It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19th-century weapon found in whale

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
A whale caught last month had a weapon fragment embedded in its neck from more than a century ago. An arrow-shaped projectile that has given researchers insight into the whale's age, estimated between 115 and 130 years old.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
That sickens me

Still whale hunting today

I hate people that kill animals when there is no need

The way we treat the earth and the enviorment and the animals is disgracefull

This majestic creature of great age....shot for what??????

[edit on 13-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Originally posted by junglelord:

That sickens me

Still whale hunting today

The way we treat the earth and the enviorment and the animals is disgracefull

This majestic creature of great age....shot for what??????

I agree, I was thinking the same thing. What does this say about humanity? Over a century later and we have not changed. Good point JL

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand what the relation to Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts is...?

I suppose the fact that the whale is more than 100 years old is really astounding...

What's YOUR take on it Bigfoothunter?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hi Gemwolf. I think the whales age is astounding, but I think there is a lesson here. This amazing creature has lived so, so long, and serves a purpose: showing us how 'blood thirsty' for lack of a better word humanity really is. Our ancestors tried to kill this magnificent creature so long ago, and it miraculously escaped and survived despite it's wounds. Now, we get the opportunity to again show how horrible we are by bringing it's untimely death. Maybe I am reading too far into this. It is kind of a bummer though.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
I'm not sure I understand what the relation to Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts is...?

I suppose the fact that the whale is more than 100 years old is really astounding...

What's YOUR take on it Bigfoothunter?

Are there any other mammals that have a life span that exceed 130 years? I really can't think of any off the top of my head. I think the fact that there are marine mammals that quite possibly could live for 200 years, could add some insight to some crytids species. Maybe some of usual suspects of lake monster are some animal that has a really long life span. That they are the same exact animal that people have been seeing for generations. That there really isn't a breeding population, but just one or two individuals that got stuck somewhere. I just think that if a whale could live so long, maybe some of the unkown creatures have similiar life spans.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
OFF TOPIC

Originally posted by testrat
Are there any other mammals that have a life span that exceed 130 years? I really can't think of any off the top of my head.

How about Man? This man turned 138 just last month.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by Gear]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here's a site that lists the life span of a lot of animals. Turkey buzzards & swans surprised me a bit although I think I read somewhere that condors live a long time. Turtles seem to take the prize and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they lived a lot longer than listed. Metabolism plays a big part in it and some say that a hummingbird that lives maybe three years had the same number of heartbeats as the whale that lived 120 years.
As far as whaling goes, one thing that bugs me about it is Native Americans stating it's their heritage so,they should be permitted to practice it. I say that if it's heritage they are seeking, they should hunt them in a boat they made out of traditional materials in a traditional way with traditional weapons fashioned in the same manner. Going out in a Zodiac with a 150hp merc on the back and shooting a whale with a gun chambered for .50 bmg doesn't seem very traditional to me. I say leave them alone and go buy a Big Mac if you're hungry for blubber.

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
OFF TOPIC

How about Man? This man turned 138 just last month.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by Gear]

Just a anomaly. Populations don't live that long.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ok wat was a 19th cenchery wepon doinf in a whales neck

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
How ironic....

Avoided humanity for over 100 years, escaped at least once, but ultimately, we got him...

Yet we learn something from the process. Ie; Whales live a rather long time...

I suppose there this lends credence to the term "hunting for scientific research".

Not bad for tens of thousands of whales to die in order to learn they are long lived.

One of the problems with long lived animals is that they take a long time to reach sexual maturity. If we hunt all the breeding adults, the populations may take a very long time to recover, if at all. We have seen this in Sea Turtles. Factor in that some species of whale can be pregnant for up to 3 YEARS and we may have had a much larger impact on the populations than we think.

Hopefully something good may come of this Old Timer's untimely death...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Not even gonna comment

welcome to ATS

Oh byrd

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBaldEagle
ok wat was a 19th cenchery wepon doinf in a whales neck

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it might have something to do with a 19th century hunter throwing it at the whale....

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My friend is studying marine biology and he says that we truly don't know the lifespan of many aquatic animals because when we have them in captivity, they aren't in their natural habitats and it's hard to jugde wether or not being in captivity affects their lifespan.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglelord

Tell me junglelord. Are you a Vegan, do not eat any meat/dairy/fish products? Do not wear or have any leather accessories of any kind? If so, I applaud you for your beliefs, but to state that you hate people that kill animals is a little extreme do you not think? I enjoy a good steak or nice juicy lobster. I love my leather jacket.

It's called survival of the fittest. do you cringe every time an animal kills another animal for food? We, as humans, are animals too...we are carnivorous by nature.

Now I want a bbq'd steak!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
From the link in OP.

Whaling has always been a prominent source of food for Alaskans, and is monitored by the International Whaling Commission. A hunting quota for the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission was recently renewed, allowing 255 whales to be harvested by 10 Alaskan villages over five years.

While it is sad that such a magnificent creature, that has survived for so long, is now dead, it's wrong to pass judgment on a particular culture's means of survival. Like the seal hunt, it doesn't appeal to our Western sensibilities. It is, however, an ancient, traditional means of feeding their families that, despite our modern world, survives to this day.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
sensfan,

I applaud you for your statement. The sad truth is people tend to talk without knowledge. To them I say do some research and find out just who sponsors and works the conservation programs. I can tell it's not PETA who are too busy spreading propaganda, committing crimes and throwing blood on people.

The truth is that hunters and sportsmen are the backbone of animal survival. They take great care to insure survival of species as well as the land they live on. Many species overpopulate which causes starvation. I would much rather have one animal shot then have 3 starve slowly and painfully.

Regarding Native tribes that depend on Whales and other animals we really can't sit back and judge them until we are in their shoes. I'm sure they are not doing it for fun.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Tell me junglelord. Are you a Vegan, do not eat any meat/dairy/fish products? Do not wear or have any leather accessories of any kind? If so, I applaud you for your beliefs, but to state that you hate people that kill animals is a little extreme do you not think? I enjoy a good steak or nice juicy lobster. I love my leather jacket.

It's called survival of the fittest. do you cringe every time an animal kills another animal for food? We, as humans, are animals too...we are carnivorous by nature.

Now I want a bbq'd steak!!!

I know this question isn't directed at me, but I want to answer anyway..

I don't eat meat. The only dairy products I consume are milk and cheese. Neither require killing an animal. I hate seafood. I don't own leather or use leather. I don't use any products, to my knowledge, that require killing animals.

Leather isn't necessary for survival. Hunting for fun isn't necessary for survival. Limited hunting for scientific purposes, that could be excused. Hunting for food purposes, fine. Animals hunting other animals, just part of nature. But us doing it just for the hell of it is wrong. Animals have just as much right to live as we do.

I don't agree with people who feel pouring BBQ sauce on steak or piling other accessories on meat is wrong. But I do think it's wrong to abuse our technological and intellectual (allegedly) advantages over animals for entertainment of fashion purposes.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 15-6-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter
A whale caught last month had a weapon fragment embedded in its neck from more than a century ago. An arrow-shaped projectile that has given researchers insight into the whale's age, estimated between 115 and 130 years old.

news.yahoo.com...

Fascinating!Its animals with this kind of longevity that may one day through genitic reseach prolong the human lifespan and perhaps eliminate some of mankinds diseases.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Not even gonna comment

welcome to ATS

Oh byrd

Perhaps you should comment. Please. By all means. Speak your mind.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 15-6-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join