It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+72 more 
posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007

www.projectcensored.org

#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media
#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran
#3 Oceans of the World in Extreme Danger
#4 Hunger and Homelessness Increasing in the US
#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo
#6 Federal Whistleblower Protection in Jeopardy
#7 US Operatives Torture Detainees to Death in Afghanistan and Iraq
#8 Pentagon Exempt from Freedom of Information Act
#9 The World Bank Funds Israel-Palestine Wall
#10 Expanded Air War in Iraq Kills More Civilians
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Project Censored: The News that didn't Make News
The Top 25 Censored Media Stories of 2003-2004

+21 more 
posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

#11 Dangers of Genetically Modified Food Confirmed
#12 Pentagon Plans to Build New Landmines
#13 New Evidence Establishes Dangers of Roundup
#14 Homeland Security Contracts KBR to Build Detention Centers in the US
#15 Chemical Industry is EPA’s Primary Research Partner
#16 Ecuador and Mexico Defy US on International Criminal Court
#17 Iraq Invasion Promotes OPEC Agenda
#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story
#19 Destruction of Rainforests Worst Ever
#20 Bottled Water: A Global Environmental Problem
#21 Gold Mining Threatens Ancient Andean Glaciers
#22 $Billions in Homeland Security Spending Undisclosed
#23 US Oil Targets Kyoto in Europe
#24 Cheney’s Halliburton Stock Rose Over 3000 Percent Last Year
#25 US Military in Paraguay Threatens Region

Every year the Sonoma State University creates a compilation of top 25 news stories, that did not make news, but SHOULD HAVE. Stories that were ignored, overlooked or simply forgotten. Here you have top 25 stories for this year, and I strongly suggest clicking on their webiste and really reading through each and every one of them. It will be most illuminating.

www.projectcensored.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/5/07 by Souljah]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Excellent find Souljah.

It is important that these stories be dragged into the spotlight, and that we do not let them be swept under the rug of political convenience.

And just look at some of the titles there... no wonder some people don't want them in view of the General Populace.

+1 more 
posted on May, 21 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terran Blue
Excellent find Souljah.

It is important that these stories be dragged into the spotlight, and that we do not let them be swept under the rug of political convenience.

And just look at some of the titles there... no wonder some people don't want them in view of the General Populace.

Thank You.

I agree that these stories should NOT be swept under the rug, but sadly they already were, because if they were not, top 25 most censored stories would not appear there at all. Well my favourite is definetly this one, since everybody is bashing Iran these days, I suggest they take a second look and read very carefully:

Halliburton Secretly Doing Business with Key Member of Iran’s Nuclear Team

Scandal-plagued Halliburton, the oil services company once headed by Vice President Dick was secretly working with one of Iran’s top nuclear scientists on natural gas related projects and, allegedly, selling the scientists’ oil company key components for a nuclear reactor, according to Halliburton sources with intimate knowledge of both companies’ business dealings.

Now comes word that Halliburton, which has a long history of flouting U.S. law by conducting business with countries the Bush administration said has ties to terrorism, was working with Cyrus Nasseri, the vice chairman of Oriental Oil Kish, one of Iran’s largest private oil companies, on oil development projects in Tehran. Nasseri is also a key member of Iran’s nuclear development team.

“Nasseri, a senior Iranian diplomat negotiating with Europe over Iran's controversial nuclear program is at the heart of deals with US energy companies to develop the country's oil industry”, the Financial Times reported.

Mister Dick does it again!

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Oustanding topic, It brings awareness of what is happening in close doors and behind the American people, specialy when we are the ones funding with tax money so corporate america can profit including our own elected politicians.

Also we are the ones that has to deal with all the shady and dirty nasty secrets that our government does and affects nations in the world.

Then people ask why other countries hates us so much.

We truly have a corrupted system of government right now and is not going to get any better.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Souljah : Great contribution. ( I flagged this thread! )

I, too, picked the one about Haliburton, as I wouldn't trust them any
farther than I could throw them. They're playing all sides.
War whores !
Thanks again for putting these stories where we can remember them again
. . . . and wince.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Aha, the Spider... I made a thread about it in August 2005.

Pentagon Poised To Resume Production Of Antipersonnel Mines

edit: I missed a tag...

[edit on 2007/5/21 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Great find there Souljah, shame most people will not read this/post here

Of the top 10, ive heard about all of them except the Halliburton one which is shocking indeed.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Pure left-wing MSM propaganda!

Seriously, Souljah, excellent topic. I got to use that new "flag the stars" thingy.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Utne reader does an issue on this each year. I got the most recent issue but might have missed the one this was in... sadly we could extend it almost indefinitely with all the crap the bush minor administration tries to hide.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Aha, the Spider... I made a thread about it in August 2005.

Pentagon Poised To Resume Production Of Antipersonnel Mines

Aha!

I think these two articles go togather pretty well:

400 million people live in "minefields"

Some 400 million people around the world live and work in what are effectively minefields, at daily risk of death or maiming by cluster bombs, according to a report issued on Wednesday.

The report, from the campaign group Handicap International, said over 13,000 civilians are known to have been killed or injured in recent years by the bombs, but that the real figure was probably many times higher.

n February, 46 countries meeting in Oslo pledged to aim for an international ban by next year that would prohibit the use, production, transfer and stockpiling of the munitions, which can be set off years after they are dropped.

But major cluster bomb-producing states, including the United States, Russia and China, were not in Oslo and have made clear they oppose a blanket ban, arguing that they need to keep the option of using the weapon for defense.

But of course they were not in Oslo - they were too busy making new and advanced mines for Defense.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Greta find Souljah, some pretty important stuff, some of which I'd not even heard of.

I have to say there are a few things included I have to take issue with.

#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media

While this really should have been reported on more by the big media, it's not that
surprising they did'nt talk about it, considering it was'nt to long ago that they were
talking about the issue of Net Neutrality, so in this case I think it's a case of an
important issue being ignored because of the perception of public fatigue over the topic in general.

#8 Pentagon Exempt from Freedom of Information Act

This was news?

I always sort of figured they were, as part of national security concerns, do I agree with it,
well that depends, but I honestly did'nt think that that would be news to anyone.

#12 Pentagon Plans to Build New Land-mines

I don't think this was really ignored, as much as it was deemed so unimportant that
very few people would even care about it, so I would'nt call it a major news story.

Anyways, they are all still important none the less.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Excellent topic.

When I read articles like this I feel we are gerbils. I seriously hope that our "owner" one day leaves the cage unlocked for 3-5 secs so we can get out and pee on his forehead.

I for one, will not let history repeat itself over and over again, and the abillities we have as good-hearted peoples, should in the end defeat evil.
I have faith. Join me.

Love and Light

Joe

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I saw this book on the top 25 censored stories in Barnes and Noble. Interesting find. Maybe I'll go and buy the book

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It makes you feel helpless doesn't it? Try fighting any of them and see how far you go. The problem with the whole "World Domination", greedy/corrupt politicians, the quest for ultimate power.........these people will never have the loyalty or trust of anyone. It will end up being their demise.
It should be obvious to all the hardworking, decent people out there we are easily "squashed", easily manipulated, we are already under their control. The next step is reigning in the upper-middle class then on to the wealthy. There is no domination until everyone is under their control. Look at what is happening to the DOJ and fired/murdered U.S. Attorneys.......they became a nuisance and they were dealt with, put in their place. Next will be all of the employees in federal agencies like the FBI, CIA, NSA, Secret Service, Military, ect........they pretty much are puppets for the powers-that-be already.

Once the "elite" reach total domination..............who is next?? What is the next goal for them? Once they have the worlds population under their total control, once they have all of the money, once their greed is satisfied..........who will they control next? How much money is enough?? for these people..........they will never be satisfied, they will never have enough money. What people fail to understand is these people are sociopaths, they are sick, they are twisted, they are mental. In the end there will be one person who judges all of us, one person we will all be accountable to.

[edit on 21-5-2007 by Jillian_Bacardi]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Excellent find there Souljah. If i can i would like to express my opinions on these...

Originally posted by Souljah
#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo

#7 US Operatives Torture Detainees to Death in Afghanistan and Iraq

#10 Expanded Air War in Iraq Kills More Civilians

#24 Cheney’s Halliburton Stock Rose Over 3000 Percent Last Year

#5 - Congo....eh. Since 1998 there have been over 4 million deaths there between clashes with the Congo army and Rebels. Wikipedia says that the UN have declared a humanitarian crisis b/c 1k die possible everyday due to malnutrition and such. ANd what is at stake there? Project Censored Media says that "At stake is control of natural resources that are sought by U.S. corporations—diamonds, tin, copper, gold, and more significantly, coltan and niobium, two minerals necessary for production of cell phones and other high-tech electronics; and cobalt, an element essential to nuclear, chemical, aerospace, and defense industries." Damn......what a shame. More to die for our gain :/ Sometimes thats America for you...(no offense though to anyone)

#7 - Another Abu Gharib.... Well its not like we didnt expect this stuff. The US isnt the only one doing this kinds of stuff. Besides at Gitmo other countries also do torture until those victims are dead. Though they arent as well known its becoming a common occurence in this day and age. From with what you can gain and lose, life isnt as precious as people think anymore.

#10 - Since our invasion and now occupation in Iraq, possible more than 300k civillians have died. Not surprsing to me. With all those sorties the aircraft do with fricking 450 lb. bombs there is bound to be some collateral damage with human life included in it. But there isnt an excuse for this behavior. America's military needs to act smarter and more accordingly with what they have at hand and not bombard Iraq with 500 lb. crap bombs full of death. I agree death to the insurgents and ethnic groups who want destrction and no peace for Iraq, but dont include innocents.

#12 - I heard that one of the most dangerous jobs to have is being a landmine de-activator person. There are hundreds of thousands un-exploded ordinance of landmies in the world. Living in such danger is not healthy and definetly not healthy to those who live inside borders and territories where landmines are commone occurance. Unfortuantly they are rampant in African due to miiltias and clans and such warring against each other. And with the US building dangerously more deadlier kinds of LM's its only going to get worse. "Black Market anyone? Buy some US mines for $650 a pop." Sucks......

#24 - Seems as if the rich are getting richer. Heh, nice. While leaving the poor and homeless in the same country as you still live in crap conditions. Sell some of that high-cap stock you have you bastard and help build an America we can be proud of, infrastructiure and civillian wise. FRICKIN 3k % !?!?!??!??! OMG.......that is unheard of. C'mon now, that just is.....fricking pisses me off those kind of ppl, ALREADY in high power, just have to get richer while the lower classes get worse off.

Sorry bout this ppl but i had to rant bout it. And sorry if i offeded anyone about anything.....i am still young and naive and think that i am right about everything
Yea so feel free to quote and de-bunk me. I might learn something out of it....like to not post so much crap

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I'll have to be sick, i'm flagging a Souljah thread

Some of those stories were indeed published as small news in european media (or Finnish one at least), sad that US media is in that tight leash by the government...

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Good post, but the list is bunk. It doesnt mention the military establishments publis plans and sucesses with omnipotent artificial intelligence programs.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There are many things happening in that world that could make that list but as I understand it the various editors and groups involved are polled before the list is made. Is it bunk? No, hardly.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Great find.

The more of these I read, the angrier I get.
It's time to start digging into the Cheney/Halliburton connection some more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join