It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does another indigenous sentient race exist on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread got me thinking...with such ignorance about our own biosphere, so much we don't know that we're learning everyday, could it not be possible that there is another sentient species living on our planet? Could they not live in the deep ocean or somewhere else that is isolated? Furthermore, it seemed that I heard once that the majority of UFO sightings were above bodies of water. Can someone locate this statistic for me if it in fact exists? I have also heard that UFOs have often been observed exiting and entering the oceans.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
awesome thread man!

i for one believe there is atleast one other sentinent being on the planet. all the land that hasnt been covered or observed yet. and perhaps even this being is even smarter then humans.. they fear technology, but this dosnt make them stupid.. this may be one of the reasons why they have been able to hide for this long without ever being "officialy" classified or known about by humans

maybe its big foot
well i think its a strong possibly

the statement you make about UFOs is very thought provoking too especially when one thinks about USO sitings as well!

[edit on 17-5-2007 by biotic]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
that would assume that humans are sentinent to start with ..

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by chibihogoshino
that would assume that humans are sentinent to start with ..

lmao, i know right... well lets just assume that we are for the sake of the thread

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
maybe rods are those creatures.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I guess it would depend on what we mean by "sentient". A usual definition is a being that has reflective self consciousness, i.e. they are aware of their existence as thinking things. Unless a creature had a communication system similar to ours, human language, I'm not sure how we could answer this question.

Dolphins and whales have complex communication systems, but how would we tell if they are self aware?

Chimps and gorillas seems to express personal preferences for other creatures in their species, food types, etc. Are they self aware of these preferences?

Hard to say.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have to agree with the above poster that it's kind of hard for us to measure the sentience of a non-humanoid species that doesn't use technology. Dolphins, whales, apes, etc. could all be considered intelligent to the point of being self-aware, but it's really impossible to definitively measure.

If there is another sentient species on earth (the kind that would either be humanoid like us, or use some kind of technology allowing us to identify them as such), I'd guess that they lived either under ground (reptillians, maybe?) or under water, because I don't see any relatively large population of highly intelligent creatures sharing the surface of the earth with us without our being aware of it; unless they were near-extinct and took great pains to avoid and hide from human beings for some reason.

this is a big earth, so who knows? maybe there are Morlocks living under the earth, waiting to prey on blondes, and maybe Namor the Submariner and Aquaman lead the Atlantean peoples beneath the surface of the ocean.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
i think the ocean has a bunch of answers! it's just so big like miles of "uncharted" territory maybe there's mermaids!! haha but seriously I don't see why not.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The ocean is big enough to hide a city of aliens. Maybe they quitely mine the bottom of the ocean for some needed mineral. That would explain the ufos entering the ocean. Just a thought.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I vote elephants as the other sentient species on the planet for a couple of reasons. One, they mourn their dead, just like humans. That's actually a sign of emotion, and complex thought. To me, that's sure sign of intellect.

Elephants mourn their dead.

Secondly, they communicate using a system of tones barely audible to the human ear. Elephants can speak to one another.

This all tells me that elephants may be the next smartest creature on the planet, next to humans. Sometimes, they even surpass us. I was watching a National Geographic show a week or so ago, and saw a mother and her baby get used as bait to draw a zoologist in, while the males in the herd ran around and flanked him. He almost didn't escape. This should serve as yet another example of just how intelligent these creatures are. They can mourn their dead, speak to one another, and plan attacks with precision. These are all hallmarks of an advanced civilization.

TheBorg

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm assuming for a moment that you may be referring to a sentient race other than humans and other than other extant, endemic species of Earth we are aware of.

If that is what you are asking, then (IMHO) my answer is that I believe other indigenous sentient beings of which we are unaware do not exist. If they do, they prefer to keep themselves extremely well-hidden, use almost no resources, have managed to remain undetectable by an exponentially increasing variety of devices and human groups designed to detect them, and have managed to exist and thrive virtually invisible on a planet teaming with billions of curious, suspicious observers. Intriguing as this concept may be, I don't think it is true.

Rather, I believe it is possible, likely even, that a number extragenous beings have come to Earth and gone, some of them multiple times, and some of them concurrently. It is these sentient beings that have, if only periodically, existed and shared the Earth with human beings.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ha, wouldn't it be funny if all these UFOs were actually other beings from earth having a look see every now and then and just trying to keep a low profile. Greys i suppose could live underwater in underwater citys. They have eyes large enough to collect the little light down there which would be artificial light. Their nostrils resemble other underwater creatures so they could close in water. large heads means large brains and thin bodies... well they dont really need to be big and muscular do they?! What a thought!

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
some people do believe that greys evolved from dolphins here on earth, but that's kind of an oversimplification based on their appearance, in my opinion.

to actually be primarily aquatic, a bipedal creature would need a number of adaptations that aren't generally observed on greys, especially if they were deep-ocean dwellers. for starters, any primarily aquatic creature likely wouldn't be bipedal, and even an amphibious creature would likely have a body-structure more like a frog so that it was a more capable swimmer. and let's not even get started on deep-ocean pressures and how the frail bodies of greys would react to them; their heads would probably be crushed after a few hundred feet of depth.

the only thing that makes me want to think that greys could possibly be an amphibious life-form (if indeed they do exist) is their skin, which is often described as being very much like an amphibian's.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well if you consider evolution then it is quite likely that we already have the next step past homo sapien. There is little doubt that Extra Sensory Perception in noticed in more and more people ranging from Empathy to Precognition to Telepathy in more extreme cases. Theories range from dormant genes to minor mutations that breed. Best term used is from Marvell comics: Homo Superior.

For those that just can not wait there is always Transhumanism. Between advances in knowledge of the human genome and possibility of cybernetics and nanotechnology in the near future, 2050 could become rather interesting with Island of Dr. Moreau hybrids walking around. Some speculate that science may be further along than believed and that we have some hybrids (genetic or tech) today.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. I have always thought there is a possibility that sentient beings exist in the ocean of gases that is our atmosphere. They may not be visible to us in the spectrum we normally see. From time to time when the conditions are just right people see them in the sky and mistake them for alien spacecraft. They might dip down from Earth orbit into our skies and swim right back out.

[edit on 23-5-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

[edit on 23-5-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
from wikipedia...

Sentience refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The possession of sapience is not a necessity. The word sentient is often confused with the word sapient, which can connote knowledge, consciousness, or apperception. The root of the confusion is that the word conscious has a number of different usages in English. The two words can be distinguished by looking at their Latin roots: sentire, "to feel"; and sapere, "to know".

Sentience is the ability to sense. It is separate from, and not dependent on, aspects of consciousness.

new topics

top topics

join