It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Announcement: Civility & Decorum are Expected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Recent activities within the "9/11 Conspiracies" forum have been the catalyst for an increasing trend of tonality and civility issues across many portions of AboveTopSecret.com.

For those who are unaware (or don't care), the entire field of "9/11 conspiracies" is undergoing troubling turmoil as "9/11 Truth" groups have devolved into dozens of dissociated "factions" each with their own belief system. These factions are embroiled in an escalating war of incendiary rhetoric, increasingly preposterous theories, and contemptuous accusations in a disastrous competition for attention. The disappointing result is the increasingly diminished credibility for all "9/11 conspiracy" speculation. ATS will have no part of this counterproductive nonsense, and we have had to ban those who seek to involve us.

But these issues of uncivil discussion and discourteous responses by those who disagree with 9/11 conspiracies or 9/11 conspiracy skeptics has been an escalating problem in the 9/11 Conspiracies forum for some time. And we've had our share of similar issues in the Aliens and UFO forum. However, lately, the acidic style of the "9/11 Topic Activists" has infected several other areas of ATS like a malicious virus. This must stop.

Other discussion board environment claim to thrive on a rowdy environment of a juvenile free-for-all, and those with experience in such environments seem unable to understand our desire for cordial dialogue. Too bad. Since instituting such requirements, we've sky-rocketed in popularity to become one of the Internet's top-20 most-trafficked discussion boards (with peaks in the top-10). Clearly this strategy works, and more than any single topic, we feel this is the most important aspect of serving our current and future members.

Manners Are Required, Not Requested

We anticipate our members are here because of what ATS stands for and what makes us different. We stand firm on an aspirational ideal of supporting the free expression of nearly anything within the simple confines of polite decorum.

(1) We ATS members need to embrace and welcome those with highly speculative theories that may be based on little more than guesses. These are the ideas that help maintain the upper limits of what may be.

(2) We ATS members need to support the investigation of fantastic ideas based on evidentiary observations across the entire spectrum of our topics. These are the discussions that zero-in on what is likely to be.

(3) We ATS members need to encourage and welcome critical and skeptical questions that force us to look closely at our ideas and evidence. This is the process by which truth is discovered and we agree upon what is.

We ATS members need to realize all of three aspects of discussion are important to our motto of "Deny Ignorance." If you believe your theory, idea, or skepticism is critical to the discussion, than you owe it to yourself and the topic to present your ideas with the inherent credibility of deferential collaboration.

If you cannot participate under these amazingly simple guidelines, then we must assume you are more interested in the entertainment value of disruption and appropriate action will be taken. Simple.

We apologize that this reminded of our core ideology is required. Expect that this is a wake-up call that a renewed enforcement of civility will start now.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Its sad that people who supposedly care about your country resourt to this type of behaviour. I can't believe or put trust in anyone who doesn't show respect for people or myself. I feel like I should say I did at one point care and try to educate myself on the 9/11 info and ideas but after countless attacks and the treatment of others I respect I couldn't care anymore. Thanks Skeptic for trying to reel in the problem people and I wish you the best of luck and a thick skin.

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
...the entire field of "9/11 conspiracies" is undergoing troubling turmoil as "9/11 Truth" groups have devolved into dozens of dissociated "factions" each with their own belief system.

Sounds a little like religion, doesn't it.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I can't remember the last time I posted in that forum.

There was a conspiracy on that day, of that I have no doubt, the how and why is irrelevant and certainly not worth bickering over. Our world has been taken over by evil, and fixing it is what we really should be discussing.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I personally don't write on those forums or any of political conspiracies ( I had my fear share in the past ...not on these forum ) and these is the second U2U to members... so I feel need to say something - we must be very, very careful not to cross these fine and delicate line of abusing something extremely endangered those days ( all of these political correctness), and that being - free speech.

[edit on 14-6-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Disappointing that we here at ATS should need such a reminder. I have always been of the belief that disrespect of other is one of the lowest points of ignorance. As a community, we should be better then this. 9/11 is one of the most sensitive topics we have because of the Thousands of innocent lives it has touched and the loss it brought to our world. I would have expected our members to tread lightly on this issue because they felt they owed the innocent victims of tragedy, many of whom where children, that much dignity and respect.

When we can't be civil and respectful with something like this, what have we become?

Tim

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I haven't posted on that topic in over a year. It's got so out of hand. I was very pleased to see the powers that be step in. Maybe, though I have my doubts, it'll calm down and some of the legitamate questions can now be discussed, rather than outlandish theories bandied back and forth, each one more hysterical than the next...here's hoping anyway...

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
"Free Speech" And Why This Is Important

The issue of "free speech" comes up time and again on ATS, and invariably in the context of a gross misunderstanding of what ATS is.

Usually "free speech" is cited as an excuse for violating the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use -- fruitlessly, I might add.

ATS is not a free-fire zone or a mud pit. It is a carefully moderated discussion forum where all opinions are welcome provided they are expressed in accordance with the house rules.

These are the house rules.

To the extent members respect the rights of other members to express themselves and keep their promises to honor the house rules, they can post pretty much anything they want.

On the other hand, asserting "free speech" while trampling on the rights of others to express themselves isn't freedom, it's a selfish lie, a sham and a fast track for the door.

The bottom line: we're not falling for it and we're doing something about it right here, right now.

As always, I think it's important to point out that ultimatums like these (and I hate ultimatums) are irrelevant to the vast majority of our members who "get it" and enjoy the many benefits of being able to candidly express their opinions here every day.

For you, this is just another roadside attraction on the Information Superhighway.

For those who insist on trying to shut down intelligent discussion with blatant troll tactics -- and you know who you are -- it's the end of the road.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Fascinating to see how one conspiracy has sprouted all kind of different sub conspiracies.

Is like everything, one good thing has to be bastardized for personal agendas.

I stick with the original one at least it was well thought and developed and I rather stay away from the science fiction ones.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Well said Majic.

At the heart of 'free speech' is simply the laudable desire to express ideas freely. A curse-ridden tirade or a one sentence insult is no more an idea than an M&M returned from exile beneath the couch cushions is a meal.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Back in the says when I used to host Parascope Chats on AOL we had the same problems regarding what people percieved to be "free speech" - and no matter how much we painstakingly explained to them that they were in a chat room hosted by a private company and by the very fact that they were there they had agreed to the T&C's we never seemed to get the message across.

That having been said there are times when even the most even headed of us can loose it, and the best medicine in that case is just to walk away for a while, formulate a response in more calculated and civil manner in order to make a point and then come back and type it. The single worst thing that anyone can do is start typing with flames blowing out of their nostrils and smoke pouring out of their ears.

Having said that, the wall next to my PC has several head sized dents in it

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I just wanted to throw in my feelings on this.

I'm beginning to get the impression that there's a deliberate effort to turn people against any notions of a conspiracy involved in 9/11. I get this feeling based on the marked rise in threads, not only here, but on other forums as well, that act to divide the people into squabbling groups that do nothing but bicker. This leads to disinterest, and in the end, a complete withdrawal from the debate altogether. It's my belief that the people starting these types of threads are doing this intentionally, with the sole intent to keep the truth from reaching the masses.

It may be possible that we've gotten too close to the truth, and those who are really responsible for these horrible acts are trying to kill the search from the inside out.

What do we do about it though? Just what we're doing. We separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm glad you guys have done what you've done, and I think we should commend your efforts. Keep it up. Like you've said time and time again, it's all about denying ignorance. It's been analyzed, reanalyzed, and completely denied. It's what we do here.

Again, good work!!

For Truth,
TheBorg

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Sounds a little like religion, doesn't it.

Sure does, it seems almost cult like to me, which is one of the reasons I've stayed away from the 9/11 conspiracy forums. But it's good to see that something was done about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Remember tho people who post on here or read this post..

Not everyone is involved with 9/11 truth. Like myself I own a site and most of the stuff we have on there is free thinking stuff. We don't try and sway you to this way or that way. But if we do notice a weird theory..... Space Beams, then we will make note of it on our forum.. But other than that we try to stick wit things that are easy to try and explain... But even that gets tainted with something else...

But remember some people are typical people who like to play video games, have a family, and do normal stuff.. We would like to find out what happened as much as the next guy. But I do not agree with slamming ones idea down someones throat and have them accept it.. It is wrong...

Altho I have been staying clear of the 9/11 forums on here because of such things.. plus the invention of new weird and off theories coming out...

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by SkepticOverlord1) We ATS members need to embrace and welcome those with highly speculative theories that may be based on little more than guesses. These are the ideas that help maintain the upper limits of what may be.

I dont know about the rest of you but i think this is a really important statement.
As this site has grown it seems to me that many topics have been covered, as new members arrive these topics are sometimes revived, we should not denigrate those members for raising these topics again.
Sure it's difficult to go over the same old ground some times, but do you remember how exciting some of these topics were the first time you came across them, lets allow the newer members to ATS the same opportunity to enjoy these subjects that we did.
This does not just relate to the 9/11 forums.
No matter what you believe, where would we be without those who have imagination, flair and just a little idiosyncrasy.
Still drawing stick figures in caves probably.

Rock on ATS.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Sure it's difficult to go over the same old ground some times, but do you remember how exciting some of these topics were the first time you came across them, lets allow the newer members to ATS the same opportunity to enjoy these subjects that we did.

Not to mention the fact that re-sparking an old thread may bring some life back to it and the forum in which it resides. Yup, it's all about discovery when we first come here. That's what I loved about this place when I first got here, and it's the same way now. I'm still discovering things here, almost 4 years after having joined. It's called learning. I think coming here is some of the most productive time out of my day that I spend.

Again, as always, these are just my opinions.

For Truth,
TheBorg

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Truer words have never been spoken TheBorg.
Question everything and believe nothing, discover your own truth and trust your instincts.
Allow others to do the same even if their truth and their instincts are different to your own.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Although I don't visit the 911 forum, I'm glad to see this topic of civility raised. I tried to start a thread a few weeks ago about the increasingly violent outbursts I see posted for the simplest things. (An hour of well-thought out, eloquent rant disappeared into the twilight zone). One guy said spammers should be put in a wood chipper. Little extreme of a punishment for any offense but for spamming? Some of the religious forums are suggesting a revival of "burning at the stake", beheading, etc. We have enough "biting and devouring one another" on the nightly news (and some of us on our jobs) without resorting to it here on what should be a relaxing or, at most, stimulating intellectual discussion board. If I want poo-flinging, I can watch that classless talk show where trashy people beat up their relatives. I appreciate that the PTB are taking matters firmly in hand to bring ATS back to the type of site that attracted me to it a year ago. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What is really a shame is that thousands of people lost their lives on that day in a horrific way. After 100's of thousands of people died as a secondary response. A lot of financial interest was changed or lost. Yet we see uncivil behavior over the whats truth. (IMO) I have no problem with people questioning authority or speaking out about beliefs. 90% of what's posted there I see as Hog Wash but not inappropriate, it's someone else's opinion. I left the 911 boards because of the excess number of different views and the bickering over them. I don't think it needs any drastic action but maybe some governing or split into subgroups. This would reflect on other topics as well.

Closing rant, UFOs are one thing to have a thousand views on but a tragedy is a whole different situation when so many lives are involved.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Oh come off it, removing every post the guy made is insane.

How can we make up our own minds about this if you won't let us see the evidence?

It will make people question what ATS has to hide

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join