It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God, the enemy of the Solipsist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The human mind is a very powerful entity indeed. Consciousness is said to be the child of the sub-consciousness, although it can be said that both work in harmony with eachother symbiotically.

The Solipsist understands that the mind is powerful. The Solipsist sees him or herself as the only creature in existence. Any other humans, animals, cars etc are all in the mind, they are imagined.

Infact, the Solipsist, in their eyes created the universe as a kind of playground, for lack of a better word. The Solipsist, it could be said, created all, including God.

Some say that Solipsism is an egoccentric way of thinking, others say it is a product of isolation and a repetitive and easily prophesized lifestyle.

Now, is it not feasable that you, the viewer of your life through your eyes, are the creator of all? Could your imagination be creating the world, wether you can control it or not? The Solipsist by definition created him/herself.

If you were in a white box, you'd get bored pretty quick, right? Right. So, wouldn't you create a world with language and culture, people and places for you to 'explore'? You could 'forget' everything to 'rediscover' it again and again.

The danger point is this; if you, the creator, created a God type character into your universe, doesn't it stand to reason that this God is dangerous to your existence? Even if the Solipsist IS 'God', making a separate Deity poses some problems.

What if you believed in this Deity, but acted against it's wishes, and subsequently went to some sort of 'hell'? You'd be screwed. Even though you are creating said hell, you may not be able to leave, because you ARE hell.

I know this may be blowing the minds of some, or being mis-interpreted by others, but I'll try to convey it the best way that I can.

If I was God, if I am the true Solipsist, and you are all just phantoms in my head, where does that leave me? I mean sure, you may all have jobs and separate lives, but I don't know that, because I've never met you. Even if I was to meet with you face to face, I could still easily say that I am God, even though I know as a fact that you would not believe it.

So, If the One true creator created something out of his/her control, what would the ramifications be? What would happen if God created another God knowingly or unknowingly, even though the 'Created God' is just an imagined figment of mind?

Isn't the God of the Christians the ultimate Solipsist? He supposedly gave us thought and the knowledge of good and evil.

What if he also created himself, because he could?

Last one, and back to the title of this thread.

If the Solipsist, the only entity in all of existence, created God with all the same powers and all the same authority as the Solipsist, would that mean that the created God has become an enemy that must be destroyed, even if THINKING about killing the created god would result in eternal damnation of the Solipsist??

One more point, does this also make the Solipsist the Antichrist? I mean, think about it, the Solipsist claims to be God, and through direct or indirect influence controls the world?

Thankyou.

[edit on 4-5-2007 by Unrealised]

[edit on 4-5-2007 by Unrealised]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Thats certainly an interesting slant on the philosophy.Maybe God is the solipsists subconscious manifesting itself perhaps in an attempt to remind the solipsist that they are in fact the only one?And the Antichrist of the solipsist would be doubt?There has been quite alot of musing over the very questions you pose and this is why i love solipsism its a real head#@!$.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Azador]

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Azador]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Thats certainly an interesting slant on the philosophy.Maybe God is the solipsists subconscious manifesting itself perhaps in an attempt to remind the solipsist that they are in fact the only one?And the Antichrist of the solipsist would be doubt?There has been quite alot of musing over the very questions you pose and this is why i love solipsism its a real head#@!$.

'to remind the solipsist that they are in fact the only one'.

You, my friend, have helped me open up another door.

Doubt is indeed the enemy of the Solipsist, especially the doubt of others. I mean, my fiancee freaks out when I talk about this subject, because it is such a deadly philosophy in regards to it's (supposed) infallibility.

Mind you, once a person has adopted Solipsism as a way of life, personal doubt can easily be phased out by already believing that you are the one.

Solipsism, I believe, grants a person a certain strength that only a few can muster. Some call it confidence, some call it egotistical.

So, does the Solipsist create adversity in order to develop his/her own inner strength? Is pain beneficial in order to grow? I'd say yes. Infact, I'd say that most would say yes.

Indeed, this is a very broad topic with many facets. Let's hope we get a few more posts in. I could really do with a few more to further my journey.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I have a shiny ball of wax and invented a private language to describe it to myself.

The Solipsist New Testament

Do you understand?

Do you?

I don't.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Once your create something than it must exist; therefore, its no longer merely a figment of your imagination. If its real to you than it is real to everyone else. That is your point right? So lets say you did create another god. That god would be just as powerful and concrete as yourself, since you no longer control its functioning only its creation. I may be a childs father but I am not the child.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I have a shiny ball of wax and invented a private language to describe it to myself.

The Solipsist New Testament

Do you understand?

Do you?

I don't.

Nice touch.

Though, I know that you do indeed understand.

"""I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
Id love you to love me.
Im beggin you to beg me.

I want you to want me.
I need you to need me.
Id love you to love me.
Ill shine up the old brown shoes, put on a brand-new shirt.
Ill get home early from work if you say that you love me.

Didnt i, didnt i, didnt I see you cryin?
Oh, didnt i, didnt i, didnt I see you cryin?
Feelin all alone without a friend, you know you feel like dyin.
Oh, didnt i, didnt i, didnt I see you cryin?"""

It is indeed a cheap Trick.

The poor fellow who is behind it all is probably wondering "how the hell do I stop all of this? When will my dues be paid?"

That's where Slipknot comes in with the line "You can't see California without Marlon Brandos' Eyes. It's all in your head. It's all in my head."

I wonder if Jesus was the Solipsist of his time and incarnation.

Why bother asking you might say. God, please, someone ask.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
Once your create something than it must exist; therefore, its no longer merely a figment of your imagination. If its real to you than it is real to everyone else. That is your point right? So lets say you did create another god. That god would be just as powerful and concrete as yourself, since you no longer control its functioning only its creation. I may be a childs father but I am not the child.

No, not quite. The Solipsist believes that even others around him, other people, the Earth, the Galaxy, the Universe, Time, Space, Life, Death and even himself/herself was created in the mind. Infact, even the mind was created by the mind.

You do make a good point about potential loss of control over your creations, though.

Insert exploding head here ------>

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Unrealised]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Unrealised

Have you ever studied the Mind Only(Chittamatra) School of Buddhism?

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Tamahu]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
Unrealised

Have you ever studied the Mind Only(Chittamatra) School of Buddhism?

[edit on 5-5-2007 by Tamahu]

No, I haven't.

Mind you, I'm just about to. Thankyou kindly.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
nice so where did you come up with solipsism? just curious

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by followerofchrist
nice so where did you come up with solipsism? just curious

It's a philosophy that has many faces. Many different cultures have stumbled upon it's existence.

It makes sense when Jesus said "ye shalt only see the father through me."

Jesus, the world's most famous Solipsist?

Don't make me go there, though.

****Solipsism = (Latin: solus, alone + ipse, self) ****

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
youre a christian though, had it not been for the death of a family member right? well if this solipsism creates doubt then why dwell on it because it may very well be a fiery dart from the devil to get you off track you are to take those doubtful thoughts captive and make them holy

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That's just it. The taking of a 48 year old woman's life is very un-godly in my eyes.

I mean, I try. Believe my, I try hard to see the light side of life. I do believe in Christ and I do believe in God.

Perhaps we can discuss this in more detail. Are these philosophies dangerous to ones faith?

Was Jesus simply a man with a God complex? I don't know. It says he performed miracles, but who knows.

I'm adding you as a friend.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 7-5-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
it is hard for me, it is hard for anyone to constantly walk in faith especially as ungodly this world is becoming but you have to realize that God is with us in these hard times if we fall he is right ther to pick us up again can i ask you a question was she at peace when she past?

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
and to answer your question if these philosophies are dangerous they can be if it causes you to doubt my friend it is almost always the devil going " well lets see if i can make him slip here so i can gain a foothold " and no i really dont believe Jesus had a God complex he was telling everyone not to tell who had done these miracles. you know the way God works is awesome because the path you were on was leading you to death sometimes he makes us experiance things to reveal himself to us in a way that is unbelievable it makes the time when we turn to him that much more meaningful you understand im not trying to be mean or anything

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Not at all, please, do not apologize.

Afterall, Satan IS a wise snake indeed....

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 7-5-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a real gentilemen and scholar aattending church every sunday so that he can twist something around for his gain but he is a defeated foe he was humiliated in the Garden of eden forced on his belly like that forever to strike at our heel and for us to forever to trample him underfoot...he just lost all authority God has made us kings of the earth so if we allow doubt to come in it is like a king allowing an assassin into his kingdom. do you see what im saying? the assassin would not have been able to get at the king otherwise. so he could do nothing UNTIL the king let him in then the assassin had reign over the king.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I think about solipsism quite often, glad to see a thread about it... Honestly, the thought of it has scared me for many years now, although less and less as time goes on.

For me, yeah, if I was God, the first thing I would do is make myself not God. I would relinquish most of my power somehow, but not all of it. So technically, if a solipsist is 'God', and does not wish to be, then solipsism would subsequently be impossible.

Also, thinking about saying solipsism with a lisp is pretty funny - tholipthithm.
Or, if you're Sean Connery - sholipshishm.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
At age 6 I discovered my inner voice. It would seem previous to this I was on auto-pilot. The voice in my head was me and at the same time, my witness/guide. Existence at all proves that God is not my enemy....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join