It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Dimension...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This might sound really stupid...
Breaking the Sound barrier [Done]
Breaking the light barrier [incomplete]

Would it be possible for something to go so damn fast, that it would cross over to another dimension?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Read some articles about M-theory or buy the book "The Universe in a nutshell" by Stephen Hawking

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monk
This might sound really stupid...
Breaking the Sound barrier [Done]
Breaking the light barrier [incomplete]

Would it be possible for something to go so damn fast, that it would cross over to another dimension?

Breaking the light barrier is a little different then sound. Its not so much incomplete as impossible based on alll current theories. At best one might side step space-time and effectivly break it, but without ever traveling faster then light. Anyways....

As to your question, it depends onwhat you mean by dimension. If matter was accelerated to the speed of light it would effectivly drop down one dimention, though it would also become an infinite mass.

Basicly the answer is no.

Velocity of matter can not reach/excede the speed of light, nor transverse dimensions based on current scientific knowledge and theory.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agnis
Read some articles about M-theory or buy the book "The Universe in a nutshell" by Stephen Hawking

This is what i was saying about definition of dimention.

But even in M-theory velocity is not a factor in dimentions.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
thats interesting
Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yeah - some people have wonder if it is possible to travel through time by going faster than light. That may or may not be true - it is impossible due to E=MC squared. This says that travelling at lightspeed is impossible:

E=MC squared means that energy equals mass. The faster you travel, the larger your mass, and the more energy you use up. At lightspeed you have an infinite mass which requires an infintie amount of energy - it's impossible.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
time travel through speed IS possible, using relativity, but only one direction - forward, traveling back is much harder

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRenegade
At lightspeed you have an infinite mass which requires an infintie amount of energy - it's impossible.

One thing I've never read about is why you have an infinite mass when you travel at the speed of light. Any answers???

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
very interesting, wut you guys are telling is that it is impossible for there to be other dimension than ours. now if there were other dimensions than ours, wouldnt there be travel between them???? and i think wut he means, when he said "travel through dimensions" i think he means traveling through this lvl of dimension but into different universes. where there is a positive, there is a negative such as this universe we are in- supposed we are positive, wouldnt there be a negative??? there has to be. there has to be an opposite such as south and north poles. the front of our face and the back. front of our hand and the back. the power of us to walk foward and backward. now there are reasons for all of this i know, but just use them as examples of there being opposites dimensions as ours.
and yes i do think that travel through dimension lvls such as 3D and 2D is impossible. we wouldnt be able to coexist with the current environment.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I belive that going between dimentions has nothing to to with speed i.e. speed of travel. How can you say how fast you are going in space anyways, where would you measure from? Isn't the universe expanding, so wouldn't the referance points alwias be changing. If you think about it, we are all moving, all the time, our earth on its axis, and arround the sun, and our solar system in the galaxy, and our galaxy is moving away from other galaxys. Shouldn't that mean we are all traveling though time, at about the same speed. I don't think dimentions are a speed thing, persay, but a rate of vibration thing. We know that everything in the universe vibrates at a certant frequency, parts in our dimention are either the same or close to our own vibration. That is why there is so much dark matter in the universe, we can't idendify or find 95% of what is out (according to what should be out there) there because it exists in a different dimention, possibly from being passed through a black hole or something. Just my theory.
BTW Bandit, it is not impossible, to travel at the speed of light, or faster. It has already been proven that there is atleast faster than light commuinication between particles, and I think they proved that gravity travels at 14x speed of light.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wgatenson
I don't think dimentions are a speed thing, persay, but a rate of vibration thing. We know that everything in the universe vibrates at a certant frequency, parts in our dimention are either the same or close to our own vibration.

And BINGO!!! was his name. I always discussed here on ATS, that traveling through dimensions will most probably have to do with vibrational frequency.

BTW Bandit, it is not impossible, to travel at the speed of light, or faster. It has already been proven that there is atleast faster than light commuinication between particles, and I think they proved that gravity travels at 14x speed of light.

I know about the part about particles, that's been observed in quantum physics. But what your source of the proof for the speed of gravity???

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yes, but what if C-A-T really spelled DOG?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kraken
Yes, but what if C-A-T really spelled DOG?

than it wouldnt make much sense would it?? and wut does this have to do with dimensions???

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
One thing I've never read about is why you have an infinite mass when you travel at the speed of light. Any answers???

If you'll have read my post properly you'll have noticed I mentioned that the faster you get - the larger your mass (again something to do with relativity).

Anyways, to do with speed through dimensions and all this crap - you're all thinking about it completely wrong. You're trying to conceive something which we cannot by putting it into 'speed' and 'distance' theories. It is quite probable that we cannot 'travel' across these dimensions (if they exist). We would probably not be able to think about what other dimensions are like. It's hard to explain, but it can kind of be looked at like a blind man wondering what sight is like (considering he's always been blind) - he can't. He's never experienced it, so cannot conceive what it's like. The closest he can get is to compare to to other senses which would be way off the mark. It could also be looked at like trying to think of a new colour. Go on - try - you'll never do it in a million years.

People try to think of dimensions as places. Not all dimensions are 'space' dimensions (as in they have a physical space, although they would not use our three dimensions so we could not conceive them). There may be other dimensions which are not 'space'. Take time for an example - it is considered by many to be the fourth dimension.

Now I saw on TV about the String Theory, which states that there are 11 dimensions, and something like only 6 of them are 'space' dimensions. The rest are concepts like time, but we cannot dream what they are.

Even if we found a way to travel to another of the 6 'space' dimensions, we would not be able to exist in them without our 3. We would probably explode or just seise to exist.

I have to say that travelling across dimensions is seemingly impossible...

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I severly doubt it

new topics

top topics

join