It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney's reaction to Hamas Mickey Mouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
You knew it had to happen. the Walt Disney company finally speaks up on the Hamas Mickey Mouse, which was discussed on ATS here.

From the article:

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - The Walt Disney Co. didn't speak out when Hamas militants used a Mickey Mouse look-alike to preach Islamic domination because the company felt it would be ineffective, Disney's chief executive said Monday.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said he and other executives considered ways to react to the recent Hamas show for children that featured someone dressed in what appeared to be a Mickey Mouse costume, railing against Israel and the United States in a high-pitched cartoonish voice.

"We didn't mobilize our forces and seek to either have the clip taken down or to make any broad public statement about it," Iger told a gathering of the Society of Business Editors and Writers at the Disneyland Hotel.

"We were appalled by the use of our character to disseminate that kind of message," he said "I think anytime any group seeks to exploit children in that manner, it's despicable."

Still, Iger said it didn't seem to make any sense for Disney to make any loud public statement at the time.

Wow. Just... Wow. Now we all heard the stories of Disney guarding their IPs like a lion guarding her cubs. The most famous of these assaults on copyright infringers was the order to remove murals with disney characters from 3 daycare centers. So it would make sense that Disney would go after a hate group like the Hamas with an army of lawyers, right?

I just didn't think it would have any effect," he [Inger] said. 'I think it should have been obvious how the company felt about the subject.

Yeah, it's obvious that one of the most powerful companies in the world feels afraid to tackle a terrorist group. If Disney had any balls, it would go after Hamas right where it hurts: in the pocketbook. Hamas would go bankrupt if Disney sued them in an international court of law. No money=no bombs & weapons=no terrorists. Look! A non-violent way to defeat the terrorists! It's a win/win situation for us!

But no, Disney doesn't want to because "it wouldn't have any effect." Yeah, right! It's more like Disney is afraid of having a suicide bomber on the loose in one of their theme parks in retaliation. So in essence, the terrorists have won. Even Disney with thier sue-happy lawyers won't touch them.

What do you think, sirs?

[edit on 22-5-2007 by chissler]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The Palestinian areas are in chaos. I doubt there's any court there that could take this case and do anything meaningful with it. Hamas isn't going to be afraid of a Disney cease & desist order.

I would say Disney is probably doing the best they can do. Any attempt to stop it would be futile and just bring more attention to it.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Disney is big, powerful and wealthy. Why dont they hire some mercenaries, dress them up in character costumes and send them in to take vengance.

Imagine seeing some guy hanging off the side of a helicoptor firing into a town while wearing a Goofy hat. Awsome.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well who would they sue? A company in some country in the Middle East? I don't think copywrites are in every single country, not to mention a country who clearly dosn't support America and Isreal who wouldn't upkeep an American copywrite. It is a pity though that they would use a childrens character to slander a country, but then again it is propaganda and we do have a Jihad on us.

join