It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

firefox deleted all of my bookmarks???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
firefox deleted all of my bookmarks...

that's so weird...

has this occurred to anyone else???

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It happened to me once, when I installed some plug-in for Firefox. I uninstalled the plug-in and got my bookmarks back. I installed the same plug-in again without any problem.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
It happened to me once, when I installed some plug-in for Firefox. I uninstalled the plug-in and got my bookmarks back. I installed the same plug-in again without any problem.

hmmm, i didn't install anything...

i guess i will just have to add the bookmarks manually again...

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

i guess i will just have to add the bookmarks manually again...

I suspect that your bookmarks are still on your computer somewhere. Not sure where you'll find them though. Maybe if you do a search you'll find them. Then you can make a backup. Maybe you'll need to reinstall Firefox to be able to use bookmarks again.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Here is where I found my bookmark backups...

c:\documents and settings\*user folder*\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\*something*.default\bookmarkbackups(folder)

In the bookmarkbackups folder, you should see individual ".html" files, corresponding to the bookmarks that you have set previously, assuming that they weren't somehow deleted as well, and overwritten.

Note:

for *user folder*, go to the folder for the account that you normally use.

and the *something* is mixed alphanumeric string, probably different on your computer. Just look for the ".default" extension.

[edit on 5/27/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Here is where I found my bookmark backups...

thanks...

i, actually, have two of those alphanumeric strings and so i copied and pasted the first set of bookmarks into the second set (with no detectable results)...

here is another symptom of my problem:

i cannot bookmark pages...

when i click "bookmark this page" and then click "ok," the message box doesn't disappear (as it used to) and there are no bookmarks in the "bookmarks" tab...

the only bookmarks that i have are the ones that i tab (and then they appear in the "bookmarks toolbar folder" under the "bookmarks" tab...

weird, huh???

i uninstalled and reinstalled firefox with no avail...

[edit on 28-5-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
That was strange. Maybe you can use the "system restore" function in Windows, to set your system back to before you detected the problem?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

i, actually, have two of those alphanumeric strings and so i copied and pasted the first set of bookmarks into the second set (with no detectable results)...

Just to clarify, do you mean that you copied the files to another folder, or copied the folder name onto another folder?

i cannot bookmark pages...

Is this since you did what you said in your last post, or has this been happening since the bookmarks went missing?

i uninstalled and reinstalled firefox with no avail...

First, I have to ask if you rebooted after uninstalling, but prior to reinstalling.

Otherwise, you might have to uninstall Firefox, then dig into the registry to remove all references to Firefox. Usually when you uninstall programs, there are many references still left in the registry, and could interfere with a reinstall.

But I don't suggest that you do that unless you know exactly what you are doing. You can really screw your system up in there.

[edit on 5/28/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   

That was strange. Maybe you can use the "system restore" function in Windows, to set your system back to before you detected the problem?

that would be the easy remedy, huh???

Just to clarify, do you mean that you copied the files to another folder, or copied the folder name onto another folder?

sorry, i copied the actual html files...

Is this since you did what you said in your last post, or has this been happening since the bookmarks went missing?

sorry again...

i have been having this problem ever since the beginning...

First, I have to ask if you rebooted after uninstalling, but prior to reinstalling.

no, i didn't do that...

Otherwise, you might have to uninstall Firefox, then dig into the registry to remove all references to Firefox. Usually when you uninstall programs, there are many references still left in the registry, and could interfere with a reinstall.

i know about that technique...

i guess i could do that if everything else fails...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I suggest to first uninstall, then reboot. After your computer reboots, then do the reinstall. Then of course, see if you can save bookmarks. If you can save bookmarks after this, you might have to manually re-bookmark all of your pages. But check first, to see if you can still locate the backup.

I would not suggest System Restore until every other attempt has failed.

What version of Firefox are you using, btw??

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   

that would be the easy remedy, huh???

Yes. If you didn't have this problem yesterday or a couple of days ago, this could solve your problem, and you won't lose any of your personal files. This is what I would have done at this point.

START -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System restore -> set system back to an earlier time (or something similar) -> choose a date before you got the problem -> reboot. It takes only a couple of minutes.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   

What version of Firefox are you using, btw??

the newest...

START -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System restore -> set system back to an earlier time (or something similar) -> choose a date before you got the problem -> reboot. It takes only a couple of minutes.

i am not that computer illiterate

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

i am not that computer illiterate

But maybe others reading this thread and who has a similar problem are?

Anyway, what's stopping you from doing it? It might be the quickest and easiest solution. What can go wrong?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I've had 80% of my bookmarks get deleted once, like a year ago. Ticked me off so much.

In all honesty I'd switch to Opera if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of websites don't work correctly in Opera.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I love firefox but it did it to me and i was

it happened when i turned off my computer without xing firfeox out.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I use firefox though only for a short time. I stopped using ALL M$ products a couple months ago. Anyway I backup my bookmarks to a different location, in my case a different drive. I also took a screenshot of all my add-ons and saved it to the same location. This way I can always get back to where I was....guess this really goes for everything on a computer...backup, backup, backup and after you are done with that backup.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
the problem seemed to have fixed itself (after the most recent automatic firefox update)...

i actually tried to fix it before (by uninstalling, then restarting and then installing and i also tried to fix it by using windows' "search" feature to delete all things firefox and mozilla)...

i had no avail with any of those methods...

thankfully, though, the problem fixed itself...

thanks all to have tried to help me!!!

top topics

join