It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Jets Intercept Russian Planes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

RAF Jets Intercept Russian Planes

news.bbc.co.uk

Tornado F3 jets from RAF Leuchars in Fife were sent to intercept two Russian aircraft spotted observing a Royal Navy exercise, it has emerged.

The jets were scrambled after the foreign planes were detected by radar in the skies over the Outer Hebrides.

They were identified as Russian Bear Foxtrot planes, commonly seen by RAF pilots during the Cold War.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Interesting...

I didn't realise this sort of thing still happened. But, one can see why the Russians were interested, seeing as it was a large live fire exercise involving NATO countries.

Still, it is a provocative move by the Russians and maybe a sign of them wanting to flex some muscle with recent speding increases to their military.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Very interesting. I missed this one.

Just goes to show that we still need to keep an eye on our Russian friends even though the Cold War is over.

There's another piece with a bit more detail here.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
From you link Ste2652:

Interceptions of a friendlier nature became common- place as superpower tensions thawed in the late-1980s. RAF and Russian aircrew would then hold up Playboy centrefolds against the cockpit canopies of their aircraft as they passed each other.

nice to see that, even during the Cold War, sense of humour prevailed. I think that, in any worse circumstances, keeping your wits and remaining cool about the whole thing would probably save many lives. Being twitchy and on edge could cause a mistake.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Its never gone away TBH, it just thinned out an awful lot, which is why you don't hear about it anymore.

Like you said Stu, they were probably very curious. We would have done the same thing, had the shoe been on the other foot.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
So Russian military planes entered UK airspace without permission?

Provocative to say the least. I wonder what they were up to?

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
No, Russian aircraft were intercepted in international airspace whilst observing a naval exercise, which they are perfectly entitled to do. It's no different to our electronics intel aircraft flying along close to someone else's borders taking a peek.

There's certainly nothing provocative in it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Both Russia and NATO still to this day violate or fly very close to Finnish airspace. I'm not sure why, maybe it's an old habit hard to shake or they see it as a change to upkeep their skills or something. It wasn't long ago when the Finnish government had to make a formal complaint about this activity to Russia.
So the cold war isn't quite as over as we'd like to think.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
As neformore stated, the Cold War never ended, we just don't hear about it anymore..

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

No, Russian aircraft were intercepted in international airspace whilst observing a naval exercise, which they are perfectly entitled to do. It's no different to our electronics intel aircraft flying along close to someone else's borders taking a peek.

No, they weren't. The exercise was in and around the Hebrides because the aim of NW063 (or Neptune Warrior) is to practice operations in a littoral context. Please read this document for further detail

International waters is the High Seas, ie; 200+ miles out from the mainland. Inside of 200 miles (except in cases where you overlap with another country, for which there will be agreements) is the countries EXCLUSIVE economic area. The EEZ falls under the jurisdiction and laws of the concerned country.

There is also the 24 mile contiguous zone, which is regarded as an extension of territorial jurisdiction and countries can refuse passage here. Then there is the 12 mile limit of territorial waters.

Also, this exercise too place last Oct-Nov, so I'm surprised it's only just been mentioned now.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Really what counts is the 12 mile territorial limit, you cannot consider passage in the 200 mile EEZ as a violation of territorial waters and or air space. Still as others have pointed out this happened with a lot more frequency during the cold war but it still occurs even to his day (albeit less often). Generally you don't hear about it (unless something drastic happens) because it just military jousting...

Still, the "Bear" seems to be a Russian favorite to deploy, here is a picture of one intercepted last year near Alaskan air space...

Link

apc

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Are they certain they were even Russian? I mean you can buy their planes off eBay.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Maybe the russians were doing a reconnaissance exercise on the naval exercise? Or maybe it can be a plain reconnaissance on their naval capabilities?

No-one will ever know... except if your in the military (on either side).

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Very interesting to say the least. Is something you do not hear about nowadays...

I wonder if the UK Gov will launch a protest to the Russians....

An wondering if the tornadoes could keep up with the russian aircraft, aftrall they are slow are they not

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Are they certain they were even Russian? I mean you can buy their planes off eBay.

Ha ha ha ha! There, I feel better now.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
An wondering if the tornadoes could keep up with the russian aircraft, aftrall they are slow are they not

Uhh the fastest ground attack bomber in the world....rather nippy IMO...

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Well, the Strike Eagles does (theoretically) have a top speed of Mach ~2.5, a bit faster than the Tornado, I mention this just so I can be a pain...

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If the Bears get intercepted by Tornadoes just for observation, what hope do they have in a REAL war?

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by devilwasp

Well, the Strike Eagles does (theoretically) have a top speed of Mach ~2.5, a bit faster than the Tornado, I mention this just so I can be a pain...

I think DW is referencing the claim of it being the fastest ground attack bomber at low level. The F-15 is probably much faster at altitude, but I believe the RAF's claim stems from doing mach 1 about 3 feet off the floor, which they seem to like doing.... Nutty buggers...

Whether the claim is true or not, I do not know...

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
To me this is sort of a non story. It mostly inflames emotions of people who dont know any better.

We still spy on the Russians. We spy on the Canadians and monitor everyones progress and buisness when we can or desire. We spy on everyone ..our friends as well as our enemies. No surprise here once you learn to think outside the blocks which pass for thinking today. Do you think other governments are not doing the same??? Think it through carefully!!! Not emotionally.

In the olde days the Russians used to fly from thier bases up north (Murmansk I think) and down the gap between the UK and Iceland or down the gap to the Greenland/Iceland gap.

As I recall these bear Foxtrots have a very long range and are capable of flying nonstop all the day down the gap to Cuba. Quite a distance.

My first question in my mind was...were they going down to Cuba.

Iceland ...next to Alaska for the US military was one of the most active air intercept areas in the world for encountering thet Soviets in the olde days.
No surprise to me that they would still be flying this gap.

I tried to look up the olde base in Keflavik, Iceland where I spent a year with the US Air Force. I often worked around the Alert Barns out there. I wanted to see them again on Google Earth but you could not do much magnification of the island. It is not set to do close up views. It blocks one out. To bad. I wanted to see the base again ..close up.

We often monitor the military maneuvers of many countrys..including the Russians today. Nothing has changed except some of the urgency has been transfered elsewhere. No surprise that the Russians would still be intrested in what we or our allies are doing.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join