It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Views on 'Happiness'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
A recent 9MSN article peaked my interest regarding 'happiness'.

In my opinion, the key to happiness is being confident about ones state of existence. The article revolves around money which is a little sad. I have never lived in 'poverty', though my family has never had much money until recently as a result of inheritances. Personally, some of the best times I've had were when I was living on (Australian) minimum wages out on my own. I do realise that conditions here are much better than many other parts of the world. My point being, materialism has never, and will never be something I will let control me.

The 'experts' regarding such matters make me laugh.

For me the keys to happiness:

* Having a stable living environment.
* Having people that care for you. Having a positive social environment.
* Having the opportunity to fulfill ones dreams (obviously to a certain extent)

What do you think are the keys to being happy?

(Disclosure doesn't count
)

Happiness

I realise this is probably a touchy subject and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I am interested in your views all the same.

mod edit: title spelling

[edit on 8-5-2007 by sanctum]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I read the whole article, and found that the whole point it was making was that economics just cannot finally evaulate happiness; that being rich doesn't make us happy. My sense of the article was a lot different than yours.

I think happiness is the wrong measure, anyway. I don't think happiness is what keeps us alive and motivated. Happiness is a transitory state that lasts between 5 and 30 minutes.

For me, (and the other people I watch) the secret to life is . . . meaning.

Like the example of children in the article, I think that having kids actually leads to less happiness. So why to people do it? Especially repeat offenders like myself? Because raising children has meaning that outweighs the work and heartache involved.

Some people derive their self-definition from their work. They aren't even working to get rich, but to define who they are. In other words, they are striving to be their best because it gives them meaning. Money is just the frosting.

I get personal happiness from meaning. In my little bit of spare time, I volunteer at a local homeless shelter, and am teaching myself yet another language. Why do I bother with these things? because they give my life meaning. And I get joy from them that doesn't "cost" money.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Happiness is akin to insanity in that the chemical secretions in the brain are the determining factor.

If you got the right juice, it's all good.

But "happiness from a political standpoint"...........
Fascists don't seem that happy to me

[edit on 8-5-2007 by whaaa]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I often wonder if i've ever been happy. Of course i have. But the word implies a constant state of euphoria.....as in being sad, its constant pretty much i would say until you snap out of it. I dont know what i'm sayin'
except all i want is to be left alone, have no chaos, be around positive people who love me, etc.

I guess i equate happiness with peace. Money comes in very handy and i would just want the right amount to live a comfortable life. If i had tons of money and chaos in my life, i certainly would not be happy. A Pink cellular phone and lots of bling just dont create happiness.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I must clarify.

It wasn't really concentrating on money, rather insinuating monetary concepts... eg. The economics of happiness.

I have been through bouts of depression and find it interesting to hear people's views none the less.

*** My apologies for my spelling mistake in the title, I type fast and feel a little embarrassed about it actually.

Whaa, I agree that it has a lot to do with chemical balances. Whether or not such chemical imbalances can be remedied with chemicals is another story entirely.

I think what I really want to know is what makes you happy. I would also like to know why this makes you happy.

My perspective has come from a slighly depressed persons point of view. I admittedly have a pessimistic view of things, but then again my situation at the moment dictates my views.

I am very interested in other people's views if they feel open enough to discuss.

Personally, I find this a very interesting concept. It would be good to hear people speak up rather than referring to existing materials.

For me, happiness is a state of non-depression.

I would like to make the point that my user name is meant to be VERY sarcastic. Too late now

Dr. Strangecraft, excellent post. Feelings of true happiness do only last a very short period, yet I wonder how many people are left with that sense of meaning after their elation has dissipated?

[edit on 8-5-2007 by seenitall]

[edit on 8-5-2007 by seenitall]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I believe there are three keys to happiness.

1. Good family and Friends.
2. Money - you don't need a lot of it but you need enough.
3. Good Health.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I believe that happiness is similar to beauty. It is different for everyone. To try and quantify it would be an exercise in futility.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
To me, I find being useful makes me happy.

If I'm short on work, or simply of no use to anyone at the time, I get depressed. But if someone needs my abilities, or I have meaningful work, then I'm as happy as a pig in ****.

It's probably different for everyone, but I can definately agree that finances do not depict happiness. I've been well off many times financially... and it didn't make me happy. Actually, the excessive money I had, meant I could relax for a while... anyone who knows me, knows I DONT relax well. I just get bored.

I'd rather be scraping by with a meaningful purpose, than to be rich.

new topics

top topics

join