It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Scientology A Religion or a Secret Cuilt/Society

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Im wondering if any members in ATS knows alot about Scientology and the accusations that it is not a religion but is a secret Cult/Society.

On reading a recent article on the bbc website, it has got me interested in reading up on Scientology, is it as bad as some have cliamed it is?

A Panorama Documentry into Scientology, has shown it to be secret, abrupt, and sometime members of this so called religion being threatning, towards anyone asking questions, or investigating anything about this religion.

While making our BBC Panorama film "Scientology and Me" I have been shouted at, spied on, had my hotel invaded at midnight, denounced as a "bigot" by star Scientologists, brain-washed - that is how it felt to me - in a mock up of a Nazi-style torture chamber and chased round the streets of Los Angeles by sinister strangers

The quote is an excerp fromthe article on the BBC News Website, there is also a video clip on it where the reporter looses his temper with some guy fromthe religion of scientology....

BBC Article

I thought I would open a discussion about this to understand a little but more about it, and also to read if any other members have had any dealings or are involved with scientology? Also I would like to hear other members views on this subject. Thanxs in advance.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Scientology is evil to the core.

www.sc-i-r-s-ology.pair.com...

www.xenu.net...

Jon Krakauer wrote a book about Mormons. He said you couldn't write a novel about Mormons; you would have to interrupt the story every 2 or 3 pages to explain Mormon beliefs and behaviors. Same thing with $cientology, it takes years of study to make any sense of it.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Scientology is insane....
It's like religion but takes even less research to prove it's complete bull#.
It's just so OBVIOUS!!
At least other religious are clouded and obscured and open to interpretation.
This one is just openly stupid.

But the WORST part is, that it's growing?!
Just blow the world up already, we deserve it lol

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm not an expert on it all I know it was created by a Sci-fi author who was quoted saying the only way to get rich is to create your own religion.

It would be cool to chat with one someday to get their input.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Thanxs to yous who have responded to my quetions so far....

There is alot of info on scientology, I suppose I should have an open mind and read both sides before I come to my own conlusion. I will be recording the Panorama show which is being shown on the BBC tonight.

I have looked on the you tube site, there is alot of video/films clips of the antics of the people from this religion. They look rather intimidating to the least.

Here is another link on you tube, confrontation between two main players in the documentry:

Video Clip

One thing is for sure this is going to take hours to read about

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
lots of "religions" classified for tax exemptions are cults...
the definition of a cult is best done from a socialogical perspective I believe.

Ronald Enroth is professor of sociology at Westmont College, Santa Barbara. As a sociologist, his definition covers sociological rather than theological points.

The nine points are:
1. Authoritarian
2. Oppositional
3. Exclusivistic
4. Legalistic
5. Subjective
6. Persecution-Conscious
7. Sanction-Oriented
8. Esoteric
9. Antisacerdotal

here is one for JW's

www.dtl.org...
www.dtl.org...

I hope it helps define a cult.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I would recommend that you watch this:

video.google.co.uk...

It's hilarious and fairly interesting.

I reckon Sweeney has gone all out to attack Scientology and not given an unbiased, objective view of the movement.

I myself think that anybody who is willing to give that much money to hear the truth from a Sci-fi writer deserves to believe it. If I had paid about a £500,000 to find myself questioning what I was told than I'd be mighty peeved.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
To the people at the very bottom Scientology is a Cult.
To the few at the vey top, Scientology is a business.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I had read somewhere that it was created as a bet between Ron Hubbard (?) and someone else. L. Ron Hubbard the author of Dianetics bet another guy he could get a mass following by creating this "religion".
I don't know if it's true or not but my belief about any religion is this.
The search should always be for truth and unconditional love. As humans this is what we must strive for.

If we do this then we cannot possibly fight amongst ourselves over which "religion" is the foundation of that truth. That is the falsehood - religion in itself.

You cannot possibly become enlightened while pointing a finger at the other religions and saying they are wrong and cannot possibly make it to the pearly gates because they believe wrong.

IMO though with Scientology it's a cult.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Obviously, from my screen name you can infer that I am Christian, and although people of other faiths/religions may not believe as I do, I have respect for their beliefs, and other religions and theologies have always been of interest to me.However my tolerance ends when I see blatant evil.Scientology is BAD.If you speak out against it they consider you a "SP" or suppressive person, basically Hubbard's word for an enemy of scientology. A suppressive person may be deprived of goods, threatened,have their lawn picketed on, be injured,or sued into submission

www.xenu.net...

. There have been several deaths as a result of scientology, Most notably Lisa McPherson.

Here is a site about her death www.lisamcpherson.org...

Here is an educational page (Not run by the CO$ obviously) that teaches a lot about them: www.xenu.net...

They run a lot of Clearwater Fl ;

www.xenutv.com...

Here are some videos that show the extent that they go to

www.xenutv.com...

www.xenutv.com...

Here is an ex/member of scientology that has a site

www.lermanet.com...

People may think that they are getting help from scientology but in all truth they have thought/mind control techniques used on them, a large amount of them sign 1 billion year service contracts to the church, it has them work and accept courses in lieu of payment, they have extended courses to people that cost tens of thousands of dollars and loaned them the money, which would never be repaid except if you leave the church then they sue you for it.Scientology bilks people out of money and destroys lives.

You can find out a lot about the church on www.xenu.net...

All of their "tech" is copywritten material and there have been cases where people had scientolgy courses (that people pay tens of thousands of dollars for ) saved on their computer and it was actionable against them due to the material being under copyright.

They are taught to "always attack and never defend" against their critics.

I hope some of those links helped you out, and if you are looking for enlightment don't join scientology .

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
I had read somewhere that it was created as a bet between Ron Hubbard (?) and someone else. L. Ron Hubbard the author of Dianetics bet another guy he could get a mass following by creating this "religion".
I don't know if it's true or not but my belief about any religion is this.
The search should always be for truth and unconditional love. As humans this is what we must strive for.

If we do this then we cannot possibly fight amongst ourselves over which "religion" is the foundation of that truth. That is the falsehood - religion in itself.

You cannot possibly become enlightened while pointing a finger at the other religions and saying they are wrong and cannot possibly make it to the pearly gates because they believe wrong.

IMO though with Scientology it's a cult.

Yes it started as a bet between Hubbard and sci fi author Isaac Asimov, Hubbard believed that people are so stupid that they would believe in anything, and he bet that he could start his own religion and amass followers.

He also had been quoted as saying, as a poster above I believe said that if you want money the best way is to start a religion.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I've come to the conclusion that no one on ATS is actually interested in the truth about Scientology, they're only interested in the dirt and scandal.
That being the case, I've stopped posting in threads like these due to the total lack of interest in my posts.

I spent time on staff at an Org. in Canada, and then joined the Sea Org. in Los Angeles as part of the Religious Freedom Crusade. I worked at Celebrity Center for almost two years, and spent time at the Fort Harrison. I'm probably the most knowledgeable person about the inner workings of Scientology that posts here on ATS, but people don't want to hear anything good about this organization, and are unwilling to even do basic research other than reading Operation Clambake.

Most of what you read on these boards is just the same old crap that keeps getting regurgitated over and over again. You may as well go back and read some of the older threads, because it's all been said before.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Anxiety - I am sorry you feel that way but you must understand that to people like myself a religion any religion that requires such extreme measures and then condemns the person that lacks understanding will be ridiculed and be considered evil.

You sound as if you are privy to inside information being with the Sea Org. I had read some time ago written by a person that was also a member of the Sea Org their insight into this religion and they brought to light many infractions about the organization through their own experiences.

I think that most associate Scientology now thanks to Tom Cruise. He makes an a** of himself and has been quoted as condeming others beliefs. I think that all religions are biased to their own beliefs, meaning that it's all in the interpretation.

People just typically don't have tolerances for anything outside their own religion and that's what makes it fishy to me.

Globally we should all be in search of what is truth in ourselves and behave accordingly. We should not have to subscribe to any one belief system or religion to accend to the creator.

I think all religion is manmade and geared towards what the churches teach you to believe. It's too faulty for me all of it.

However, with that said Scientology specifically is very totalitarian in it's manner and I think that people associated that with being very cultish.
Heaven's Gate for example.
From what I have read it appears to be a very members only club and extreme in it's teachings. IMHO.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Do you think that it is ethical to try to get people to spill their innermost fears,regrets,and activities, and then put it in a file about that individual, and use it to destroy their life/friendships/relationships if they choose to leave your religion? ( and I am really giving you the benefit of doubt in calling it a religion, due to the fact that you were respectful to me).

You wouldn't find a psychologist or psychoanalyst anywhere that could do that without losing his license, and being fined in the very least.

Cug

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by brotherforchrist
However my tolerance ends when I see blatant evil.Scientology is BAD.If you speak out against it they consider you a "SP" or suppressive person, basically Hubbard's word for an enemy of scientology. A suppressive person may be deprived of goods, threatened,have their lawn picketed on, be injured,or sued into submission

Sounds like a different word for heretic. Many of the big religions have done or still do the same. Should we label them a cult or evil? I once worked for a very small family run company that hired primarily from their church, somehow the word got around that I was an "evil" occultist and they did everything in their power to make it an uncomfortable workplace. notes on my car, "clerical" errors causing the loss of pay, and on and on. Should all evangelical Christians be labeled because of the actions of these people?

. There have been several deaths as a result of scientology, Most notably Lisa McPherson.

Is it the result of Scientology, or that of some followers? How wide is the brush you are painting them with? If the parents of a ill child refuses medical treatment on the grounds that God will take care of things and the child later dies, shall we blame all Christians? or shall we blame the whole of Islam for the actions of a few terrorists?

They run a lot of Clearwater Fl ;

and the Mormons control a lot of salt lake city, and other christians controll the rest of the US.

People may think that they are getting help from scientology but in all truth they have thought/mind control techniques used on them, a large amount of them sign 1 billion year service contracts to the church,

Do you not devote your life/afterlife to Christ? is a billion years too long for your commitment?

Scientology bilks people out of money and destroys lives.

Peter popoff, Jim Bakker, etc.. again shall we stop Christians before this gets out of hand?

You can find out a lot about the church on www.xenu.net...

Well you can find out one side of the story there.. I don't think you would like freemasonrywatch.org to be someones only source of Masonic info.

I'll admit to be slightly touchy on the subject, as there are plenty of people who would be happy to label my religion as an evil cult and work to outlaw it.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I've come to the conclusion that no one on ATS is actually interested in the truth about Scientology, they're only interested in the dirt and scandal.

This I agree with.

That's the problem with the public in general. They are ignorant to the subject and, unfortunately, wish to remain so.

I am no scientologist but I cannot see what makes it any worse than many other religions. The actions of Christians/Catholics/Protestants throughout history is more horrific than anything that the scientologists could possibly be accused of.

Perhaps the clandestine(due to "sacred" information) behaviour provokes fear. People are afraid of what they don't know. They mock what they don't understand. It is easier than understanding.

Seriously watch this video:

video.google.co.uk...

It's not too long and, although it doesn't go too deeply into the religion, it gives a fair account of the basics of what it's all about. Take a look. You might even crack a smile.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
double post

blame the Church of Scientology.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by Crakeur]

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
some interesting info on the CoS
ikebomber.net...
www.scientomogy.com...

Any group that requires money to advance to higher levels is, in my eyes, a cult. Any group that tells you, after you have "donated" huge sums of money, that you can fly is a group I want to party with.

Tom Cruise can heal with his touch. Tom Cruise can fly. So he thinks.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
some interesting info on the CoS
ikebomber.net...
www.scientomogy.com...

Those are some very two sided views in there...

the second one has a link that states "click here: stop scientology"

Did you lose someone to them or something?

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
Did you lose someone to them or something?

not my sites. just links with info on how you can buy your way to flying and other nifty tricks via the Church of Scientology.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join