It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain the world effects if a Nuke was used on New York?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Can someone please explain the world effects if a Nuke was used on New York City.

ie radiation affects on rest world, ecconomy, fallout etc etc.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The fallout would be economic... not radioactive. This city (I live and work in Manhattan) is the financial hub of many major companies, as well as containing two of the worlds most important equity markets. Every nation would feel various levels of economic catastrophe as a result.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Most important of all, if a nuke were to hit New York, we would lose our IT Director!
(and probably a few other ATS members.)

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just look at what happened after 9/11, but multiply that by 1000

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I know you're looking for fallout/nuclear winter type stuffs (if it's a true nuke and not a dirty bomb). i can't answer that, but...

If NYC (or america in general) were nuked, the aftermath would be UGLY. Depending on the temperment of the president (and whoever pulls his strings), it could mean nuking a few countries in return, or he would listen to "reason" from the UN/rest of the world and beat the crap out of some countries with conventional arms in retaliation. Oh, and martial law... that would surely happen quick.

I'm convinced it would start WWIII (look at the effects of 9/11...), that our economy (and that of much of the world) would tank, etc...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I agree with William about the economic consequences.

But what of retaliation?

I think Bush,or whoever, will have to be seen to respond in kind and how do you nuke a stateless organisation.

In the immediate aftermath a number of states will be worried like Iran,Saudi Arabia,Syria,and North Korea.

International relations will be on the wire.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well this is what the A-Bomb did to Hiroshima. I know this is a much smaller city than New York but the devastation is vast.

Hiroshima Before

Hiroshima After

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A Few More.....

Hiroshima Before

Hiroshima After

A real after pic from Hiroshima

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
But then, in Japan the architecture was mostly wooden. This is easily blown off with an explosion. The concrete structures are still standing, heavily damaged, but you could have survived inside. Concrete architecture of NY would still stand.
About skyscrapers... propably they would collapse, maybe not in a way WTC did but they would "lie down". If some would still be standing, there is a propability that broken glass blown into the building would cause deaths of many.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by exdog
Nuclear Attack Simulator

Is it just me or is this simulator not working?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
From what I understand, the first few miles around ground zero of an explosion would be as hot or hotter than the sun itself. This would melt ANYTHING in the area. Five miles away, cars hoods would completely melt, along with the rest of them. In fact, there would still be relatively widespread damage up to 30 miles away. Lemme see if I can dig up a link on this topic. It described in pretty graphic detail the scope of destruction from a Nuke.

-P

Originally posted by Johnny
But then, in Japan the architecture was mostly wooden. This is easily blown off with an explosion. The concrete structures are still standing, heavily damaged, but you could have survived inside. Concrete architecture of NY would still stand.
About skyscrapers... propably they would collapse, maybe not in a way WTC did but they would "lie down". If some would still be standing, there is a propability that broken glass blown into the building would cause deaths of many.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I tried going here instead:

es.rice.edu...

-P

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Nuclear Attack Simulator

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. The videos are nice too.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It depends what type of atomic/nuke is used, I mean power in KT.

I remember this equasion to count the range of explosion
(yes, I don't have MS equasion

where Rx is range in 3 zones:
_____ground explosion_____air explosion
R1________270m____________40m

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I saw a made for T.V. movie 15-20 years ago about a nuke going off in either N.Y. or L.A. and the blast took the path of least resistance and blew out towards the harbour in a shape like Italy. Don't know if this was based on any scientific theory, but it's possible.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Nuclear Attack Simulator

my apologies, it worked the last time I visited-

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Don';t forget that it's still in argument whether WWIII back during the Cold War actually would create a nuclear winter or not. Fallout wouldn't be a problem, but as it was stated, the economic and political damage would be extreme.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Excellent before and after examples of Japan there Black Jackal...

See Mad Max, Beyond The Thunderdome, for a likely image of post nuke NYC....(at the end)

As was said, the ecological damage wouldn't be a global effect so much...but the economic effect would be severe (same would apply to London). The real danger lies more in our reaction (the US). At that point, you'd see the US embark on a rather ambitious takeover of Syria, Iran, Saudi, etc. using a combination of bribing the current leaders, mass air power, and tactical missiles...with no concern of international opinion.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
SkepticOverlord, is this site hosted at your house? Because if NY is nuked, we can't even DISCUSS it on this forum then. It'd be down permanently! We got people from all over US AND all over the World here, but their convergence point is dependent on the survival of NYC. Damnit... why couldn't you live in some recneck village in the middle of Montana or something.. why Manhattan man! :|

top topics

<<   2 >>

join