It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA seeks antidepressant suicide warning

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rrahim1
Dude what if Cho agreed to take Antidepressent's like Zoloft. I tried it before and the first little piece I took. I was sitting in class and I wasn't feeling like myself, I was edge, ready riot. That's why I'm saying that he must have known that it is a drug that get's you riled up. He must have taken alot and while it was kicking in he went nuts because the drug makes you crazy.

I agree with this. Let me add my experience with violence and antidepressants. While on antidepressant medication, I could consume alcohol and it did not affect me adversely at all. While coming off of antidepressants (even after I stopped taking them altogether), the same amount of alcohol I was accustomed to consuming caused me to become violent on more than one occasion and I only slightly remembered the details of what happened. When my boyfriend told me what I did and the things I said to him during these violent outbursts, it scared the heck out of me. If I had been out in public, I would have easily landed myself in jail or locked up in a mental institution.

And that is exactly what the FDA and Big Pharma wants to happen. For us to be dead, stupid or crazy.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
annestacey,

Of course it has effects. The government know's it does as well.

I just don't think the government cares.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It fit's with the Master plan.
1) Create economic despair.
2) Drug the population up with coc aine, marijuana, alcohol, extasy, heroin, antidepressents.
3) Watch the population hang themselves, shoot up the schools, drink themselves to death, go to jail, increase drinking driving accidents.
Finally #4) Come in to a environment of despair so we can emerge as the rulers of them all: inc drinking driving punishment, increase marijuana punishment, ban gun's from peoples possessions, crack down on drug users and fill up the jails. Take the rebelers and put them in jail. Whoever is left is a submissive sheep.

Drinking Driving accidents should partly be blamed on teh government. They make highway roads so damn narrow and close together. Only 2 freakn lanes give me a break. We need like 6 different lanes seriously. It's ridiciolous.

Antidepressents, people haniggn themselves committing suicide.

Drug's making slum's of neighborhoods and filling up jail's with rebellers.

Cops, money grubbing scum. Well take your money to lower your sentence or drop it all together. Judges would love to give u a lower sentence if you pay them more.e

They create life situation's where the people are hurt in the end.

When's the last time we saw War against Homelessness. War against Tobbacco companies. War against Slavery pay. War against rigged elections.

Until the people find a "trumpet" that is so loud it can be heard by every american in America. We'll never get our message out. The Internet is that page in the phonebook you have to search for to see the message. The television and hollywood is in your face. How can we compete?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here is an excerpt from an interview with Robert Whitaker, author of Mad In America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill. He claims that the new psychiatric drugs actually cause mental illness by inducing pathological changes in brain chemistry.

RW: ...Stephen Hyman, a well-known neuroscientist and the former director of the National Institute of Mental Health, wrote a paper in 1996 that looked at how psychiatric drugs affect the brain. He wrote that all these drugs create perturbations in neurotransmitter functions. And he notes that the brain, in response to this drug from the outside, alters its normal functions and goes through a series of compensatory adaptations.

In other words, it tries to adapt to the fact that an antipsychotic drug is blocking normal dopamine functions. Or in the case of antidepressants, it tries to compensate for the fact that you're blocking a normal reuptake of serotonin. The way it does this is to adapt in the opposite way. So, if you're blocking dopamine in the brain, the brain tries to put out more dopamine and it actually increases the number of dopamine receptors. So a person placed on antipsychotic drugs will end up with an abnormally high number of dopamine receptors in the brain.

If you give someone an antidepressant, and that tries to keep serotonin levels too high in the brain, it does exactly the opposite. It stops producing as much serotonin as it normally does and it reduces the number of serotonin receptors in the brain. So someone who is on an antidepressant, after a time ends up with an abnormally low level of serotonin receptors in the brain. And here's what Hyman concluded about this: After these changes happened, the patient's brain is functioning in a way that is "qualitatively as well as quantitatively different from the normal state." So what Stephen Hyman, former head of the NIMH, has done is present a paradigm for how these drugs affect the brain that shows that they're inducing a pathological state.

SS: So the paradox is there's no evidence for modern psychiatry's claim that there is any pathological biochemical imbalance in the brain that causes mental illness, but if you treat people with these new wonder drugs, that is what creates a pathological imbalance?

RW: Yes, these drugs disrupt normal brain chemistry. That's the real paradox here. And the real tragedy is, that even as we peddle these drugs as chemical balancers, chemical fixers, in truth we're doing precisely the opposite. We're taking a brain that has no known abnormal brain chemistry, and by placing people on the drugs, we're perturbing that normal chemistry.

Source (NewsTarget): Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rrahim1
It fit's with the Master plan.
1) Create economic despair.
2) Drug the population up with coc aine, marijuana, alcohol, extasy, heroin, antidepressents.

rrahim1 you are right. Just add in the fact that there are brain-damaging chemicals in the food supply, the water supply and the products we use everyday. That's the issue most people don't realize because they think our food, water and products are safe. They are NOT safe at all!

The chemicals we ingest everyday are mixing with each other in our bodies (plus changing their chemical makeup when mixed with our digestive systems) and with the drugs and alcohol that you mention in your post. If I can easily show how eating clean food versus chemically-enhanced food can change a person's mental state, think about what happens when you mix it all together. It is a very scary situation we're in!

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
annastacey,

Thankyou for yet another link.

I'm getting dumped on here because I handle my 30 years of depression without medicine.

I have and for last 3 years go through life without thinking of death. I use to think of it 24/7. Slowly, through the years, through alot of talk and retraining of my brain. Through God, my husband, and my children I can now enjoy life.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Shar, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Of course, I know that anti-depressants don't work for everyone. I never said they didn't.
You keep failing to realize the difference between MAJOR and MILD depression and misunderstanding what I'm saying. I have no time to write on this thread all that I know about depression, but you seem happy to fill in the blanks.

I'm not able to have a meaningful discussion with you because:
a) you have closed your mind and don't want to hear anything else (as evidenced by you saying that you know all there is to know about depression - something scientists would be able to claim but can't.)

b) You keep twisting my words and not addressing what I'm saying.

So...you aren't able to address any of the other things I stated and all you're able to do is put words in my mouth and then tell me you don't think I'm a psychologist?

This thread has become inane and I'm out of it now, I have better things to do than to try to educate those who refuse to learn anything new. And much new info has been discovered by scientists in the last 10 years.

One thing: Please note that I'm saying people with MAJOR depression need meds. Mild depression can be treated with diet, etc. for SOME people.
No, the meds don't always work - that's why some people continue to try electric shock therapy and for some, their depression is so serious that nothing will alleviate it. All of the above are known medical facts.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
forestlady,

Shar, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Of course, I know that anti-depressants don't work for everyone. I never said they didn't.

This sentence don't sound right here. I have already quoted you on P. 4 saying the exact opposite. so well do it again.

quote: forestlady,

If a person has major depression from abuse, then the ONLY thing that will help that person is meds.

It doesn't matter what caused it, it's still depression and it's still an imbalance in the brain and still can be alleviated with the right meds

It doesn't matter in that anti-depressants will work on depression, no matter what the cause.
There are any number of gungho, ignorant "shrinks" who will tell you that you can get thru any type of depression simply by counseling alone. This is not true.

forestlady,
No, the meds don't always work
Look above at your own quote. "The only thing that will help that person is medicine." Then here your saying no they don't always work. Your very confusing.

You want to say that

electric shock
is better than rethinking and talking it out. Wow!

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Shar,

Pay attention to what you eat. I'm telling you... over 90% of the food we eat has chemicals that cause depression. You should avoid anything containing MSG, Hydrogenated anything, and aspartame. It's not easy because the food industry is allowed to hide these items in other ingredients. Avoiding these chemicals will help a lot but it will force you to completely change your diet because everything has chemicals in it.

Here is some articles that discuss disease-causing foods:
Everyday groceries contain ingredients that cause heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis and other chronic diseases

Food manufacturers hide dangerous ingredients in everyday foods by using confusing terms on the label

Here are some really great articles that deal with healing depression:

Depression and mental disorders can be prevented and treated with simple healing foods

St. John's Wort proven more effective than antidepressant drugs for treating depression

The top five foods for beating depression

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
annestacey

Thankyou, I do try to watch what I eat. However, I think I get the msg to much.

The other 2 I do try and stay away from. But, the msg even though I heard of it, I never thought about not eating it. I think I thought it was just for taste. I am sure that could hurt us, now that I think about it.

Thanks for the headsup.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
thought i'd (hyper)link back to the related closed thread on the same topic.

click me!

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
billybob,

Yeah, I know. It would be nice if they would cut and paste their comments here. That's what I would of done and have many times. When I realize Its a closed thread cause of another one that was already started. They tell you post your comments on the other thread so thats what I do.

I have notice most people don't do that for some reason. I think everything in a late thread should be copied and put in with the original thread.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by Shar]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
yeah.
i was thinking it would be cool if when mods close a thread, they also put a link to the closed thread(just like i did). that way, only the interested would go to the old thread, but all those (related) ideas wouldn't be as buried in limbo.

or maybe we should just give ALL the threads zyprexa, zoloft, or, focusin, and then everyone could just sit and stare.

from wiki(i picked 'mood altering'):

# Lithium carbonate —- the first Food and Drug Administration-approved mood stabilizer, and still popular in treatment. Therapeutic drug monitoring required. Monitor blood lithium levels (therapeutic range: 0.6 or 0.8-1.2 mEq/L) and look for signs and symptoms of toxicity (such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, ataxia). See also lithium orotate, another lithium salt.
# Valproic acid (Depakene®), divalproex sodium (Depakote®), and sodium valproate (Depacon®) — Available in extended release form. Can be very irritating to the stomach, especially when taken as valproic acid. Liver function and CBC should be monitored. Therapeutic drug monitoring is required.
# Lamotrigine (Lamictal®) — Particularly effective for bipolar depression. Monitor for signs and symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome, very rare but can be fatal.
# Carbamazepine (Tegretol®) — CBC should be monitored; can lower white blood cell count. Therapeutic drug monitoring is required. Not FDA-approved for bipolar disorder, but widely used for many years.
# Gabapentin (Neurontin®) — Not FDA approved for bipolar disorder. Recent scientific studies suggest it is not an effective treatment, however many psychiatrists continue to use it.
# Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal®) — Not FDA approved for bipolar disorder.
# Topiramate (Topamax®

i say it's a crime to give people this crap.

side effects may include:
DEATH, nausea, diarrhea, liver failure, blindness, loss of erectile function, anoragasmia, and SUICIDAL DEPRESSION, and MANIA.

the 'cure' is definitely worse than the disease.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by billybob]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
billybob,

Thank you, so much for your post. I am glad for myself that I handle my depression without medicine. Cause today I say I’m pretty normal. I LOVE LIFE for a change. Did you hear me. I said, I LOVE LIFE.

Wow, That sure has changed. From the time I was 6 years old I wanted to run away or die. I just know I didn’t want to live. I HATED LIFE. I HATED LIVING. I wanted to go home to my God. He obviously wanted me to live for some reason. Cause my many attempts failed.

So here I am. 39 years old and I have told my story for the whole world to read. Life did not come easy for me that’s for sure. I had a lot of support from my husband. God, and reading my Bible. My children also helped me a lot.
These verses helped me so much as well.

Matthew 18:6 kjv
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
(Now I see what’s going to happen to him here.)
Ephesians 6
4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
(He did not do this. So I am not going to give him another day of my life.)

Colossians 3
21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
(He angered me and discouraged me. So I am moving on without him in my mind now.)

In the beginning I use to be afraid to have a kid. I was afraid I would hurt them like I was. It didn’t happen. I have never, ever hurt them. I believe their outlook on life has also helped me a lot. I see through me and my husband the way a kid should be raise. I see how wrong I was done. When I realize these things. I also realize I can move on with my life.

I was a very slow learner with this fact. Took me a very long time. So far my mind has had more bad days than good. But, that has all changed now.

Its so refreshing to see life different. To be able to just go outside and see the sun. To not be afraid to go to a store. To not look at people and be afraid of them.

My son thinks I’m still paranoid. I just don’t trust many folks that’s all.

But, I am 100% better. I did it without any medicine. So now I don’t have to worrying about any side effects lingering in my body.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
To those of you who claim depression from chemical imbalance.
How did your doctor diagnose this imbalance?
Did they run tests?
And if they did, they should have come up with the exact chemicals that were unbalanced, and prescribed them in balanced proportions.

I doubt that any of you had a deficiency of prozac or zoloft or whatever.

Your body is made of the food & water you consume the air you breathe and whatever nefarious chemicals our modern environment has to offer.

Most of you may find that you are deficient in Iodine.
Many of you could benefit from low dose Lithium which is available from health food stores.

Do some reasearch on it.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Here is the problem we face and it will not get any better as long as we have DC being ran by special interest groups. All of our politicians, Demo or Repub, are bought and paid for by big business and have been for years.

Due in large part to the funding from the drug industry, the FDA can no longer be trusted to protect and safeguard Americans. Financial control of the FDA by the pharmaceutical manufacturers is unethical and the practice has corrupted the nation's oldest, largest and most powerful consumer protection agency. Due to very large political contributions from the pharmaceutical industry, Washington politicians and the White House have proven to be supportive of the brand name pharmaceutical industry to the detriment of U.S. citizens. Americans can not remain idle. Americans must act, act now and act decisively.

www.fdastudy.com...

[edit on 6-5-2007 by lonewolf37]

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Here is some more interesing information. Check out these numbers.

In addition to campaign contributions to elected officials and candidates, companies, labor unions, and other organizations spend billions of dollars each year to lobby Congress and federal agencies. Some special interests retain lobbying firms, many of them located along Washington's legendary K Street; others have lobbyists working in-house. We've got totals spent on lobbying, beginning in 1998, for everyone from AAI Corp. to Zurich Financial.

Client
Total

US Chamber of Commerce
$317,164,680

American Medical Assn
$156,375,500

General Electric
$137,770,000

American Hospital Assn
$129,114,026

Edison Electric Institute
$105,642,628

AARP
$105,332,064

Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America
$104,302,000

National Assn of Realtors
$97,530,000

Business Roundtable
$97,060,000

Northrop Grumman
$95,682,374

Blue Cross/Blue Shield
$84,270,649

Freddie Mac
$81,884,048

Lockheed Martin
$80,206,965

Boeing Co
$77,898,310

Verizon Communications
$75,836,522

Philip Morris
$75,500,000

General Motors
$71,158,483

Fannie Mae
$70,957,000

Ford Motor Co
$67,670,808

US Telecom Assn
$65,280,000

www.opensecrets.org...

Note the "Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America $104,302,000" spent by the pharmaceutical industry and this doesn't include individual company contributions made independant of the representative society. Who know what the real number is. You and I pay for this crap every time we make a purchase. It's legalized bribary, plain and simple.

Total Lobbying Spending

$1.45 Billion

$1.45 Billion

$1.57 Billion

$1.63 Billion

$1.83 Billion

$2.06 Billion

$2.19 Billion

$2.42 Billion

$2.54 Billion

This is not the original format, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

[edit on 8-5-2007 by lonewolf37]

[edit on 8-5-2007 by lonewolf37]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I take it you didn't read my post right above yours.

There is no way a pill is going to help someone who has been abused. Abuse causes depression as well. However, it's two types of depression. The doctors need to discover what type of depression it is.

What if society doesn't see the form of abuse as abuse or significant abuse? What if society doesn't share your values? What if only hypocrisy is rewarded and those doing the real work barely get by if they are relatively lucky (and definately haven't been given the liability of having their minds twisted so their reactions are counterproductive until it is simply to late to change things)?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join