It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Mr. Wizard', Don Herbert Dies at 89

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Like a lot of folks my age, I thought Mr. Wizard was about the best show on television. He fascinated a generation of kids without video and audio special effects, shaky-cams, way out camera angles, or outrageous cotumes.

Just a set, some science, and his incredibly easy-going style.

It's funny. I was trying to tell someone about my cool dentist the other day and compared going to his office like going to see Mr. Wizard. I don't think the person I was talking to had any idea whom I was talking about.

Don Herbert, who as television's "Mr. Wizard" introduced generations of young viewers to the joys of science, died Tuesday. He was 89. Herbert, who had bone cancer, died at his suburban Bell Canyon home, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

"He really taught kids how to use the thinking skills of a scientist," said former colleague Steve Jacobs. He worked with Herbert on a 1980s show that echoed the original 1950s "Watch Mr. Wizard" series, which became a fond baby boomer memory.

In "Watch Mr. Wizard," which was produced from 1951 to 1964 and received a Peabody Award in 1954, Herbert turned TV into an entertaining classroom. On a simple, workshop-like set, he demonstrated experiments using household items.

abcnews.go.com

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.mrwizardstudios.com...

[edit on 2007/6/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I used to watch his show in reruns. I loved it.
One of my favorite shows.
Heck, I even watched the refreshed version of the show in the 80's as an adult.

A big thank you to Don (Mr. Wizard) Herbert!
TV for the brain. We need more like him.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'd say "How sad" but he had a good, long life. Mr. Wizard, Captain Kangaroo and Soupy Sales were my faves growing up.

A lot of great tv times, with Mr. Wizard. God bless him.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
awwww man he is the one who made me realise science is the bomb and turned my into a pyromaniac.

I for one shall miss your Mr. Wizard,

love,

Lys

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Mr. Wizard' Honored by U.S. House of Representatives

This was a nice gesture by the House. Of course, it's a little late for Mr. Wizard, but it affirms the influence Don Herbert had on a generation of kids and is a fitting tribute for his family.

The U.S. House of Representatives honored Don Herbert, better known as "Mr. Wizard," in a resolution passed on the House floor Monday.

Rep. Vernon Ehlers, R-Mich., co-sponsored the resolution to honor Herbert, who died of cancer at the age of 89 last week.

From 1951 to 1964, Herbert made science fun for baby boomers by demonstrating simple experiments, such as using a bucket and water to demonstrate centripetal force, on television. He did the same for a new generation in the 1980s on cable television's Nickelodeon channel.

abcnews.go.com

[edit on 2007/6/19 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join