It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ant invasion of my computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hi all

okay, here's the thing. It's winter and we've had a sudden influx of ants due to the cold weather. Now this normally wouldn't bother me only I noticed a few days ago that I had ants basically covering my transformer for my speakers and I said I'd deal with it the following day. Well that happened to be 3 days later and when I followed the line, low and behold it went into my computer. I'm a qualified techie but I'm also lazy. So my side cover is off and I have ants attacking my HDD area as well as my cd writer and dvd writer.

What's the easiest way to get rid of these things short of having to take the computer apart which is too much effort. I did a little googling an discovered that pepper repels them, so now I have about a quarter bottle of pepper detering any more invasions on my computer. I can't use pesticides since most are flammable and react badly with electronics. Anyways, thanks in advance.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Smear your case around the vent holes with vaseline. That's how I keep them out of my crab tank.

Also, there's a great way to kill the nest. It's for Argentine ants, which are a nightmare in CA, but I don't see how this wouldn't work on any other species:

www.ps.uci.edu...

It took the ants about two days to figure out it was poison when I used it, and they never used that particular scent trail again.

Good luck!

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I would think that the only way to be sure that they are no longer meking your computer their home is to take it apart. A buddy of mine had a similar experience with cockroaches and his stereo. I don't know about ants, but the cockroaches having no other food source, started chewing the insulation off of the wires inside of his stereo, until one day he noticed that his stereo was not working anymore.

Anyway, there are several methods to make sure that they don't get back into your computer, but to be on the safe side, also make sure that the ones that are there get removed in some way.

*I've heard of "computer bugs" before, but I never thought it was meant literally until now. * lol

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm afraid this is much more serious than you realise young man. once the bugs get in to the system, there really is no stopping them. they will have already infiltrated your internet connection and the chances are that ATS could be a possible target for the ANT empire.

We are standing by with tactical nukes, please get at least 50 miles clear and then give me a call (555 your so screwed)

I'm sorry. It's the only way to stop them.

new topics

top topics

join