It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO in John Wayne movie "Rio Grande"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I did a search and didn't see anyhting for this. It's a UFO caught in the John Wayne Movie "Rio Grande" See the movie for more details. Pretty interesting find.

Link to video

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
INteresting. At one point it looked as if the object split into two objects. One was fainter than the other and traveled relatively close to the other object so maybe it's the film or something. The way it is zipping around certainly reminds me of some other UFO footage that you see.

The UFO's were probably wondering, "what the heck is that lady doing ironing outside"?

[edit on 14-5-2007 by Moserious]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Either that or they were to shy to get John Wayne's autograph.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I posted this remark on the video also:

"If you watch from 0:50 the UFO appears in the screen again and at 0:56 when the woman walks the UFO follows the camera. I wouldn't call this a UFO. It moves too smoothy with the camera."

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It really looks like a studio shot with a matte painting background. The 'UFO' could just be a reflection off of some equipment.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brxan
I posted this remark on the video also:

"If you watch from 0:50 the UFO appears in the screen again and at 0:56 when the woman walks the UFO follows the camera. I wouldn't call this a UFO. It moves too smoothy with the camera."

I kind of see what you are talking about. A better quality shot of the scene would be nice. I'll see if I can find one somewhere. Youtube video's are pretty grainy to begin with.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
interesting. I have no idea what to say about it though. The film is so old and so grainy. It could be anything. But it definately is interesting. Good find!

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I read some where on another site that this was a stunt by some people trying to promote a sci-fi picture they wanted to put out.

This was in an interview with an actress who worked with The Duke.

You might want to look up that angle.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
this may interest you, is it true I don't know but it does seem reasonable or a cover up ;D

John Wayne 'Rio Grande'Movie UFO Solved?

The true explanation comes from a onetime film festival attendee, Gary Kramer, who recalls talking to actor Walter Reed in Knoxville one evening where he told the story about how Herbert J. Yates found out the Lydecker Brothers, under contract with Republic for special effects work, were being used by John Ford to do similar work on "Rio Grande."

When Yates learned the Lydeckers were going to Utah with Ford, he asked him to take along one of their miniature flying saucers that was going to be used in the Republic serial "Flying Disc Man from Mars" (in which Read starred) which was soon to begin shooting. Yates hoped to get some realistic looking shots of the flying saucer darting above the Monument Valley landscape. Actually, the miniature was not that small, about six feet around.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Doesn't this portion of the movie look like it was shot
on a sound stage? Everything is so dead still in the
background. No wind, insects, clouds...

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Doesn't this portion of the movie look like it was shot on a sound stage?

Now that you mention it .. you are right .. it does seem that way.
Of course, the film is so old and grainy that it could be outside.
But you could be right. It could be a sound stage and the background
is a painted set.

Good point.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brxan

When you zoom in, you can definately see the object moving within the camera shot. It may in fact follow the woman but I don't think it is anything on lense.

If you look close enough, it appears to be in front of something... a tree/bush, hard to tell but it certainly looks to be in the forefront of something.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
From memory I'm pretty sure that this scene was shot on an indoor set but I'll pull out my DVD when I get home and check.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I dont think it's a UFO, you can tell that the background is just a painted set.

Mikey

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I hate to rain on the parade, but hummingbirds move in that fashion, and it is near a tree. Since I can't see it clearly, it is in fact a UFO. But if I had to guess what it was, I'd say it's a hummingbird.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Looks like a sound stage and the ufo seems to move like a moth. Besides the film Arlington Road, I havn't heard of ufos accidentaly getting in a movie.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, I've had a long look at the DVD and I have to say that it's not entirely conclusive.

I would be fairly confident that it's a sound stage shot but unlike many of the era it's pretty convincing so I couldn't rule out a location shot. The UFO itself looks like a reflection of some lights behind the camera being picked up either by part of the set or by the camera body itself, although they weren't supposed to do that.

The story about the model flying saucer sounds pretty fanciful to me, I simply don't believe that anyone had a six foot RC disk in 1950 that could perform in anything like that way when almost all special effects were still relying on models on wires.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectionist
Looks like a sound stage and the ufo seems to move like a moth. Besides the film Arlington Road, I havn't heard of ufos accidentaly getting in a movie.

Could you post some information about this Arlington Road UFO? After trolling around the 'net and IMDB real fast I couldn't find anything about it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Sorry guys but that is a sound stage. It is a set made up in a warehouse. The light you see it more than likely a reflection cast off other lights onto the painted background. Nothing in that scene is real except for the actors. Everything is a prop.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Could you post some information about this Arlington Road UFO? After trolling around the 'net and IMDB real fast I couldn't find anything about it.

lol i also looked for about 10 minutes couldnt find anything either.

i would also like to see this UFO

thanks in advance

top topics

<<   2 >>

join