It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth aircraft carrier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Not to mention what normally happens on the deck of a carrier, storage of aircraft, re-arming and fueling of aircraft, equipment to move bombs and missle about and towing aircraft, if you moved all that undercover you would seriously reduce the number of aircraft, not increase it to hundreds.

A stealth ship with hundreds of cruise missile would be more possible, hang on actually if in this story you replace aircraft with cruise missile then they already have with
USS Georgia (SSGN-729) - 154 cruise missles

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Stealthy carrier could be possible but as others have said there would be a lot of obstacles to overcome like sound, wake trails, radio energy emissions and the shear size of the thing. I mean an aircraft carrier isn't too easy to hide visually.

I was thinking maybe they have plans for a new small class of aircraft carrier, but not in the traditional sense of a 1000ft behemoth with a crew of 5000. Keep the size down and maximize stealth. Carry say 2-5 aircraft 10 at the very most. Keep the ship size and crew at a minimum and even possibly semi submersible. Maybe instead of a real flight deck/runway just have a catapult launcher so the aircraft would only be launched, and would have to land somewhere else or ditch. I'm thinking like the Japanese WWII submarine aircraft carrier. It could be for VTOL aircraft and Heli's elminating the need for a runway. It's small size would also allow it maneuver in littoral waters and could be used for supporting special ops etc. I have read about the Navy wanting to build a brown water navy as that's where they see a huge need in future conflicts.

On the topic of a stealth aircraft carrier I was wondering about radar looking down from the top vertically, and how it could avoid being detected by by it. From what I understand radar works the best when it has a flat surface to bounce back from. The flight deck of a carrier by nature has to be big a flat so how could it be hidden from radar looking down on it

<< 1   >>

join