It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Continent Discovered In Antarctic Oceans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Small Continent Discovered In Antarctic Oceans

www.ufoarea.com

The "Polarstern" (The Polar Star"), with a team of scientists on board is back home in Bremerhaven after a 19-month long research expedition to Antarctica. The mission was very successful. The researchers have discovered a mini-continent that was connected with India in very ancient times. The discovery was made deep under the Antarctic southern oceans. The "Polarstern", which began his missions in 1982, is the most important German research and supply vessel operating in the regions polar water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
An interesting new discovery

www.ufoarea.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
thats great!!!
too bad that its under water though, when i first read the heading i thought
YES! NEW SPECIES OF ANIMALS! but then i read that its under water. damn!
oh well still a good find

Roswell.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This site is questionable to say the least. So far many threads here on ATS with the website as the source, however some were found to not be true. Regarding this report, here is the official website of the POLARSTERN, a German icebreaker. Links on the site include latest reports from the latest expedition. The find of a new sub-continent is not found in the reporting area of the website.

The only news item of note even CLOSE to the reported by ufoarea.com is the finding of a new SEAMOUNT which Polarstern team has named IPY-Seamount.

This seamount is most likely the from volcanic activity and is approx 1350m in height...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Good post Johnmike. The following article from the wiki that was posted shows that the plateau was discovered in 1999 and not by the ship in the article as stated! It is the Kerguelen Plateau

AUSTIN, Texas—Researchers from The University of Texas at Austin's Institute for Geophysics (UTIG) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) recently led a team of 28 scientists representing eight countries on an expedition on which they discovered a large underwater plateau in the Indian Ocean that once was a small continent above sea level.

article found here:
www1.cc.utexas.edu...

So the ufoarea.com site is clearly trying to mis-lead disinform or something.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
just because a site is alternative it doesn't mean they are misleading.

here is a press release on this discovery.
rawstory.com...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrick_D
just because a site is alternative it doesn't mean they are misleading.

here is a press release on this discovery.
rawstory.com...

I never made a statement discounting the findings of all alternative websites have I? I'm only questioning this story which you posted. I'm also not going to ignore past findings of stories that have been proved to be fictional from this site. Don't believe everything you read on the internet as being true regardless of what TYPE of site it is.

Fact is the story portrays that the discovery of the Plateau is recent new news, whereas it obviously is not, it was discovered by completely different group way back in 1999. Now how do you resolve this fact?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well, you tell me. I read so much BS in ordinary newspapers every day.
Some news stories are true some are not. I suppose news sites are in a hurry. This is not the issue here.

greatlakes you said: "Don't believe everything you read on the internet as being true regardless of what TYPE of site it is"
I agree with you on that. There are many things out there which are not true.

I posted that story because I found it interesting and as far I'm concerned I searched a little and found the press release I also posted. Obviously the original story was based on the press release, which is from May 4, 2007.
Perhaps the scientists were unaware of a previous discovery and that's why they issued this press release.
Now how do you resolve this fact? Are you saying the scientists are lying?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Good find...The article is similar though to the ufoarea one. I have an email into the actual group in regards to the story, hopefully they will reply.

Scientists lie, reporters lie...Also stretch the truth sometimes. Things can also be taken out of context and a story can be made from different seemingly legit sources.

And I found an image which seems to be the original one before ufo area added graphics to it:

[edit on 6-5-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I also found two more links from newspapers. Basically they are just telling the same story. I think more will come on this story soon. Here are two more:

the first one is from Brisbane Times
brisbanetimes.com.au

the second comes from Kalinga Times
kalingatimes.com

Peace

Mod Edit: Link format edited. Please review this post.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Interesting, but I think the best name for it would have to have been R'lyeh. I guess the stars just were not right.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patrick_D.
Perhaps the scientists were unaware of a previous discovery and that's why they issued this press release.

Speaking as someone who works with a scientist, I can say that's a resounding "no." When they go out to an area, the FIRST thing they do is spend time in the research libraries and go over everything that's known about the area.

Now how do you resolve this fact? Are you saying the scientists are lying?

I think the evidence points to "newspaper reporters can't read". The scientists I've worked with have had unkind things to say about what happens to their statements when a reporter gets ahold of them.

Here's the breakdown:
1999 - they found the seamount (an elevation)
2000-2007 - a few explorations were done
2007 - a more thorough exploration was done that showed more detail about the area. This included the findings that it's a piece of lost continental crust and that (like other pieces of continental crust around the globe) it's submerged. This piece of crust was joined to India at one time (perhaps as far back as the Jurassic, which would make it part of the old Gondwanaland (if memory serves.)) After separating, a number of volcanos were formed along the area of separation (plate boundary) and there's a nice volcanic history there.

BUT...the reporters focused on "OMG! NEW CONTINENT!" and actually didn't understand what was said. The rawstory link pretty much covers it. The UFO group makes it worse by focusing on the "OMG! NEW CONTINENT" bit and not understanding what the original reporter (who didn't focus well on what the scientists said) said in the first place.

So we have two errors in understanding making that report somewhat nonsensical.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by roswell1
thats great!!!
too bad that its under water though, when i first read the heading i thought
YES! NEW SPECIES OF ANIMALS! but then i read that its under water. damn!
oh well still a good find

Roswell.

Like you'd find a brand new continent now adays lol

Cool news though

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Sorry Bird, but I couldn't find the phrase "New Continent" in the link I posted. It says the same as the press release. I see no harm in that. Never mind, but isn't this how all media works. I often see remarkable titles in newspapers. I'm not a reporter, just a reader, but I guess this is what all do because they want people to read their stories. Some of the titles I've seen on yaho news and others are really eyecatching.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
....I think the evidence points to "newspaper reporters can't read". The scientists I've worked with have had unkind things to say about what happens to their statements when a reporter gets ahold of them.....

Reporters are not infallible (neither are scientists for that matter). This reminds me of the story of a TV news sportscaster who was watching TV and saw George Forman win a boxing match. So he reported on the news that night that George Foreman just won a boxing match -- the only problem was the fight that he saw was shown on "ESPN Classics" and was 10 years old. George Foreman was retired and hadn't fought in years.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is great news. It pretty much supports what was said in the video I posted in my "Has Earth Been Growing?" topic

Here's the video:

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ok, I'll say it...

Atlantis?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thanks Byrd! I knew the ehhem 'discovery' was a false reporting, but thanks for closing the gap on the information. The "Plates and Gates project is valid but the PolarStar in actuality only expanded the knowledge of the Plateau as stated.

Patrick_d: Don't let this deter you in postings, keep looking!

[edit on 6-5-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Ok, I'll say it...
Atlantis?

Yes damajikninja, thats why I started picking on this story, for the obvious "Atlantis Found" implications that may have been reached by readers and the possible goal of the writers of the story.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join