It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange lights on the Moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
On the 8 of June , i woke up at 4.30 am and start filming the sky , suddenly i noticed one strange pulsating light over ( ? ) the moon , when i captured the video on my computer i noticed a second light down.
Does anyone have any clue on what these lights could be?
( I have 12 minutes of it , i can upload the video on reapidshare if some of you is interested )

width="425" height="350"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/hDx9kY31ev4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

NOTE : if you want to see the lights better you must increase the brightness.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here is the correct link:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 13-6-2007 by Jabbah]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Those are just craters where the sun is shining with atmosphere distortion. The moon is best viewed this way, when it is not full. It allows one to see the craters and their depth. Too bad, the video is not very clear.

I took this one below a few months back with a 80mm short tube telescope and a webcam CCD. You can basically see the same thing. Where the craters are lit up, they look light lights. My tripod leaves alot to be desired.

External Link to ifilms

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The lights are in the dark part of the moon .

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
First of all.
thank you for actually supplying the video content to go with your question.
That took some effort, and it's appreciated.

Secondly. Would you mind telling us approximately when, in the video, the anomalies can be seen. Just let us know which points we can see them the best.

Thanks..I'll check it out again, when I get to my faster 'puter!

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Cool video! But sorry I dont see anything resembling the light in the OP clip.

Originally posted by Stockburn
Those are just craters where the sun is shining with atmosphere distortion. The moon is best viewed this way, when it is not full. It allows one to see the craters and their depth. Too bad, the video is not very clear.

I took this one below a few months back with a 80mm short tube telescope and a webcam CCD. You can basically see the same thing. Where the craters are lit up, they look light lights. My tripod leaves alot to be desired.

External Link to ifilms

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
On the upper part of the moon , in the dark area , try to look at 0:12 to 0:31 and 1:07 to 1:50.
Try to see it on you tube link in full screen , and if you can , download it and see it with windows media player , increasing the brightness.
I have 13 min. ca. and on my screen ( videocamera or tv) the light is very visible.
I'm going to upload other parts of it .

I'm uploading right now another part on rapidshare , so you can see it better.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jabbah
On the upper part of the moon , in the dark area , try to look at 0:12 to 0:31 and 1:07 to 1:50.
Try to see it on you tube link in full screen , and if you can , download it and see it with windows media player , increasing the brightness.
I have 13 min. ca. and on my screen ( videocamera or tv) the light is very visible.
I'm going to upload other parts of it .

I'm uploading right now another part on rapidshare , so you can see it better.

Thanks for uploading the video.

I think you're seeing a crater. If you look at this pic (a still-frame from your video), you can make out the circular rim of the crater. Light is illuminating the far rim which is in the dark part of the moon. The rim of the crater is probably far higher than the surrounding terrain, which would explain why it's lit up on the surrounding moonscape isn't.

Link to a still frame of your video

If you notice, there's a very circular look to the area to the left of the strange light and a shadow cast by the oppsite rim of the crater. You can see the bowl shape of the crater more plainly in the video.

The twinking effect is probably due to viewing the moon through the atmosphere.

A good way of proving or disproving the crater theory is to see if the light you video taped matches up with any known craters.

Link to a crater map of the moon

I think the light you're seeing is the Marian Crater or a surrounding one:

Info on that area of the moon

Of course, I could be wrong, but this seems like a fairly plausible considering the shape of the light, the surrounding terrain and the proximity to the illuminated part of the moon.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I see the anomaly you are talking about. It looks to me like the sun striking something metalic and spinning. It definitely does seem to fluctuate in brightness, unlike any other visible part of the terminus. Can anybody identify that area of the moon? Which crater is the one which this light seems to be the edge of, if it didn't flash?

There are other examples of unexplained bright spots on the moon, but I have never seen one pertaining to a flashing light. Most seem to be bright spots that last seconds or minutes before fading, suggesting the possibility of impacts, but I cannot see how impacts could explain your video - any impacts (and it would have to be a series of impacts) could only have come from objects originating on Earth, surely. Are the Russians, Chinese or Americans shooting at the moon?

Very interesting vid, even if it is somewhat disorientating.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thank you very much for your explanations , i really appreciated it , try to download another part of the video here rapidshare.com...
Look it with brightness and contrast increased , like i said i have more of it , maybe i can find better views.
Thanks again

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
I see the anomaly you are talking about. It looks to me like the sun striking something metalic and spinning. It definitely does seem to fluctuate in brightness, unlike any other visible part of the terminus. Can anybody identify that area of the moon? Which crater is the one which this light seems to be the edge of, if it didn't flash?

I believe the change in brightness is strictly because of the poor atmosphere seeing and lack of focus when the sun strikes the higher area of the crater, and the lower side of the crater remaining dark. This gives the viewer a false image of what looks to be a flashing light. I see it all the time when viewing the area that is illuminated where it crosses into non illuminated area with my telescopes in poor seeing conditions.

If someone wishes to determine the exact crater. Download virtual moon atlas. Its free, and works quite well. Find it External link to Virtual moon atlas

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla

There are other examples of unexplained bright spots on the moon, but I have never seen one pertaining to a flashing light. Most seem to be bright spots that last seconds or minutes before fading, suggesting the possibility of impacts, but I cannot see how impacts could explain your video - any impacts (and it would have to be a series of impacts) could only have come from objects originating on Earth, surely. Are the Russians, Chinese or Americans shooting at the moon?

Very interesting vid, even if it is somewhat disorientating.

The flashing light could be explained by atmospheric distortion. I've seen the same kind of flashing when looking at the moon and stars through a telescope and binoculars. To me, it doesn't look metallic or look as if it's spinning.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There is a methane vent on the industrial estate where I used to work, and from the building I was in, a floodlight used to catch it at night. The flashing was very similar as only the flash was visible from a distance, not the vent.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The big crater in the middle looks like Copernicus and the bright spot would then be in the region near Mare Imbrium likely Sampson. It is very hard to guess what it could be though, very blurred and no idea what height it is.

[edit on 13/6/2007 by Cygnific]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here's another part (please wait " a few minutes for the video to process"...) :

rapidshare links : rapidshare.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Cool Video of the moon man! not to over contrasted!

yeah the Pulsaiting light is as someone else menstioned, a creator in half light being Heavily distorted by the earths turbulant Atmosphere causing it to wobble and flicker.

Very nice though!

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Transient Lunar Phenomenon (TLP) is a fairly well-known, but not well understood thing that quite a few people are studying. Here's a link where you might be able to find out more about it:

www.ltpresearch.org...

and also here:

www.geocities.com...

[edit on 13-6-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've spent hours with my 8-inch telly looking at the terminator. It's true that crater rims and mountain tops peak out of the dark side of the terminator. But unlike others here, I've never noticed the twinkling effect I see in this video. Could be the atmospheric conditions here aren't often conducive to it, I don't know.

Jabbah, if you're going to take more videos like this, a good tripod that allows for smooth tracking would be nice.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks 4 your kind replies

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join