind, reading mirage, and bullet TOT(flight time), but yeah....I guess your trigger finger does all the work.....but you dont really need to know all the important stuff when you only play video games. These SWS's are usually issued to better teams, and not general issue for anyone to draw from the arms room, so whoever gets these guns already knows how to use them.

To Roper: Please understand the lack of respect is mutual.

To Northwolf: I guess the biggest benefit of this SWS is due to its size and weight. If it performs better in a smaller, lighter package, both in daylight and night, then that leaves more room for the team to pack more batteries, bullets, and beans, and stay in a hide longer with less support, enhancing mission success. Also, with its smaller size, and with a few variants that "break" down, they can be stowed into packs so the teams don't alert everyone in the area that are snipers. They can move into a village or area with an infantry element, and break away, assemble the guns, and provide support.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was under the impression that this device wasn't any more modular or smaller in dimensions and weight than it's contemporaries?

Maybe I'm wrong, but next to, I don't know, say an L96A2, would those benefits hold true?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Shattered: I don't know enough about the L96A2 to comment. What does it have for Night Vision, sound suppression, optics, stock, bedding, rifling, and muzzle brake? What is a typical bullet weight for the Brits in .338?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

As for my credentials, it really doesn't matter, because I could say anything about myself and you couldn't disprove it....

I figured since your nothing more then a punk by the way you speak to the other guys over the computer I would challenge you on this. You know what sucks XM3...is sometimes someone does come along who CAN disprove it...so please U2U me your reentry code from your DD214, and I will put to rest your "qualifications"! It won't go past my inbox...and I will simply post on this thread that you are a GO or NO GO in the qualifications department. I mean you'll still be an A------, but hey, atleast you won't be a REMF yourself.

To RCWJ75: I'm not sure where to start. Although your post offered nothing of interest, atleast you presented it with confidence.

It wasn't meant to. The guys who were chatting on here are probably just average shooters or gun lovers who gave their two cents...and just debated a new weapon and its price. Speaking to each other with the knowledge they know. And some of them may be good shots, you nor I know. Then comes you, strutting in like your Hathcock. Spitting out metal make up, bullet weights, grains, W&E, etc...frankly, I don't care if you know that weapon down to its molecular structure...doesn't make you a good shot or shooter period. Thats my point!

Normally a shooter needs a core understanding of basic fundamentals, like position, breathing, trigger squeeze, sight alignment, sight picture, understanding and calling wind, reading mirage, and bullet TOT(flight time), but yeah....I guess your trigger finger does all the work.....but you dont really need to know all the important stuff when you only play video games.

My responce to that first part about the basics of shooting...NO ----!!! 12 year olds who go through a hunters safety course get the fundamentals. Don't need the military or a $20k rifle to learn them. And definitly don't need some clown who talks like he's reading out of the rifles product guide to teach the basics.

Now with that said, the second part of your responce. My wording about the trigger finger is called an innuendo. Unfortuantly your so full of yourself you overlooked that. And took it literally...to bad for you. And with taking it serious you throw in the best jab ever...Video Games...good one. Now I do like to get my USSOCOM and a little HALO in now and then.
So as hard as you tried to be a prick, it actually worked out...

Finally...you may have more of the technical lingo down, and you may know more intricate details then ANYONE in here or on the planet...but as I stated before and have SEEN with my own two eyes.....talk does not equal results.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Readers: Please disregard this post, but please hit me back if you have any questions about this rifle.....I will try to reply if I still have an account.....

rcwj75: Although I make a general point to provide confidential information over the internet to undisclosed persons, I think I will have to pass just this once. However, your offer did sound tempting as I find it necessary to be liked by all. I hope you can feel the sarcasm.

Do me a favor a label me a “No Go” as your opinion of me matters little. However, I was not the person shooting my ignorant mouth off about my “grandpappy’s gun safe” and my trigger finger. Your self proclaimed job position, which I’m sure is a stunning post on recruiters assistance hoping to pick up E-3 or some other crappy job that entitles you access to OMPF’s doesn’t inspire me to debate with you. Rest assured, your awesome ability to use selective quotes to sound important will almost certainly guarantee you a job as a writer for CNN later in life. This site is “Above Top Secret” which implies to me that some readers want to know about the rifles composition or build technique and not what it sells for, but since you, and many of the other readers failed basic reading comprehension in grade school, I will break it down for you. The rifle package sells for close to $20,000. If you subtract the UNS ($10,000), suppressor ($1,500), scope ($2,000), and accessory gear ($1,500), then the rifle sells for about $5,000. Also, these monies did not come out of any one branches budget, but out of the DARPA budget. I hope this clarifies everything for you. Again, if you don’t fully understand what I have written, I will U2U your account and use smaller words.

Now, I originally signed on to dispute the crap everyone was talking about the company that builds this rifle and provide readers with data about it. I was stunned to see the general ignorance of the readers so I commented back, sometimes pointedly, and now this has evolved into a personal attack, which I can handle, but don’t ever make it seem as though I compared myself to Carlos Hathcock in any way, and don’t imply that he “strutted” around. Also, don’t call him “Hathcock” like you knew him.

(Snip

Mod edit: Inappropriate text removed

[edit on 30-3-2008 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
you poor thing...your challanged and lose all your cool...but yet do this after challenging others on this thread, calling them names and acting like you were apointed by GOD himself to have the KNOWALL about this weapon and shooting period. Guys came on here to learn about the weapon, not be called fools by a fool and to be belittled because they aren't as "special" as you.

This proves to me who you are. I true professional would of come into this thread and HELPED guys trying to learn more. A true prodessional wouldn't degrade people he knew weren't "shooters" or "operators" he instead would of given the information and let others do with it what they will. As I stated before reading all your posts and how you spoke to others is all I needed to see about who you are, hence why i challnged your credentials....the fact you obviously took offense to it...helps solidify my point about you.

Yeah you may have helped guys figure out the price of a new weapon on the market, but when you act like your superior to their intelligance do you really think anyone cares? I understood what you were writing, and i understand WHY the weapon costs so much...thats the easy part. But again, its irrelevant when you say the things you do to others on this thread asking honest simple questions.

And since you mentioned grandpa's gunlocker...lol....and the trigger finger...any shooter can tell you, as I have said MANY MANY times...a $20,000 rifle vs a $400 rifle accomplish the same goal depending on who's pulling the trigger.

Finally...candy--- huh...and no, no high opinion of myself....I wasn't the one treating others like they were stupid to what was being discussed. Oh and yes, I do support a special orginization....just 1 or 2 that I am proud of...so if that was suppossed to be a cheap shot...not really, I'm glad to be accepted into their brotherhood...thank you though!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
To PaddyInf and Northwolf: I was browsing and noticed IBA now produces an XM-7 in .338 Lapua. I guess they used the .308 platform as a stepping off point to experiment with the bigger stuff. Thought you might find that interesting.....

To rcwj75: You make alot of assumptions and seem to take alot at face value. I might be an ass****, but if you read the posts.....you have people who contribute to this thread....like "police sniper, alpha 32, north wolf, and paddyinf" and me. we might not agree, but we CONTRIBUTE, with knowledge of our own. We don't shoot down people who post legitimate questions although I usually call out the posers. I think that is why your feelings are so badly hurt, because I called you out. You keep pushing this $400 rifle of yours, and again your grandpappies gunsafe, but you contribute NOTHING to this thread. Now you wanna come off like you're some secret squirrel who supports 1 or 2 special organizations......but doing the SGLI paperwork for some SF guy doesn't make you SF....as much as you think it does...it really doesn't. We can play this game all day long, but if you really try to post something more than just "xm-3 user is an unprofessional ass****" and the "my gun is better because it is cheaper" crap, then we might just have an interesting debate, although this thread is growing tiresome. By the way, this thread is about the XM-3 SWS.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
rcwj75_ Again, cute picture, I think it's nice that you post a pic of your boyfriend....that shows commitment.......I wish you both the best

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
love the way the US military burns money, it is because i don't particularly like what the US military stands for right now. Your next version of sniper rifles will probably have a bit more varnish added and cost $40K. Please keep going, bankruptcy is the right direction for u.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xm3user

Why not go with Tactical Operations Tango 51? All that you would need to add to the rifle is the front rail for the UNS and the rifle only costs $3400 and comes with a .25 MOA guarantee. The rifle is also quite light and comes with an 18 inch barrel, which would make it highly mobile in the field and in tight spaces.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok 20k that isnt the Price the Rifle is about 5 Grand fully loaded not 20k
I know I do the ordering

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok 20k that isnt the Price the Rifle is about 5 Grand fully loaded not 20k
I know I do the ordering

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

The shop and staff that turn out this rifle are less than substandard. Personal experience with this SWS is that around 750-800 yards, it runs out of gas. The testing that we did with this rifle was with 175 grain Black Hills. It was barely sub minute at 100 yards, and not capable past 800 at all. Thourough attempts were made, yet no impact/no idea was the call from the butts, over and over.

However, a 26" barreled rifle from another shop that had in excess of 7500 rounds on it repeatedly shot sub-minute out to a thousand. AND didnt cost 20K.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Doesn't even look that nice, or powerful.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well this is a subject i'd love some info on XM3user, if you don't mind.
and just for the other readers could you try to explain in
Laymans Terms please.
Some of the Technical Lingo also baffles me as I'm not up to date
with all the latest info in ballistics etc.. although my Metallurgy and Chemistry is pretty good.

I feel for you on this thread...
too many users have posted nothing of significance to this topic at all.
and continually TRY to "shoot" you down... it's quite funny.

and a range of 1240 (i think that's what you put) is more than enough for
the compacted build of this rifle. i think the ease of transport and the reduced
weight (however small) is something that Recon Snipers the World over need
and it more than makes up for the price-tag of the Base Unit itself ~$5000

and the Kit added to push the price up so high.. although very expensive,
is extremely well chosen for the Rifles use. So that added cost is negated by the increased effectiveness then given by the End User (The Sniper) as it certainly
seems to provide a much more user friendly piece of kit.

Also wanna give my thanks to the others that have "contributed" here
the points you brought up gave me plenty to think about and caused me
to do some well overdue "reading up" on the Rifles.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join