It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this in the bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a passage that states that man shall pay 10 percent of his earnings to the church as a tithe to god. i live in the south `and all the baptist churches in my area preach this some of them go so far as to ask the congrgation to give a copy of their w2s to the church to make sure you are paying your 10 percent tax. i kinda thought jesus kicked the tax collectors out of his fathers house in the new testament. and this tithe is totally different than passing the collection plate because they do both a weekly collectionm plate and a monthly tithe. the bible we use is king james version

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Tithes were originally to support the weak but no set monetary amount was fixed. God in the OT expected a tenth of your harvest/herd as a tithe... Obviously it has become 10% of your money to God/church. I suppose that is to be expected

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Someone out there still surprised on the fact that religion is all about making money and leading people on their "correct" path? Someone show me a mainstream religions thats not interested in your money and I will sign up.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Hi proteus33

Tithing is un-scriptual rather than me going on and on check out this link it will explaine far better than i can.

Under the New Covenant, God does not dwell in temples made with hands,

"The God Who makes the world and all that is in it, He, the Lord inherent of heaven and earth, is NOT dwelling in temples made by hands..." (Acts 17:24).

The true believers under the New Covenant are now God’s temple,

"For YOU ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD, according as God said, that I will be making My home and will be walking in them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people" (II Cor.

A Scriptural Exposition on the Fraudulent Fleecing of the Flock

Since when could men rob good when he does.nt live in temples

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This is a point of much contention. I have heard both sides of it.

Understand that, if you attend a church, it is dependent on the giving of you and the rest of the congregation to survive. There is no federal, state or local program that provides financial support to churches.

That said, the tithe is an Old Testament statute that goes all the way back to Abram tithing of his spoil from the defeat of the kings to Melchizedek, king of Salem, in Genesis 14:18-20. This event is revisited in the New Testament in Hebrews 7:1-3.

Many of today's Christian churches encourage what is called grace giving, with no set percentage of income or other guideline but the urging of the Holy Spirit within.

I belong to a Baptist church, and our pastor expects his congregation to tithe ten percent of gross income to support the church and its missions. In addition, when we have the Lord's Table (communion with no claim of trans-substantiation), a benevolence offering is collected. The benevolence offering is separate from tithing and is dedicated solely to the needs of those in the congregation facing financial difficulty as a result of loss of employment, disability, disease, death, or other legitimate difficulty.

Like our pastor says, "If money grows on trees, that tree is planted in your back yard!"

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Tithe in English, Hebrew, and Greek all mean "a tenth" and the first biblically recorded instance of tithing was Genesis 14 when Abraham gave a tenth of the booty captured from 5 kings to Melchizedek. Jacob, Abraham's grandson, continued the practice when he was running from his brother Esau and had his famous dream. He was so inspired by the dream that he made a type of altar out of the stone he used for a pillow, calling that place "Bethel" (house of God-technically, house of El). There at Bethel Jacob made a vow: and of all that thou shalt give to me I will surely give the tenth unto thee. Bible doesn't say who Jacob would give the tithe to. What is striking in this story of tithing is that it was voluntary, not obligatory or mandated by God.
In the Judaic law, there was a regulation regarding the firstfruits of the harvest. (Lev. 23:10) These firstfruits were not called tithes but heave offerings. (Num. 18:24). The first official mention of tithing is in Lev. 27:30-34. "All the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree...the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord." It was in verse 34 that it became obligatory upon the children of Israel. But there was also voluntary giving above and beyond tithing as indicated by Ex. 35:4-9; 36:5,6. The Levites had no inheritance in the land of Canaan and were given "all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service." (Num. 18:20-28)
In Deut. 12, the law says that the Israelites were to bring their tithes and burnt offerings to the habitation that God would chose. It was set up as a sort of social welfare for the needy. The Israelites became obliged to pay that tithe (kind of like we are obliged to pay into social security).
Todays evangelists preach a health and wealth prosperity gospel and use a lot of scripture from the old testament to separate good people from the money in their wallets. A few verses I hear almost every televangelist drill into the heads of their listeners: Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, EVEN THIS WHOLE NATION (emphasis mine). Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
One thing the televangelists don't mention is that tithing was obligatory upon the Nation of Israel but not upon Christians. Luke 11:42 shows Yeshua scolding the scribes and Pharisees in the matter of tithing. Under Christ (the end of the law), they would not have been any longer bound to the law covenant. Moses, a faithful servant, bound under the law covenant, was obliged to pay tithes. Christ, a SON over his own house, is under no such obligation. Tithing was made obligatory on the house of servants, "israel after the flesh". but not on the higher house, the house of sons. We are made stewards in this household. (Mat. 25:14-29; Luke 12:42; 16:1-12; ICor. 4:1,2).
We are to "do good to all men as we have opportunity, especially to the household of faith (Gal. 6:10). The Bible nowhere says that the destitute and debt-ridden MUST contribute tithes of their income. Voluntary giving is praised but not demanded. We are not guaranteed wealth, prosperity, health, material rewards, success, etc. for our giving. Tithing is not a heavenly 401k.
The gentiles were told to abstain from pollution of idols, from fornication, from the eating of things strangled, and from blood. (Acts 15:20, 29; 21:25) They were not commanded to tithe. Romans 12:8 says, "He that giveth, let him do it with simplicity (liberality, disinterestedness, ASV, Diaglott)."
I Cor. 16:1,2: "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given direction to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gathering when I come." Apparently Jerusalem had some poor parishoners and a special collection was appointed for their benefit. The Greek word, "logia" in this verse is translated "collection" or "gathering". It does not specifically mean tax-gathering, although tax-gathering is one form of collection. If Paul had meant specifically tithing rather than just "collecting/gathering" he would have used the Greek word for tithing, "dekate".

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
bigup yourself, whitewave.
*thumbs up*

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is a subject that I don't like to talk about much because once I was told by a vicar that my faith was only as deep as my pockets. (in a round about way). This made me look into it more and was told to use my heart as a guide, to give freely and not resent what I do give. I was unemployed at the time so 10% of not a lot leaves you with virtually nothing. If I was earning a good wage though it would just mean that I have to take one holiday less a year. Although I am yet again unemployed due to ill health my wife works and we do give about 8% after tax. I have no problem with that. Just give what you can afford and pray that it is put to a good cause. 10% is just a guideline. How much time do you give to the church also, can that be part of the package, I don't know.
All the best with this one as its one of those subjects that has many answers.
jon.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gonjo
Someone out there still surprised on the fact that religion is all about making money and leading people on their "correct" path? Someone show me a mainstream religions thats not interested in your money and I will sign up.

AMEN Gojo!!!!!!!!

I agree all churches are as interested in saving your soul as they are about what lines your pockets. I don't think when God was asking about 10 percent... that he was specifically meaning possessions, food, and/or money. I think this should apply to time as well. However, any church I've suggested that to, threw a fit, hence why i don't go to church. I have no problem donating my time, work and efforts.. I just don't have the dollars to spare. I'm not going to sacrifice food/electricity/water for my family so some Minister/Priest can drive a really nice car and live in a huge house.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
`and all the baptist churches in my area preach this some of them go so far as to ask the congrgation to give a copy of their w2s to the church to make sure you are paying your 10 percent tax.

I won’t talk about denominations of churches it’s not my place too. However, no church has the right to ask for your tax statements. A preacher of a church has one purpose only to try and save souls, by teaching Jesus’ words. However, keep in mind a church pays the electric, water, sewage, trash, phones, books, etc…to keep it running. So as far as giving WHAT YOU CAN NO MORE THAN 10% is fine and more than expectable by God. However, when you give, give with a kind heart don’t worry about it. Don’t give with a begrudging heart. At the same time if the church you are going to don’t preach Gods word at all. Then your not giving to the right place. There’s a lot of passages in the Bible considering Tithe and Tithes

Here's a couple of nice verses (kjv) Old Testament.
Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

New Testament
Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Here Jesus' says don't leave your tithing undone however, law, judgment, mercy, and faith must you do also.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
A passage that states that man shall pay 10 percent of his earnings to the church as a tithe to God. I live in the south `and all the baptist churches in my area preach this some of them go so far as to ask the congregation to give a copy of their w2s to the church to make sure you are paying your 10 percent tax. I kinda thought jesus kicked the tax collectors out of his fathers house in the new testament. and this tithe is totally different than passing the collection plate because they do both a weekly collection plate and a monthly tithe. The bible we use is king james version

Now asking for the w2 form thats not right. The church should be glad your going there. But I feel them asking for the w2 is out of line. The amount you tith is between you and God. I would be going to another church. I think some churches are getting a little greedy. You tithe what you can afford to tithe on the weekly offering. Monthly tithes too? First time I heard about that too.

I was brought up at a big church but I never heard anyone asking for a w2 from anyone.

Another example

Went to church today and the preacher was carrying on so much I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. I was taught to be reverent while in a church. These people are anything but reverent.:shk:

The preacher kept on and on if you don't give all you heart and soul to God to serve him your not saved. I was taught if you beleive in the Lord Jesus Christ you shall be saved.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
When the Israelites conquered the Holy Land, the Levites received no inheritance in the land. As stated by a previous poster, they were commanded to serve God in the Temple, or Tabernacle at the time; that was their inheritance. They were dependent on the sacrificial offerings of the other tribes for their sustenance, much like priests and pastors and ministers are dependent on the giving of their congregations these days. There were then and are now instances of graft and corruption, of course. People are people, and motives are not always pure. If your church leader is loaded with bling and driving an H3, you may want to consider a church where your offerings won't be used in such a manner.

I agree with the previous poster that it isn't all about money either. It is about giving your time, talent, and treasure in whatever measure God has blessed you with.

Consider this passage from the New Testament:

Mark
12:41-44
And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

It isn't what you give or how much, it is the act of joyful giving that matters. Salvation is a gift from God that can neither be earned nor purchased.

Matt. 6:19-21

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I was always under the impression that the House of God was your heart not a monetary consuming house of god's rejected.

You show me those who go above an beyond the call of collecting dues and I will show you the BMW he bought with it.

Maybe even that sponsored trip to the Vatican to play golf with solid 24 k gold clubs.

House of god will and always will be located within your heart and soul, as well as mindset. any other actions or saying otherwise was a tainted lure from the satanic evil doer himself.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
I was always under the impression that the House of God was your heart not a monetary consuming house of god's rejected.

You show me those who go above an beyond the call of collecting dues and I will show you the BMW he bought with it.

Maybe even that sponsored trip to the Vatican to play golf with solid 24 k gold clubs.

House of god will and always will be located within your heart and soul, as well as mindset. any other actions or saying otherwise was a tainted lure from the satanic evil doer himself.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

People who are saved on earth are the temple of God. THink scripture said for he are the temple of God, A house that cannot be hidden. Why would he be in the church and his children at the same time.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb

Why would he be in the church and his children at the same time.

I was under the impression that theists believe god is everywhere, in everything, omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent.

I believe that answers your question.

I don't have anything to say on tithes. Well, except that I will give churches this: many of them DO use some of the money for charitable acts. I'm not saying that these charities can be donated to directly instead of giving to the church by rote, but they do help some people. I live in housing built by an order of nuns belonging to the Catholic Church. Coincidentally enough, the nuns have never tried to shove their religion down my throat or tell me I'm wrong because of my own beliefs, so we get along fine.

But the head of a church living in luxury off the backs of his congregation is one of the things that makes me dislike organized religion in general. It seems rather extortionate, or at the least, taking advantage of peoples' good nature. Church can be very big business. And tax-free at that.

I don't know. Some of them feel sort of sleazy to me. Telling people god wants them to give until it hurts. And then running around with young women behind their wives' backs on the parishoner's dime.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
O I did forget to mention that I dont believe the new testiment ever said that you have to give 10% over to the Church. I know the old testiment said something like it. Plus I think Jesus and acts showed that all who believe gave up all there money and that the church gave the money to the people equally.

top topics

join